College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d look to get 10-11 picks, draft an OT, WR and RB and then every other pick on defense.

I'd try to take a 3rd-4th Round RB every 2-3 years, and if we get a WR, I want a big bodied outside guy. The Red Zone threat and move the chains thread outside the numbers will open up the TE and slot WR/Jarvis game exponentially, and then you have a RB out of the backfield in the flats...whereas right now, that other "outside guy" doesn't exist and limits things to one side of the field in the NFL often times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

After tonight I’m trading down until I have about 8 picks in rounds 2, 3 and 4 to add some actual talent and depth to this defense.

These vets are awful.

Is there a draft in the past decade where trading down would not have been your first choice? 😆 I love the “after tonight” stipulation. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Is there a draft in the past decade where trading down would not have been your first choice? 😆 I love the “after tonight” stipulation. 

This past draft.   I was consistent in saying I wanted a tackle at 10.

2018.  I wanted a QB at 1. I did want to move down from 4.

2017.  I wanted Myles. I did want to move down from 12.

im not gonna pretend I remember all my preferences in order past that.

I want the next 2 draft classes + free agency periods to be all defense.

If things work out with OBJ, I could see the entire starting 11 on that side of the ball returning next year. Baker will be back no matter what, even if he has a bad year. I can’t think of anybody on offense we would just get rid of besides OBJ. Then again, a year is a eternity away.

31 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I want the next 2 draft classes + free agency periods to be all defense.

If things work out with OBJ, I could see the entire starting 11 on that side of the ball returning next year. Baker will be back no matter what, even if he has a bad year. I can’t think of anybody on offense we would just get rid of besides OBJ. Then again, a year is a eternity away.

I get your motivation, but ignoring that side of the ball entirely is how you end up with holes in 2-3 years.

As of now we have the potential to be set with starters, but we still need to be looking for eventual replacements for guys like Bitonio, Tretter (if Harris ain’t it), perhaps a WR or two, etc.  We don’t need to spend firsts or anything, but I wouldn’t pass up a solid G prospect in R3/4, etc.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

You can just sign guys like that off the streets. They might not be as good as Bitonio, but the Steelers routinely just sign free agents that plug and play.

Do they?  They drafted DeCastro and Faneca in the first round, Kemoeatu was drafted by them, Trai Essex was a 3rd rounder, they just drafted Dotson in the 4th to sit behind DeCastro.

Obviously they HAVE signed UDFA previously but I wouldn’t say that’s their plan.

Just getting ahead of the game... you're welcome.

2021 FB ranking

# PLAYER H/W SCHOOL CLASS NOTES/STATUS
1 Tory Carter 6-0, 244 LSU SR  
2 Jeremiah Hall 6-2, 253 Oklahoma JR  
3 Carl Tucker 6-2, 248 Alabama SR  
4 Houston Heimuli 5-11, 257 Stanford JR  
5 Ben Mason 6-3, 254 Michigan SR  
6 Kylen Granson 6-3, 235 Southern Methodist SR  
7 Jamari Peacock 6-0, 245 x-Virginia SR  
8 Clint Ratkovich 6-1, 220 Western Illinois SR  
9 Seth Green 6-4, 240 Minnesota SR  
10 Giovanni Fauolo 6-2, 250 Nevada-Las Vegas SR