College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

On 9/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, MWil23 said:

'll be honest, our complete lack of any concerted effort or attempt to draft a top tier on ball/non EDGE LB here is one of the reasons our defense is and has been so bad. Look at Pitt, Balt, and other viable contenders (New England) over the last 15+ years, and they get dudes high (in the first and early 2nd) who then become cornerstones of their defense, and they have a lot of production and are consistently elite defenses on a yearly basis. Meanwhile, we plug in dudes who are 4th rounders, once in a while who pan out, but are also guys like Beaux Bell and Ben Taylor types, then wonder why our defense is truly awful. It's infuriating. 

I completely disagree with this. the Steelers,  NE, and Ravens defenses arent good because they are investing high draft capital into LBs. those defenses are great established units. you are also talking about 3 of the best run organizations. they dont get stuck drafting needs but draft BPA or players they want and trade up or down to get for the right price  

you mention the years of drafting Bell and Taylor types but those browns defenses werent bad because of those LBs. those defenses were bad for multiple factors. they were poorly constructed, they had very little talent all over the 2 deep, and had crap DCs. those teams you mentioned were the complete opposite of that. 

Taki would look absolutely horrible if he played on this team 5-8yrs ago but he actually looked like he was developing by the last half of the year with a decent DL infront of him. might look even better with both the front end and back end looking improved. 

browns are getting to the point that they are not looking for that corner stone DB or DE, we hit on those. were not looking for a corner stone QB or LT, looks like we have those, so now the browns can kinda draft like the Ravens or Steelers. draft a Lb that falls to them that is a gift or target that LB you think is special and trade up. if they choose for those things

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:
On 9/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, MWil23 said:

'll be honest, our complete lack of any concerted effort or attempt to draft a top tier on ball/non EDGE LB here is one of the reasons our defense is and has been so bad. Look at Pitt, Balt, and other viable contenders (New England) over the last 15+ years, and they get dudes high (in the first and early 2nd) who then become cornerstones of their defense, and they have a lot of production and are consistently elite defenses on a yearly basis. Meanwhile, we plug in dudes who are 4th rounders, once in a while who pan out, but are also guys like Beaux Bell and Ben Taylor types, then wonder why our defense is truly awful. It's infuriating. 

I completely disagree with this. the Steelers,  NE, and Ravens defenses arent good because they are investing high draft capital into LBs. those defenses are great established units. you are also talking about 3 of the best run organizations. they dont get stuck drafting needs but draft BPA or players they want and trade up or down to get for the right price  

you mention the years of drafting Bell and Taylor types but those browns defenses werent bad because of those LBs. those defenses were bad for multiple factors. they were poorly constructed, they had very little talent all over the 2 deep, and had crap DCs. those teams you mentioned were the complete opposite of that. 

Taki would look absolutely horrible if he played on this team 5-8yrs ago but he actually looked like he was developing by the last half of the year with a decent DL infront of him. might look even better with both the front end and back end looking improved. 

browns are getting to the point that they are not looking for that corner stone DB or DE, we hit on those. were not looking for a corner stone QB or LT, looks like we have those, so now the browns can kinda draft like the Ravens or Steelers. draft a Lb that falls to them that is a gift or target that LB you think is special and trade up. if they choose for those things

Buno did you invent a time machine going back to September of 2020? Spoiler alert:

That year is absolutely awful. Go back to the 1990's and watch Michael Jordan play against the Phoenix Suns or something.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Buno did you invent a time machine going back to September of 2020? Spoiler alert:

That year is absolutely awful. Go back to the 1990's and watch Michael Jordan play against the Phoenix Suns or something.

that is so weird, I have no idea why it took me to that post. it just seemed current because of possibly of drsfting a LB in the first lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the point from their perspective is Chase is a game breaker that teams need to game plan for.  Teams don’t game plan for a tackle.

If he does end up being a Julio Jones, Hopkins, prime OBJ type player I think you could pretty easily argue that’s worth drafting over a tackle.

1 - Its not about the other team having to game plan for a left tackle as much as it is your team not having to game plan for a defensive end.  Having Sewell at LT means you don't have to plan a TE chipping or a RB covering to help on Myles Garrett.  You can let them go 1 on 1.  Will Garret get the best of him? from time to time sure, but your not constantly trying to figure out what to do to help.

2 - I understand the thought but you don't find a tackle with that kind of talent in later rounds almost ever.  Most stud left tackles do tend to be high first round picks.  You do find DK Metcalfs or Michael Thomas's in the second round for time to time.  Hopkins was late first.  It easier to get a great WR later, its hard to get that kind of sure thing at LT later.

3 - I don't even know if he ends up being that type of player if it would be worth it.  Maybe if he ended up being Hopkins and Sewell doesn't play to his potential? The clear and present priority, however, should be protecting Joe Burrow, and everything else can be decided / worried about later.  

Lets just say I'm glad I'm not in that position (a Benglas fan).  Back in 2007 I would take Joe Thomas over Calvin Johnson 100 times out of 100 and I'm guessing most people on this board would agree.  It sucks that we never were functional enough to win with him, but protecting the future franchise QB we never got with him should be the first priority.  Everyone wants to see the flashy WR, but how much has OBJ actually helped us? 

23 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

1 - Its not about the other team having to game plan for a left tackle as much as it is your team not having to game plan for a defensive end.  Having Sewell at LT means you don't have to plan a TE chipping or a RB covering to help on Myles Garrett.  You can let them go 1 on 1.  Will Garret get the best of him? from time to time sure, but your not constantly trying to figure out what to do to help.

2 - I understand the thought but you don't find a tackle with that kind of talent in later rounds almost ever.  Most stud left tackles do tend to be high first round picks.  You do find DK Metcalfs or Michael Thomas's in the second round for time to time.  Hopkins was late first.  It easier to get a great WR later, its hard to get that kind of sure thing at LT later.

3 - I don't even know if he ends up being that type of player if it would be worth it.  Maybe if he ended up being Hopkins and Sewell doesn't play to his potential? The clear and present priority, however, should be protecting Joe Burrow, and everything else can be decided / worried about later.  

Lets just say I'm glad I'm not in that position (a Benglas fan).  Back in 2007 I would take Joe Thomas over Calvin Johnson 100 times out of 100 and I'm guessing most people on this board would agree.  It sucks that we never were functional enough to win with him, but protecting the future franchise QB we never got with him should be the first priority.  Everyone wants to see the flashy WR, but how much has OBJ actually helped us? 

Oh I’m not saying I’d do it, but I get their rationale and it’s not nuts or anything.  Especially if they think Williams is a “franchise” LT.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:57 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Released earlier this week.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-profiles-pffs-top-300-draft-prospects

At least historically our views and PFF’s tend to align reasonably well.  This might give an idea as to how our FO may view various prospects.

Pete Werner over Baron Browning whooooof

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well I mean he’s a better player.

It's just funny. I've watched every game Pete Werner has ever played in and I can't remember a single time he has done anything other than make a good tackle in space here or there. He is like the ultimate JAG on the Buckeyes defense and I will never understand the hype with him. Solid at everything, elite at nothing.

Just seems to me he is destined to be a career special teams player who is going to be playing for 6+ NFL teams in his career before retiring before 30 years old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

It's just funny. I've watched every game Pete Werner has ever played in and I can't remember a single time he has done anything other than make a good tackle in space here or there. He is like the ultimate JAG on the Buckeyes defense and I will never understand the hype with him. Solid at everything, elite at nothing.

Elite at nothing...?

Dude, have you looked at all of his pass coverage metrics? I just posted them earlier in the week.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just seems to me he is destined to be a career special teams player who is going to be playing for 6+ NFL teams in his career before retiring before 30 years old.

This take is...wow.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh I’m not saying I’d do it, but I get their rationale and it’s not nuts or anything.  Especially if they think Williams is a “franchise” LT.

I hear you.

I just think people put too much stock in the play makers early in the draft because they are flashy.

The Chase move would sell tickets, the move would sell Jerseys, but I can't argue there move would help the team anywhere near as much and taking Sewell.

I'm just saying there is no argument that could make me pass on Sewell if I were the Bengals.  Williams played college at RT in college and was great at it.  I would let him do it again, Reiff can also shift inside for the 1 season hes signed, and you have bookends for the next decade.  Sewell would not only improve the LT, but also the RT and LG on that team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Elite at nothing...?

Dude, have you looked at all of his pass coverage metrics? I just posted them earlier in the week.

This take is...wow.

I don't care about metrics, I'm going strictly by eye test. Pete Werner has zero elite physical ability, especially compared to Browning.

In the 3rd-4th round where they are going to be drafted you try to identify elite traits to build off of. Werner has none. He is a combo Safety/OLB.

He's tough as nails and a good tackler I will give him that, but man.....Im just really really struggling to see anything special that is going to work for him long term against NFL talent 

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I don't care about metrics, I'm going strictly by eye test.

one could read this as “I don’t care about data, I care about opinions”

Pete Werner has zero elite physical ability, especially compared to Browning.

You’re right, he’s not the athlete.  But he’s plenty athletic.

In the 3rd-4th round where they are going to be drafted you try to identify elite traits to build off of. Werner has none. He is a combo Safety/OLB.

He's tough as nails and a good tackler I will give him that, but man.....Im just really really struggling to see anything special that is going to work for him long term against NFL talent 

I mean, I guess we’ll see, but his college tape is better than Browning’s and he’s checks every box athletically.