College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

For those who want a pass rusher, watch Kwity Paye. He’s a phenomenal athlete at 6’4 270.

Nothing in that highlight makes me want him tho. No highights vs tOSU OL, the only highlight vs Wisconsin was on a screen play, where he doesnt get blocked, and 3 highlights vs Iowa, one play was vs a guard, another was a coverage sack, where he was dead in the water the first 5 seconds or so ( shows his motor but not that great of a play), and the 3rd play vs Iowa, which was his only worth while play, was him being the LT on a hard inside stunt. The rest was him beating up lower tier big10 teams. Kinda sums up Harbs Michigan tenure. To me the only DE that wows me is rousseau. I rather target someone like Marvin Wilson

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

The guy with 6 career sacks in 3 yrs?

Stats don't always show the whole picture.  Phillips is relentless and has an arsenal of moves against offensive tackles.  He is always around the ball and when he isn't making the immediate impact play, he is usually the man causing the disruption.  Having him opposite Myles Garrett would be a nightmare for offensive lineman.

Interesting quote from Nick Saban.

It used to be that good defense beats good offense. Good defense doesn't beat good offense anymore," Saban told ESPN on Friday. "It's just like last week. Georgia has as good a defense as we do an offense, and we scored 41 points on them [in a 41-24 Alabama win]. That's not the way it used to be. It used to be if you had a good defense, other people weren't going to score. You were always going to be in the game.

"I'm telling you. It ain't that way anymore."

And how's that sit with Saban, one of the foremost defensive minds in the game and the architect of some of the more dominant defenses in college football over the past two decades?

"I don't like it," he said with a wry smile. "But we just have to make sure we have an offense that's that way and that explosive, which we have."

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Interesting quote from Nick Saban.

I think that applies more to college than to the pros though.

Good defenses still can win games in the NFL.  At a minimum a good defense can create turnovers and at least get more stops than the opposing team.

You need to score to win, but you also need impact talent on the defensive side of the ball.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that applies more to college than to the pros though.

Good defenses still can win games in the NFL.  At a minimum a good defense can create turnovers and at least get more stops than the opposing team.

You need to score to win, but you also need impact talent on the defensive side of the ball.

I think you’re right, but as we know, the nfl slowly follows college football.