ninjapirate

2020 Overreaction Thread- Start Jalen Hurts

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

To another point, does anyone think the drafting of Hurts really did something mentally to Carson? I don’t think this has been brought it. We all think it probably wouldn’t bother him but maybe having to look over his shoulder is causing some PTSD. At this point, Foles was the worst thing to happen to Carson career-wise. 

I have casually alluded to it in a few posts but I do think the drafting of Hurts has negatively affected him. 

Anyone else think the franchise was already worried about Carson? The drafting of Hurts makes a whole lot more sense if they already knew Carson was looking poor in practice or something.

Why do we not have a replacement for Peters coming in for visits yet? The guy is an absolute liability and should not be starting.

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

Why do we not have a replacement for Peters coming in for visits yet? The guy is an absolute liability and should not be starting.

Why did we not sign somebody when he was trying extort the team before the season?

Why did we not sign a viable backup earlier in the offseason?

Why did we draft JJAW over DK Metcalf?

why did we draft Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round?

Why did we draft Derek Barnett over Tre White? 

All these questions have the same answer. 

On 9/25/2020 at 8:47 AM, ninjapirate said:

I have casually alluded to it in a few posts but I do think the drafting of Hurts has negatively affected him. 

If that's the case, then I guess we just expedited the process of finding out we have a mentally fragile QB. Packers draft a QB in the 1st and what does Rodgers do? Comes out looking sharper than ever. I don't doubt the possibility that the Hurts pick shook Wentz's confidence and is a factor in his poor play, but it's no excuse to me or something to blame Howie over. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Why did we not sign somebody when he was trying extort the team before the season?

Please Make It STOP! GIF by Kimariesings | Gfycat

2 hours ago, Phire said:

Anyone else think the franchise was already worried about Carson? The drafting of Hurts makes a whole lot more sense if they already knew Carson was looking poor in practice or something.

@Phire welcome back.... you post every 2 months.

But, to answer your question I think it had more to do with Carson's injury history rather than play. It's not like the Eagles had him in the building in 2020 before training camp cause of COVID. So, not sure what they would be going off. Roseman was probably trying to cover his butt in a worst case scenario and also get back to having a good back-up which we've lacked since Foles left, cause Sudfeld hadn't progressed much... if at all. Not to mention we weren't in a money position to be spending big on an expensive veteran back-up.

Wentz last year did a good job with carrying a bunch of practice squad/lesser talented receivers to some much needed wins last year with poise and a lot of 12 personnel and long drives due to a lack of explosiveness which makes what he has turned into this season all the more peculiar.

• Like 1

I don't think Hurts has effected him one bit TBH.  What has IMO is the change in Offensive philosophy Howie/Doug was attempting to instal going into the season. Unfortnetly in a Covid year where you physically couldn't install and practice it through OTA's, Mini and Preseason games.

They drafted and attempted to sign via FA 4 Speedsters at WR. Clearly were attempted to go full KC type weapons on offense in 1 offseason. Replacing what might of been the complete and utter opposite approach last year with ZERO speed,  no weapons, no deep threats for an entire season.

Add the fact the OL was and still is in constant flux, Wentz is pressing,  trying to do to much, playing hero ball aka Brett Farve Syndrome when it's not needed. 

This is the same QB who only threw 7 or fewer INT in every season of his career leading up to this year. Now he sits here with 6 in 3 games and you honestly think that's just coincidence? Or is/was it the change in philosophy? Now with all the injuries again to anyone with Speed they will be forced to go back to the 17' type offense becuase they are stuck with the likes of Greg Ward, JJ Suck, Hightower and Ertz/Sanders. 

While his play has been atrocious  , so has the Defense,  Play calling, Penalties and inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. If Carson was playing great he'd be masking and covering up all of those issues that will individually and collectively cost you games. Instead he's sucked as well and is the sole reason for this start with some if you. 👍

Edited by Nabbs4u

17 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I don't think Tre White was high on many draft boards at the time.

I wanted Malik Hooker or Marlon Humphrey.

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think Tre White was high on many draft boards at the time.

I wanted Malik Hooker or Marlon Humphrey.

Tre White was my boy. I big wanted him at 14. 

This is why I should have Howie's job.....lol 

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

Tre White was my boy. I big wanted him at 14. 

This is why I should have Howie's job.....lol 

Fulton :( 

Honestly, if the Eagles started Hurts this week, they'd probably win. The 49ers are crap at stopping running QB's this year. 

17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

@Phire welcome back.... you post every 2 months.

But, to answer your question I think it had more to do with Carson's injury history rather than play. It's not like the Eagles had him in the building in 2020 before training camp cause of COVID. So, not sure what they would be going off. Roseman was probably trying to cover his butt in a worst case scenario and also get back to having a good back-up which we've lacked since Foles left, cause Sudfeld hadn't progressed much... if at all. Not to mention we weren't in a money position to be spending big on an expensive veteran back-up.

Wentz last year did a good job with carrying a bunch of practice squad/lesser talented receivers to some much needed wins last year with poise and a lot of 12 personnel and long drives due to a lack of explosiveness which makes what he has turned into this season all the more peculiar.

Not bad points. We haven't seen the Carson we saw pre-ACL tear, and neither has the franchise. I guess I could expand the evaluation period to anything he's done since he's come back, which is basically playing at an average level at best. Even if they couldn't evaluate this offseason, there's plenty of sample size at this point suggesting Carson won't be the QB we once saw play at a MVP level.

The Jalen pick was shocking because we still believed Carson was a franchise QB. With each passing game where he looks like anything but a franchise QB... the less shocking the Jalen pick gets.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't think Hurts has effected him one bit TBH.  What has IMO is the change in Offensive philosophy Howie/Doug was attempting to instal going into the season. Unfortnetly in a Covid year where you physically couldn't install and practice it through OTA's, Mini and Preseason games.

They drafted and attempted to sign via FA 4 Speedsters at WR. Clearly were attempted to go full KC type weapons on offense in 1 offseason. Replacing what might of been the complete and utter opposite approach last year with ZERO speed,  no weapons, no deep threats for an entire season.

Add the fact the OL was and still is in constant flux, Wentz is pressing,  trying to do to much, playing hero ball aka Brett Farve Syndrome when it's not needed. 

This is the same QB who only threw 7 or fewer INT in every season of his career leading up to this year. Now he sits here with 6 in 3 games and you honestly think that's just coincidence? Or is/was it the change in philosophy? Now with all the injuries again to anyone with Speed they will be forced to go back to the 17' type offense becuase they are stuck with the likes of Greg Ward, JJ Suck, Hightower and Ertz/Sanders. 

While his play has been atrocious  , so has the Defense,  Play calling, Penalties and inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. If Carson was playing great he'd be masking and covering up all of those issues that will individually and collectively cost you games. Instead he's sucked as well and is the sole reason for this start with some if you. 👍

He’s literally the worst starting QB this year so far. Maybe there’s some validity to those points but a good/great QB would struggle a bit. They don’t completely implode and look like a 3rd stringer. Aaron Rodgers, albeit head and shoulders above Wentz, has had all that and more in his career and still has looked at the very least competent. Trubisky has been benched and he’s been better than Wentz. He’s played like utter crap. He doesn’t need anyone giving him excuses. 

• Like 1