College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

That was Justin’s worst game of his career.

If I had to pick today:

1a. Marvin Wilson

1b. Pass rusher

2. WR

I am hearing such mixed reviews about Wilson, like he could be a third rounder (?). You still loving him? I haven't watched Florida State this year. Maybe I'll watch a few highlights just to get a link at Wilson and Tamorrion.

49 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I am hearing such mixed reviews about Wilson, like he could be a third rounder (?). You still loving him? I haven't watched Florida State this year. Maybe I'll watch a few highlights just to get a link at Wilson and Tamorrion.

I still think he’s Fletcher Cox. From the talent, athleticism, and all the way to leadership skills. He’s NOT Aaron Donald, but he will be the heart of a defense.

This has been a chaotic year for that program. He’s had 3 different HCs and 3 different schemes.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 6:50 PM, NudeTayne said:

Marvin Wilson would be the Dog we've needed inside since we had Shaun Rogers. He is a team captain, takes no disrespect from anyone, and is flat out a dude inside. My comp for him is Akiem Hicks. Regardless of injury, I still have him as DT1, and would make his presence known from down I IMO

On 11/22/2020 at 11:49 AM, candyman93 said:

Victor Dimukeje of Duke has been impressive this year too.

Also, Paddy Fisher of Northwestern is a prototype MIKE.

- I like Dimukeje but he seems a little light to me and doesn't play as physical as I like but has pretty good technique

- I flat out question his athleticism, he literally has everything but he looks really tight and stiff as an athlete. If he had it, I would look at him as a Leighton Vander Esch type of LB

On 11/20/2020 at 6:35 AM, QBIso said:

I think Phillips is a surprise late 1st. He is the most underrated prospect in this class as of right now IMO. I keep seeing him mocked in the 2nd/3rd. There’s no way he lasts that long. He has had elite production and was a 5* coming out of HS. A little bit of a 1-year wonder, but that doesn’t concern me with any prospect tbh. I can’t think of many 1-year wonder prospects who terrorized college football and then fell off. 

I also pike Kwity Paye, Aidan Hutchinson, Chris Rumph, Rashard Weaver, Micheal Clemons, and Shaka Toney as later round DE’s.  Some of those guys are base ends whereas some of them are situational speed rushers (Rumph/Toney). 

- Phillips is rising, but I don't think he will rise that far, I ideally want him as a second end do be our version of the Eagles Josh Sweat (A high level developmental guy who has potential to be a starter)

- I like Hutchinson, but I want to see what his explosion numbers are, because we already have a similar guy Gustin, we need some guys with juice

- I absolutely love Rumph, he would be a steal, he is light in the pants for a base end but he gets off the ball, has excellent technique and is just a natural pass rusher, he reminds me of a lighter Tamba Hali with his tremendous technique 

On a seperate note:

Cincinnati has some STUD DBs, I hope our scouts have their eyes on those guys

Edited by MSURacerDT55

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Marvin Wilson would be the Dog we've needed inside since we had Shaun Rogers. He is a team captain, takes no disrespect from anyone, and is flat out a dude inside. My comp for him is Akiem Hicks. Regardless of injury, I still have him as DT1, and would make his presence known from down

Hmm 🤔. I don't see it at all. He looks like an undersized NT to me. I don't see the alleged strength doing much functionally--lots of plays made because the QB is holding the ball forever. He looks lean and still slow 🤷‍♂️. I don't want him in the first but maybe later if he's still around.

Edit: I do like that he's a team leader, though I still can't see him as a first rounder for us with all the available edge rushers and cornerbacks who should be there at our spot.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Hmm 🤔. I don't see it at all. He looks like an undersized NT to me. I don't see the alleged strength doing much functionally--lots of plays made because the QB is holding the ball forever. He looks lean and still slow 🤷‍♂️. I don't want him in the first but maybe later if he's still around.

Edit: I do like that he's a team leader, though I still can't see him as a first rounder for us with all the available edge rushers and cornerbacks who should be there at our spot.

6'5 320? undersized? Ok......

Thats bigger than any DT we have on our roster you know?

Edited by MSURacerDT55

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- I flat out question his athleticism, he literally has everything but he looks really tight and stiff as an athlete. If he had it, I would look at him as a Leighton Vander Esch type of LB

This is how I feel.

If he looks even just okay athletically he’s going to be a beast LB in the NFL.

32 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

6'5 320? undersized? Ok......

Thats bigger than any DT we have on our roster you know?

Undersized NT. I mean, he looks slow but not so big and powerful that he demands a double-team. I don't see a relentless motor. He looks like he's playing at 310, which I would hope to see more explosion out of, but I don't see it.

Edit: That said, if he adds ten pounds of pure muscle, I'm willing to take another look at a high pick. I like the player but not as a first rounder as is.

Edited by NudeTayne

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

He looks like an undersized NT to me

Is it the #21 jersey?

He isn't very stout at the point of attack when double teamed and he has struggled a lot this year, but he's still a good player. Shaun Rogers good? No. But I think he could start for us inside. He's going to be a solid starter. Nothing more, nothing less.

21 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Is it the #21 jersey?

He isn't very stout at the point of attack when double teamed and he has struggled a lot this year, but he's still a good player. Shaun Rogers good? No. But I think he could start for us inside. He's going to be a solid starter. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yup. The fact that his jersey number is somewhat unclear in a highlight reel says a bit. And a solid starter is what I see as well. I don't see anything close to a first round at this point.

If you want speed / quickness from a pass rusher, Myjai Sanders is your guy.

Positives: Sanders has outstanding length for an edge rusher. Long and lean, he has outstanding short-area quickness with an explosive first step. A true speed rusher who shows nuance to his rush. Very good use of hands and can tie his rush moves together seamlessly. Able to attack the outside shoulder with his first step, then quickly counter inside with speed. Rare suddenness for a defensive end. Outstanding effort. Never gives up on a play and will chase the ball 20 yards down the field if need be. Uses his length to his advantage in the run game. Able to keep his pads clean with his lockout and displays violent hands to disengage and make the tackle. 

Negatives: Narrow frame and skinny lower half causes issues at the point of attack. Will get walled off and covered up at times and will often lose the leverage battle. Bigger and stronger offensive tackles can have their way with him in the run game if they get their hands on him early. Offers little as a bull rusher and wins with more length than out right power. While he has an outstanding first step, his ability to anticipate the snap leaves a lot to be desired. Will often be late getting set and the ball will be snapped with him still not in his stance. Don’t see a bunch of versatility to his game. I believe he can only play as a 4-3 weakside end.