College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

49 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

After yesterday I just want to trade down until I have about a dozen picks in rounds 2/3/4 and start building some depth, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

we’ve got some nice top end talent, but the middle and bottom of our roster is not good.

IF Baker isn't the answer (give him ALL of this year obviously), and I don't have a shot at Lawrence or Fields, then I'm 100% down with that.

IF I have a shot at either of those guys, I'm drafting him, putting him at the helm of an offense with firepower everywhere and a very good OL that will keep him upright and a dominant running scheme, and I'm not looking back. From there, the next couple of drafts I'm prioritizing almost exclusively defense and reloading on areas of depth and future need while we let some of those guys walk in FA and get comp picks.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

IF Baker isn't the answer (give him ALL of this year obviously), and I don't have a shot at Lawrence or Fields, then I'm 100% down with that.

IF I have a shot at either of those guys, I'm drafting him, putting him at the helm of an offense with firepower everywhere and a very good OL that will keep him upright and a dominant running scheme, and I'm not looking back. From there, the next couple of drafts I'm prioritizing almost exclusively defense and reloading on areas of depth and future need while we let some of those guys walk in FA and get comp picks.

We’re not gonna be that bad (or shouldn’t be), but ok. 

We honestly need 2-3 mid round or higher linebackers, a safety or two, a corner, 2 DE’s and a DT.

It’s headed towards week 2 and we’re prolly gonna be starting some UDFA at LT, LB and safety, not due to players exceeding their draft stock, but due to injuries.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’re not gonna be that bad (or shouldn’t be), but ok. 

Yeah, hence the IF in all caps, but I always feel the need to specify here, otherwise I open myself up to the specifics police. :)

We honestly need 2-3 mid round or higher linebackers, a safety or two, a corner, 2 DE’s and a DT.

I'll be honest, our complete lack of any concerted effort or attempt to draft a top tier on ball/non EDGE LB here is one of the reasons our defense is and has been so bad. Look at Pitt, Balt, and other viable contenders (New England) over the last 15+ years, and they get dudes high (in the first and early 2nd) who then become cornerstones of their defense, and they have a lot of production and are consistently elite defenses on a yearly basis. Meanwhile, we plug in dudes who are 4th rounders, once in a while who pan out, but are also guys like Beaux Bell and Ben Taylor types, then wonder why our defense is truly awful. It's infuriating. 

It’s headed towards week 2 and we’re prolly gonna be starting some UDFA at LT, LB and safety, not due to players exceeding their draft stock, but due to injuries.

You could absolutely justify 3 LB, 2 safeties, a corner, and about 3-4 more OL as HIGH PRIORITIES over the next year or two. Throw in other areas like perhaps WR if we deal OBJ and/or Jarvis, plus RB depth is always something to look at (should be mid round types), and that's a lot of holes to fill, with maybe the biggest question mark at the QB position.