Video Games News/Buzz thread

thrILL!

On 10/16/2022 at 11:57 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Probably worth it's own thread but apparently we're getting a new Silent Hill game and an announcement coming on Wednesday. Personally cannot wait for this. One of my favorite series!

Didnt know Konami still made games that werent online slot machines anymore.    How nice.

Annoys me how they are still sitting on two of my favorite IPs and refuse to do anything with them (Castlevania and Metal Gear).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 43M said:

Didnt know Konami still made games that werent online slot machines anymore.    How nice.

Annoys me how they are still sitting on two of my favorite IPs and refuse to do anything with them (Castlevania and Metal Gear).

I would love a new Castlevania game!

Teaser looks pretty good for the new Silent Hill game. I will certainly pick it up whenever we get it. Takes place in 1960's Japan

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 43M said:

Looks nice, but is it just another "Dark Souls" type game?      

I need to play those. Maybe one of these days..... probably not, TBH. The new FFXVI trailer got me way too pumped for that and I've already got a decent queue that will last me until the summer when that (hopefully) gets released. FFVRII2 is (hopefully) coming a year from now so I will have more important things to play lol. 

They do look great though. Heard they're crazy difficult which I don't mind either.

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I need to play those. Maybe one of these days..... probably not, TBH. The new FFXVI trailer got me way too pumped for that and I've already got a decent queue that will last me until the summer when that (hopefully) gets released. FFVRII2 is (hopefully) coming a year from now so I will have more important things to play lol. 

They do look great though. Heard they're crazy difficult which I don't mind either.

My main issue with the Dark Souls type games isnt the difficulty, per se, but rather the fact that they all make you do an entire long area/section over again and again and again if you screw up.    I get that thats "part of the difficulty", but as Ive gotten older, I dont have the patience with that stuff that I used to.     I dont like playing for several areas and MAYBE getting through one section that I ran back through 20 times.      Again, I dont mind dying over and over....but I dont want to constantly replay a section after it took me 30-45 minutes to get near the end.      If it had even one more checkpoint in between, Id be cool with that, but no.    They are often obnoxiously long and if you die near the end....essentially a complete waste 30+ minutes.

On top of that, while the gameplay is fun, its nothing special IMO.    I get the appeal of the games, but I dont understand why they are THAT popular.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 43M said:

as Ive gotten older, I dont have the patience with that stuff that I used to. 

Anytime I die in an RPG and lose 5 minutes of progress I consider just shutting down the game. Ain't nobody got time for that. Story/Easy mode is where I live. Life is stressful enough without challenging games. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 43M said:

My main issue with the Dark Souls type games isnt the difficulty, per se, but rather the fact that they all make you do an entire long area/section over again and again and again if you screw up.    I get that thats "part of the difficulty", but as Ive gotten older, I dont have the patience with that stuff that I used to.     I dont like playing for several areas and MAYBE getting through one section that I ran back through 20 times.      Again, I dont mind dying over and over....but I dont want to constantly replay a section after it took me 30-45 minutes to get near the end.      If it had even one more checkpoint in between, Id be cool with that, but no.    They are often obnoxiously long and if you die near the end....essentially a complete waste 30+ minutes.

On top of that, while the gameplay is fun, its nothing special IMO.    I get the appeal of the games, but I dont understand why they are THAT popular.   

That would absolutely get annoying. Every RPG I've played lately has a continuous save feature. They really don't have that now? Valhalla's might actually be overly aggressive to be honest lol

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That would absolutely get annoying. Every RPG I've played lately has a continuous save feature. They really don't have that now? Valhalla's might actually be overly aggressive to be honest lol

Yes and no. Elden Ring has a marker outside pretty much every boss room so if you die you can walk back in without having to go all the way back to your last bonfire. The game was just to huge for there to not to be a save marker outside boss rooms. Not having a save point outside a boss room was a design choice in Dark Souls. DS games are just made to be incredibly punishing for any mistakes you make. But honestly after you get used to the layout of a level you just end up running past all the enemies to get to the boss room quicker anyways. 

On 12/16/2022 at 2:45 PM, Heimdallr said:

Anytime I die in an RPG and lose 5 minutes of progress I consider just shutting down the game. Ain't nobody got time for that. Story/Easy mode is where I live. Life is stressful enough without challenging games. 

As I have gotten older, I have also shifted to this balance on RPGs. 

We bought my son an Oculus 2 for Christmas, anyone have recommendations for games that an 8 year old would enjoy? I've never played any VR games so this is all new to me. Fron what ive read, Fujii, Beat Sabre, and Fruit Ninja are some I'm pretty sure he'll like

2 hours ago, adamq said:

We bought my son an Oculus 2 for Christmas, anyone have recommendations for games that an 8 year old would enjoy? I've never played any VR games so this is all new to me. Fron what ive read, Fujii, Beat Sabre, and Fruit Ninja are some I'm pretty sure he'll like

Beat Saber is an absolute must. Superhot is awesome too.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 12:30 PM, 43M said:

Just started playing Elden Ring and this is like the perfect summation of my experience lol.

• Like 1