College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

With us being so heavily reliant on the run game, I hope Berry scouts for another RB. A mid round guy I like is Javian Hawkins of Louisville.

This is actually shaking out to be a great year to grab a mid-round RB. Hawkins would be a great pick. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

This is actually shaking out to be a great year to grab a mid-round RB. Hawkins would be a great pick. 

You’re absolutely right.

It just depends entirely on what kind of team Berry and Depo want. Some franchises try to draft a bunch of mid round WRs every year. I’d like either a speed guy (4.3 type) or somebody like Nick and Kareem that can break tackles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

You’re absolutely right.

It just depends entirely on what kind of team Berry and Depo want. Some franchises try to draft a bunch of mid round WRs every year. I’d like either a speed guy (4.3 type) or somebody like Nick and Kareem that can break tackles.

I guess it comes down to what they think of D'Ernest Johnson going forward. I personally like him and hope we keep him. I'd like to carry four RB's since our system runs a lot. 

If we don't go with a pure speed guy, I like both the Ohio State backs, Najee if for some reason teams are dumb and he makes it to the third round, Zamir White(!) and Kylin Hill, CJ Verdell and Spencer Brown, just off the top of my head. There are a lot of other quality backs, from what I can tell. I've been running some walkthemocks and love the value of who is there in the fourth round, maybe even fifth.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

I want them to extend Chubb and not think about RB this year before the 6th.   

push it off til the next year if they can’t keep hunt as the second head of the monster

i want our identity to continue on this path of rushing, and I think they could easily pay them both as they wouldn’t need an OBJ level contract at WR

we won’t find anyone in the draft better than Chubb, so why weaken our massive strength that appears to be the basis of the offense.

keep both happy with their touches, let them be the focal point of the offense, and hopefully both will stay happy in that role

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I want them to extend Chubb and not think about RB this year before the 6th.   

push it off til the next year if they can’t keep hunt as the second head of the monster

i want our identity to continue on this path of rushing, and I think they could easily pay them both as they wouldn’t need an OBJ level contract at WR

we won’t find anyone in the draft better than Chubb, so why weaken our massive strength that appears to be the basis of the offense.

keep both happy with their touches, let them be the focal point of the offense, and hopefully both will stay happy in that role

We need to improve our return game drastically, I'd love a scat back in the draft that can be a pr/or. 

If it comes to keep ing chubb or Landry or obj, we have to keep chubb, he is an amazing running back, imo the best since prime AP

Edited by Kiwibrown

Kiwi touched on it.

I want to keep Nick, but I want a 3rd RB. We saw how much the run game suffered when Nick was out. That can’t happen again.

We don’t need a monster as our 3rd RB, but we need a guy that doesn’t cause a massive drop off in production.

We’re not quite the Mike Shannahan Broncos system of just plug and play yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We’re not quite the Mike Shannahan Broncos system of just plug and play yet.

Someone like johnson can get 95 vs the cowboys on limited touches, but, special players still make a difference, especially vs good teams. The Broncos running game was never the same after they traded Portis.

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Someone like johnson can get 95 vs the cowboys on limited touches, but, special players still make a difference, especially vs good teams. The Broncos running game was never the same after they traded Portis.

Well With Portis they had a top5 and top2 rushing attack. Following seasons they had a top4, top2, and I believe 2 more top10 rushing attacks and then they moved on from Shanny. Seems like the running game was never the same after they fired Shanny

I don't watch a lot of MACtion, but is Dustin Crum really just a 6th-7th round prospect? Everywhere I look he's either not even ranked or is ranked as a 6th-7th rounder or UDFA. Everything I've seen of him he looks pretty impressive. The ball FLIES out of his hand and he's got decent athleticism.

3 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

I don't watch a lot of MACtion, but is Dustin Crum really just a 6th-7th round prospect? Everywhere I look he's either not even ranked or is ranked as a 6th-7th rounder or UDFA. Everything I've seen of him he looks pretty impressive. The ball FLIES out of his hand and he's got decent athleticism.

Just a thought but what is the point of even wasting a draft pick on a late round QB? Tom Brady is the only QB in the last like 20 years to be drafted after the 3rd or 4th round to amount to anything so in theory, why waste a pick when you can just get your backup QB as a UDFA?

The numbers say its practically useless to spend a draft pick on a QB outside of round 1-2

Edited by AkronsWitness

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just a thought but what is the point of even wasting a draft pick on a late round QB? Tom Brady is the only QB in the last like 20 years to be drafted after the 3rd or 4th round to amount to anything so in theory, why waste a pick when you can just get your backup QB as a UDFA?

The numbers say its practically useless to spend a draft pick on a QB outside of round 1-2

I think there's a certain mold of QB that can be found a little later on as evidenced by Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott, though that doesn't really refute your point.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, QBIso said:

Is it the #21 jersey?

He isn't very stout at the point of attack when double teamed and he has struggled a lot this year, but he's still a good player. Shaun Rogers good? No. But I think he could start for us inside. He's going to be a solid starter. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you are selling him a bit short but then again, you are entitled to your opinion. I think he has been dealing with an injury all year and didnt play up to his level last year,  and I wouldn't quite pronounce his upside of you haven't seen him 100%, also if you are playing with an ankle or a knee, of course you won't be as strong (but if you watched him last year, he was)  And with Myles he wont see nearly as many double teams, now with the recent injury, I would be stoked getting him in the 2nd

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think you are selling him a bit short but then again, you are entitled to your opinion. I think he has been dealing with an injury all year and didnt play up to his level last year,  and I wouldn't quite pronounce his upside of you haven't seen him 100%, also if you are playing with an ankle or a knee, of course you won't be as strong (but if you watched him last year, he was)  And with Myles he wont see nearly as many double teams, now with the recent injury, I would be stoked getting him in the 2nd

Yeah I just saw a bad Miami OL make him completely irrelevant this year. I forgot they even had a good DT because they just throttled them up front. 

55 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Yeah I just saw a bad Miami OL make him completely irrelevant this year. I forgot they even had a good DT because they just throttled them up front. 

So you're basing your whole assessment on one game? All I need to know....

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

While I don't necessarily disagree, my question was more, "Is Crum really just a 6th round prospect?" He had himself a season last year, and it looks like he's picking up right where he left off this year. He's got a cannon for an arm and is mobile. How is he not getting more love? Is it just because he plays in the MAC?

• Like 1