Video Games News/Buzz thread

thrILL!

7 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I expect 2 or 3 months after Redfall.

Would make sense, they want at least one AAA game launching on gamepass every quarter.

Redfall / Starfield / Avowed / Hellblade II

With smaller stuff in between, like the coalition’s small game, the one frontman The Banner Saga team. As well as stuff like Starfield expansions at some point.

Would shift Fable / Project Midnight  / Project Cobalt / Contraband / Perfect Dark Into 2024 at the least, if they weren’t already.

Is Xbox Series X worth buying? I'm a PlayStation guy but it's so much harder/more expensive to buy one and I want to have a next gen console when the new college football game comes out.

If I am to buy one, is Series X or S better? Or is a PS5 at a higher markup better to buy?

Edited by beekay414

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Is Xbox Series X worth buying? I'm a PlayStation guy but it's so much harder/more expensive to buy one and I want to have a next gen console when the new college football game comes out.

If I am to buy one, is Series X or S better? Or is a PS5 at a higher markup better to buy?

Do you play anything outside of sports games? I think that would affect my recommendation some.

With both next gen consoles, I think they’ve  been great at boosting games for best quality of life. Quick resume, barely any load times are great. As is higher frame rates. Games like Cyberpunk really shined.

Xbox invests in some features that are really great like back compat, auto hdr and frame rate boost that really upgrade older games to be the best versions. And it’s just inherently a thing, not an upgrade charge like it is often on PlayStation. Smart Delivery is like a background thing that just works on Xbox, it makes sure you are playing the best version of the game. Whereas it can be finicky on PlayStation to manually do it. As someone with both I thought that was overblown but it is a rather distinct difference.

Neither console has really given us much in the way of big reasons to upgrade when it comes to games. We’ve yet to really get a huge AAA game from them that’s only next gen, same goes for the rest of the industry.

Probably the first one will be Starfield from Bethesda next spring on Xbox. Game will be massive. They have Redfall from Arkane, Avowed from Obsidian and Hellblade II from Ninja Theory all slated  for next year too exclusively to next gen / Xbox. 

Sony right now looks like their first one will be Spider-Man 2 next fall, I think Final Fantasy 16 might be too?. With some more niche stuff / high AA like Returnal, Ratchet and Clank out on only  PlayStation.

They both have subscriptions now with Gamepass and the higher tiers of PlayStation+.

On top of online access, that higher PS+ service gives you access to the Ubisoft vault and PlayStation vault of games. Like EA they throw their old games in there after a certain amount of time. As someone without a PlayStation for a bit, it was nice to just pay that monthly fee and catch-up on stuff I missed so far this fall.

The comp in Gamepass Ultimate gives online, access to EA’s vault and Day one Xbox releases. So all the games I mentioned earlier will just be there for subscribers out the gate, not 6-12 months later. EA’s vault will add the sports games after their season typically. And they invest more in monthly games added to the service right now from new indies or AAA. If you like live service games they give you like monthly skins in a lot of those. The Activision deal will go through In the next 6 months, so after that Call of Duty will get added and start shipping day one on Gamepass. I think a lot of people will like not have to spend $70 on it every year. Diablo IV will probably launch day one on gamepass given when it’s coming out. 

Also get access to cloud streaming. So like if you just have your phone or something, you can play over the internet. It’s nice when I’m out of town, all I have to do is bring a controller. Some games have touch controls and any Bluetooth controller works for it.

The college football game is a couple years away, the only real advantage either will have is it’ll be on gamepass ultimare for people probably in January or February after the seasons are done. But if you’re day one then that doesn’t matter.

The services are really the big difference at this point.

Hardware wise they are practically the same. Series XS has some slightly newer software things baked in, that will help it edge out performance more as UE5 and other next gen engines really go online. But it’s not a huge difference.

Series S does everything that the Series X does… at $200 less, except two major things. It doesn’t have a disc drive, and it produces natively for HD and not 4K. It has ai systems that converts it to 4K if you have one of those tvs, but it’s not natively making that picture. So if you don’t mind be that you can upgrade to next gen for $300 with the Series S, right now Target has a sale for $250 and you get a controller too (also if you have target circle make sure you clip the 10% coupon in your account). Essentially getting the console for under $200 then.

I hope that helped. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Not really, no

Then yeah, doesn’t really matter.

Xbox has been paying for MLB the Show to be on gamepass, plus EA Sports all get put into the vault. So you can play some of the ones you don’t want to pay for.

But I believe now you can also pay for EA Play on PlayStation separately. They held out for a long time.

So slight edge to Xbox there I guess.

• Like 1

Konami is remastering suikoden and I'm here for it.

Not sure what to do with all the clear cut cashing in on my nostalgia. Remastered shin megami tensei: nocturne. Suikodens. Final fantasies. Tactics ogre has a remaster coming out. Such obvious money grabs, but on the other hand I can't give them my money fast enough 😂

On 10/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, Forge said:

Konami is remastering suikoden and I'm here for it.

Not sure what to do with all the clear cut cashing in on my nostalgia. Remastered shin megami tensei: nocturne. Suikodens. Final fantasies. Tactics ogre has a remaster coming out. Such obvious money grabs, but on the other hand I can't give them my money fast enough 😂

Speaking of old school remaster type games. Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes is being developed as a kind of successor/call back to the Suikoden series, made from Yo****aka Murayama (who created Suikoden), 505 games is publishing.  I had backed this game 2 and a half years ago on kickstarter and they've just this year been advertising around games conferences for it. I cannot wait.  It looks just like a Suikoden sequel, practically. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/08/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes-continues-to-look-stunning-in-new-trailer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes/description

58 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Speaking of old school remaster type games. Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes is being developed as a kind of successor/call back to the Suikoden series, made from Yo****aka Murayama (who created Suikoden), 505 games is publishing.  I had backed this game 2 and a half years ago on kickstarter and they've just this year been advertising around games conferences for it. I cannot wait.  It looks just like a Suikoden sequel, practically. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/08/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes-continues-to-look-stunning-in-new-trailer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes/description

Yep, I'm stoked for this one as well. Will probably get it day one 😂

On 10/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, beekay414 said:

Not really, no

Considering sports games are still not cross-platform, that should be #1 - do you have any friends with a specific console? Other than that, I agree with the Xbox recommendation considering the value you get on GamePass is much more than what Sony Offers. For exclusives, I think Sony still has a clear lead, albeit smaller with the Bethesda purchase.

15 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Considering sports games are still not cross-platform, that should be #1 - do you have any friends with a specific console? Other than that, I agree with the Xbox recommendation considering the value you get on GamePass is much more than what Sony Offers. For exclusives, I think Sony still has a clear lead, albeit smaller with the Bethesda purchase.

they aren't? thats crazy

Yeah i was gonna go into a more detailed exclusives breakdown but after @beekay414said it was only sports they play, didn't seem worth it.
Though it did make me realize there is a decent shot we get a God of War 3 and Elder Scrolls 6 both dropping Fall 2026 exclusive to one of them.
That alone is a year to look forward to,though I'm wary of TESVI sticking that supposed target sill after Starfield got bumped back. But it's a massive studio and won't have the tech/covid delays like Starfield had, so who knows.

If you're only playing sports games, I wouldn't say the price difference/difficulty in acquiring a system is really worth it.  I would first try to find out what your friends have, if you have any interest in doing an online dynasty, with them.  If you aren't interested in that, and only plan on playing NCAA offline, I would honestly go Series X, and that's as a PS5 owner. 

Gamepass gives you an in to maybe try out some other games, if you ever felt inclined to dabble in something, but didn't feel like buying a game or know what to buy.  It's currently better than PS+, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  I went to PS4 from 360 just for MLB: The Show, and then just stayed in that eco system for the next generation jump.   If the landscape were how it currently is, I probably never would've moved back to Sony to have the exclusives influence my choice how they do now.  

NCAA is also releasing this coming summer.  2023.  So it's not a couple years away for wherever that was mentioned.  That has been confirmed.  I do not know if they will have online dynasty in this release, but I would guarantee that they will in the following iterations, if they don't have it ready for this release.  

I would go Series X over S, though.  

On 10/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, Kiltman said:

Then yeah, doesn’t really matter.

Xbox has been paying for MLB the Show to be on gamepass, plus EA Sports all get put into the vault. So you can play some of the ones you don’t want to pay for.

But I believe now you can also pay for EA Play on PlayStation separately. They held out for a long time.

So slight edge to Xbox there I guess.

You can, it's just not included in the PS+ subscription like Gamepass has.  It's $5 a month or $30 for a year on PS.