College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

17 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I could watch plays like 3:08 all day. That’s Tyreek Hill speed.

Reminds me of 2006 Ted Ginn

On 1/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, bruceb said:

fify

I really have a hard time relying on Ward as an answer at CB when he cannot even get/stay on the field.

100% fact, we need a guy who would be our #2 per se, but really can be a #1 in a pinch and we not freak out when he does. I absolutely love Ward, but he is not someone you can count on game in and game out (at least this point in his career)

On 1/18/2021 at 11:55 PM, FGK said:

Absolutely not on Wade 1st/2nd round. If he played for a non-OSU school and had the year he just had we wouldn't want to draft him PERIOD. Let alone in the first two rounds. The guy was victimized by practically every good team or receiver he went up against. Exposed to a terrifying degree. 

But you have to look beneath the surface, if you pay attention to what OSU had going on, he (and every DB we had) was a stud in 2019, none of our DBs played well. I personally would do my due diligence with Wade, this could be a classic situation where guys get reactionary with him and one team does the extra work and cash in on an all pro player.

Heck, look at two years ago when OSU had Bill Davis at LB coach and how bad our LBs looked, then OSU's linebackers all of the sudden looked all world all the way down to Justin Hilliard. There is a clear disconnect with Coombs and the DB room. I just would look deeper 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Shaun Wade is growing on me the more I watch of his 2019 stuff.

He can be a beast and it would eliminate the need to have 3 LBs.

I've watched him in 4 games this season......and he seems like a 3rd day pick at best...his only saving grace is he can play S and Slot CB, from what I saw he is a liability outside, he lacks technique and has ZERO instincts from what I saw of him. Solid tackler and makes a few splash plays a game....he reminds me of MJ Stewart...makes a couple splash plays a game (Tackle for loss and a pick) and then gets burned for 2 TD's...cant have that.

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I've watched him in 4 games this season......and he seems like a 3rd day pick at best...his only saving grace is he can play S and Slot CB, from what I saw he is a liability outside, he lacks technique and has ZERO instincts from what I saw of him. Solid tackler and makes a few splash plays a game....he reminds me of MJ Stewart...makes a couple splash plays a game (Tackle for loss and a pick) and then gets burned for 2 TD's...cant have that.

If you want to judge a guy based on 1 year where he’s out of position, we should have never drafted Grant Delpit either.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If you want to judge a guy based on 1 year where he’s out of position, we should have never drafted Grant Delpit either.

Out of position? Delpit never changed positions. He was hurt the last year.

And besides, we shouldn't have. Every Browns fan knows in our hearts that that pick ALWAYS should have been Antoine Winfield.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

There is a clear disconnect with Coombs and the DB room. I just would look deeper 

I don’t think it’s that. Literally years ago, Coombs was cranking out 1st rd DB after 1st rd DB. I think it might be more so installing new schemes during a weird time. It took the browns 7 games to find their footing in their offense and Ohio State only had 7 games overall. Also think this was one of the weaker years for DBs at tOSU. They had plenty of better safeties and too many inexperienced Corners. So they moved their best defensive back to the #1 DB. Also not a great recipe when they also had a down year rushing the passer. Now maybe if there is a major issue still with the DBs and defense for another season or two then I’ll start fully blaming Coombs but it’s hard to automatically blame him when he already had a pretty good track record. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

well the assessment of lack of  techique and zero instincts is dead on. It was the first time he had to play as an outside corner in his career (HS & College). Browns or any team wouldnt be drafting him to play outside corner. You be drafting him to be that S/WLB hybrid. Watch any of his '19 highlights, thats why you draft him.

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Reminds me of 2006 Ted Ginn

100% fact, we need a guy who would be our #2 per se, but really can be a #1 in a pinch and we not freak out when he does. I absolutely love Ward, but he is not someone you can count on game in and game out (at least this point in his career)

But you have to look beneath the surface, if you pay attention to what OSU had going on, he (and every DB we had) was a stud in 2019, none of our DBs played well. I personally would do my due diligence with Wade, this could be a classic situation where guys get reactionary with him and one team does the extra work and cash in on an all pro player.

Heck, look at two years ago when OSU had Bill Davis at LB coach and how bad our LBs looked, then OSU's linebackers all of the sudden looked all world all the way down to Justin Hilliard. There is a clear disconnect with Coombs and the DB room. I just would look deeper 

30percent completion when playing 1on1 what more due you want

He is the best cornerback sense Hanford and minniefield

if he came out this year he would be the first cornerback taken

oh the whole draft stinks because there is no number 1 cb,

deeper reasoning name 33 cornerbacks better than ward

18 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Respectfully disagree......Both went to 2 of the top 3 DB producing Schools of NFL DB's (LSU, OSU and Univ. of S.C.) Delpit started as a Freshman......Wade did not.....from watching both for multiple years, Delpit has been a beast since he took over for Jamal Adams IMO. Grant Delpit had more Sacks, Tackls for loss and Ints (Splash plays) in his Soph year than Wade was able to produce in 3 years of playing (and 17 less tackles Soph yr vs 3 years starting).....The Stats, seem to confirm what my eyes have seen....

Oh and if we want to talk about playing out of position....Grant Delpit did it his last year at LSU AND won the Thorpe award as the Nations top DB....WHILE playing out of position.....

https://www.goerie.com/sports/20200104/delpit-caps-unusual-season-for-lsu-with-trip-to-title-game

I'm Just Saying......