College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I mean we have drafted a replacement for tretter on nick harris.

shenanigans_farva.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

🙄

Nick Harris was a late rounder.  But yeah, I have high hopes for him and believe he could be our future center, depending on timeline of Tretter with health & regression blah blah blah.  I'm not sure if Harris could develop into a starting guard, but we'll see.

54 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

🙄

Nick Harris was a late rounder.  But yeah, I have high hopes for him and believe he could be our future center, depending on timeline of Tretter with health & regression blah blah blah.  I'm not sure if Harris could develop into a starting guard, but we'll see.

I think Harris really needs to work on transforming his body. 

IMO Harris did nothing that makes me think he is our future. He played well in that game he came in for injury but the following week, he looked absolutely awful. He was getting own by 3T. Dont know how well he will do when he has to block some stud NTs.

If we are expecting him to be a starting guard, we are going to be waiting. We still have Joel signed until '22. Even by then he will be 31 and might get extended. Hell I could see Joel reworking his contract soon either way since he has no more Guaranteed money on his deal.

Joel and Wyatt at the least should be our starting guards for next 2 years and I would like to see it be the next 5.Joel wasnt amazing to start the year but his last 6-7 games he was damn good IMO

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:
3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

In our case, our strengths are already very strong, though. There is no need to draft a replacement starter anywhere on the offensive line--Bitonio and Tretter are the oldest and have been healthy and effective overall--and our QB/RB/TE is set.

Meanwhile, LE...CB2(/CB3?)...DT...LB...LB...S3 due to injury...no man's land.

I mean we have drafted a replacement for tretter on nick harris

I think we should look at lineman as well. We need depth but the current depth,we are not really  sure about. so if they do draft a lineman, it should be a sign

20 hours ago, buno67 said:

maybe you cant rely on him to be a #1 DB because of injuries and thats its really but at that case, you can easily, rely on him to be the #2/#3 DB without a doubt...No way in hell we should move on him

Just saying that we are not anywhere near set at CB.

I would tender him but acquire some one to replace him as our #1 CB.

17 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Just saying that we are not anywhere near set at CB.

I would tender him but acquire some one to replace him as our #1 CB.

Idk. I’m not going to move on from him from that just yet. Maybe if he was injuried and played ok but he had played like one of the best corners in the game since he had been drafted. The dude is a stud just need to hope he can stay healthy. Don’t really need to replace him But at least get depth where you can live/survive without him. He only missed two games for injuries this year I believe. The rest were Covid. Not gonna hold that against him

I really liked an interview I heard with somebody years ago who compared your CB/S group to a basketball team. You have to be able to cover every different look you'll get. But that doesn't mean EVERY guy needs to be good in EVERY situation. That's gotta be our goal in the offseason. Ward is your "do everything" guy, but especially good at covering speed. So with his injury history, you try to find a second CB who can cover burner level speed. Then you look for a couple "big body" cover guys (This might be where Mitchell is best IMO, if I remember right Claypool's big grabs were mostly against Jackson/Stewart, maybe I'm remembering wrong). Same thing with the safeties, get guys to cover the pass (Delpit, ???) and guys to blast vs. the run (Harrison, ???). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

In our case, our strengths are already very strong, though. There is no need to draft a replacement starter anywhere on the offensive line--Bitonio and Tretter are the oldest and have been healthy and effective overall--and our QB/RB/TE is set.

Meanwhile, LE...CB2(/CB3?)...DT...LB...LB...S3 due to injury...no man's land.

I agree on offense a lot.

Here’s just my view on the defense. I view these guys as 100% starting material or at least deserve time because they have *some* promise long term:

DE: Myles

DT: ???
DT: ??? (Sheldon is a starter, but old)

DE: ??? (Same deal with Vernon)

LB: ???
LB: ???

LB: Sione (I like his promise as a run defender, this is my “generous” pick)

CB: Denzel

SS: Ronnie

FS: Grant

CB: ???

This is our current defensive depth chart after budget cuts (Richardson), IMO. Bold is for sure, Italics is injury dependent. 

DE: Myles/Curtis Weaver
Pass Rush DT: Jordan Elliot/???
Run Stuff DT: ???/Andrew Billings
DE: ???/Clayborn/Joe Jackson

LB: Jacob Phillips/???
LB: ???/???
LB: ???/Takitaki

Speed CB: Ward/M.J. Stewart/???
SS: Harrison/???
FS: Delpit/Redwine/
Big CB: ???/Greedy/AJ Green
Slot CB: ???/???

Who am I missing? Cause looking at this, we need two starting CBs (if you include slot), two starting LBs, a starting DT, and a starting DE. Plus depth guys at CB, SS, LB, and DT.

I would absolutely rather have it this way than be trying to do the same thing on offense. Continuity is king on offense. Defense you can rebuild in an off-season. But this is still a huge challenge for sure. Thank goodness for the UDFA/waiver wire/trade steals of Harrison, Weaver, and AJ Green. Cheap depth and a starting S for a 5th round pick and paying attention to the waiver wire. Without them this looks even nastier.

• Like 2

Draft I thought of without factoring in a offseason:

1. Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama

2. Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama

3. Dayo Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt 

3. Monty Rice, ILB, Georgia

4. Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina

4. Jabril Cox, LB, LSU

5. Jacoby Stevens, S / LB, LSU

6. Charles Snowden, DE, Virginia

7. Landon Young, OG, Kentucky

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Draft I thought of without factoring in a offseason:

1. Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama

2. Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama

3. Dayo Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt 

3. Monty Rice, ILB, Georgia

4. Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina

4. Jabril Cox, LB, LSU

5. Jacoby Stevens, S / LB, LSU

6. Charles Snowden, DE, Virginia

7. Landon Young, OG, Kentucky

Is this your SEC mock?

Edited by buno67
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Shaun Wade is growing on me the more I watch of his 2019 stuff.

He can be a beast and it would eliminate the need to have 3 LBs.

If he's there R3 or later, I'd absolutely look at him as a slot CB/push FS. He's a great tackler, he's physical, he's got good lateral agility and ball skills...he lacks speed and hip fluidity at points on the outside in and out of breaks. He reminds me a lot of Malcolm Jenkins.

• Like 3