2020 Overreaction Thread- Start Jalen Hurts

ninjapirate

5 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Imo it is obvious Carson is trying to be the 2017 version of himself too much and it’s causing him to just force stuff way too much. He needs to let the game come to him and trust his arm and mechanics more rather than trying to be Superman on every play. Just play football. I highly doubt he has motivation issues, it’s more likely the opposite and that he is just trying too hard. The guy has always been a grinder since he came to the Eagles. 

The hero ball stuff for sure, but then at times he looks like he wants to be as from his 2016/17 self as possible by never leaving the pocket or looking to run when it's there.

Just wanted to point out a pretty troubling comparison that was unintentionally brought to my attention today.

Carson Wentz is following the career path of Derek Carr. In 2016 Carr was having an MVP caliber season until Trent Cole broke Derek's Fibula in week 15 ending Carr's season. Since then, for whatever reason, Carr hasn't been the same and I'm pretty Raiders fans would take like 20+ QBs over him right now despite them being 2-0. (Sidenote: Carr has looked better on the stat sheet since a head coaching coaching change 🤔)

After Wentz' awful start to this season should we be pretty worried here? I'm trying not to sound so knee-jerky after two games but this is the overreaction thread so give me a break.

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Very interesting listen on inside the birds podcast today. Caplan said he talked to a source that played on offense in the league and says he thinks Carson is not listening to coaches and freelancing way too much. Honestly, with the way he has played recently, I feel like this take is spot on. 

Yep. I included a quote from a Bleeding Green Nation interview with a reporter who said the same things from earlier in the week after the Washington game on Monday, but nobody probably read it cause there's a lot of text in those few posts I made lol.

It's obvious they need to reel him in though.

15 hours ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

Just wanted to point out a pretty troubling comparison that was unintentionally brought to my attention today.

Carson Wentz is following the career path of Derek Carr. In 2016 Carr was having an MVP caliber season until Trent Cole broke Derek's Fibula in week 15 ending Carr's season. Since then, for whatever reason, Carr hasn't been the same and I'm pretty Raiders fans would take like 20+ QBs over him right now despite them being 2-0. (Sidenote: Carr has looked better on the stat sheet since a head coaching coaching change 🤔)

After Wentz' awful start to this season should we be pretty worried here? I'm trying not to sound so knee-jerky after two games but this is the overreaction thread so give me a break.

He has gotten progressively worse since 2017. 

17 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Very interesting listen on inside the birds podcast today. Caplan said he talked to a source that played on offense in the league and says he thinks Carson is not listening to coaches and freelancing way too much. Honestly, with the way he has played recently, I feel like this take is spot on. 

Maybe in his mind he is trying to prove something because of the hurts pick? 

29 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

He has gotten progressively worse since 2017. 

Honestly there wasn't as much of a drop in 2018 as many people like to say. Last year things started to fall off, but there was numerous injuries and he was also himself still coming off of rehab, but this year? It's all on him.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/9/24/21453961/official-nfl-media-research-department-twitter-account-aggressively-dunked-doug-pederson-nfl

Doug got owned, deservingly so. The “you haven’t played in the NFL” card is so freaking stupid. 

Meh. I heard the quote. I think it was ESP or someone. I think the fact that he said “layup” peeved Doug. It would peeve me too. Doug responded that “there’s no such thing as a layup”. Which I can understand the sentiment. He did come off like a jerk and that’s a little uncalled for. But the reporter didn’t exactly phrase the question much with respect. Maybe they were “layups” but I think the reporter could have phrased it differently. There’s definitely times when that response is old and tired and fruitless but I don’t think this is one. He’s certainly frustrated and that’s the tried and true response for coaches and players getting obviously annoyed with reporters so there’s some warrant to the criticism. But I think it’s more a combination of Doug being frustrated and the reporter being disrespectful that elicited that response more than just Doug being a jerk. 

6 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Meh. I heard the quote. I think it was ESP or someone. I think the fact that he said “layup” peeved Doug. It would peeve me too. Doug responded that “there’s no such thing as a layup”. Which I can understand the sentiment. He did come off like a jerk and that’s a little uncalled for. But the reporter didn’t exactly phrase the question much with respect. Maybe they were “layups” but I think the reporter could have phrased it differently. There’s definitely times when that response is old and tired and fruitless but I don’t think this is one. He’s certainly frustrated and that’s the tried and true response for coaches and players getting obviously annoyed with reporters so there’s some warrant to the criticism. But I think it’s more a combination of Doug being frustrated and the reporter being disrespectful that elicited that response more than just Doug being a jerk. 

I dont think the term lay up is disrespectful but obviously doug is probably frustrated currently so you cant blame him for his reaction. 

6 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I dont think the term lay up is disrespectful but obviously doug is probably frustrated currently so you cant blame him for his reaction. 

I disagree. When you’re talking to a former NFL QB and your job is to be objective,  I don’t think there’s any room to ask a question like that. Maybe like, “We know Carson isn’t the most accurate QB but he was missing some throws he usually makes. Do you find yourself concerned about that and is it correctable?” The question still implies struggle and also isn’t a lollipop question. To throw in that part of Carson’s job is easy (layup), was unnecessary. I can see how the reporter wouldn’t think so as they’re just providing different verbiage. But I can see how Doug took offense. But yes, he’s clearly frustrated. As I think most coaches would be. 

To another point, does anyone think the drafting of Hurts really did something mentally to Carson? I don’t think this has been brought it. We all think it probably wouldn’t bother him but maybe having to look over his shoulder is causing some PTSD. At this point, Foles was the worst thing to happen to Carson career-wise.