College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

Draft defensive line heavy and make that a strength. Kinda like what we have done with the offensive line. We ignore how bad the defensive line is outside of Myles. Larry hasn’t done much outside of the first 3 games. Sheldon Richardson doesn’t really do much. Vernon is injury prone and doesn’t do much either.

I’d sign a safety in free agency like a Anthony Harris or Justin Simmons. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Keep an eye on Patrick Johnson out of tulane

He’s another guy like Curtis Weaver. Crappy body, but excellent player. Not a great bendy athlete, nor is he good against the run. But he knows how to get pressures. Not sure it’ll translate to the NFL though. 

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Nate orchard? 

Not a bad comp. Orchard was slipperier as an edge. Patrick Johnson is a great hands fighter, but doesn’t dip and rip as good as Orchard. Johnson is less athletic, if that’s even possible. Orchard failed because he was too light in the pants to develop into a full-time DE and too limited in the power rush department. Patrick Johnson could develop into a base DE because of his more powerfully built frame. 

I think Pittsburgh’s pair of DE’s intrigue me the most. Patrick Jones (1st/2nd) and Rashard Weaver (4th-5th). Jones is the speed rusher whereas Weaver is the run defender/bull rusher. 

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

A name I’m keeping an eye on is Joseph Ossai of Texas. He’s fantastic at strip sacks.

He needs to get bigger though. This was his best game:

1:25

3:43

5:30

6:52

Then the closer at 7:18

I think he’s too small. He would be a hell of a linebacker convert methinks

2 hours ago, QBIso said:

I think he’s too small. He would be a hell of a linebacker convert methinks

As of right now he's too light, but he has the body type and game of an elite pass rusher. If you want a run-stopping LDE, I'd probably say he's not a good fit, but he looks like a perfect fit as a pass rusher. If he can put on 10-15 pounds--looks about 240--he would be great as a 4-3 DE.  He moves well and looks like he has long arms. He's listed as 6'4" and that looks accurate.

Edited by NudeTayne
$0.02

37 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

As of right now he's too light, but he has the body type and game of an elite pass rusher. If you want a run-stopping LDE, I'd probably say he's not a good fit, but he looks like a perfect fit as a pass rusher. If he can put on 10-15 pounds--looks about 240--he would be great as a 4-3 DE.  He moves well and looks like he has long arms. He's listed as 6'4" and that looks accurate.

I think we do need more of a base DE. That’s why I love the idea of the Miami guys (Rousseau & Phillips). They’re stout as hell and still get pressures. Their other rusher (Roche) is a finesse guy in the mold of an Ossai. I think we gotta punt on those dudes and go with someone that can play the run and pass. Garrett is not much of a run defender in terms of being gap sound. We can’t have two DEs that play pass on every down.