College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Another mock that has us taking Owusu...woohoo! 😍

He fits what we want in our LBs.

As I’ve said, really like Micah Parsons. I think he will be the best LB in football if Miami drafts him. However, I question if he’d work out with us.

Owusu would shine for us.

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Owusu is so small man 

I know we play in a new NFL

but in the AFC north that’s small like really small 

I don’t know if I could spend a first round pick on a 215 linebacker who’s a senior. 

has there ever been a successful linebacker that small? 

Jack Ham was listed as only 10 lbs. heavier, and Owusu will grow into/add that.

22 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Owusu is so small man 

I don’t know if I could spend a first round pick on a 215 linebacker who’s a senior. 

Ray Lewis first year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Owusu is so small man 

I believe Darius Leonard played at 215 this year or last and he has been great so far. I view Owusu as that LB/Safety hybrid that would work well as a 3 down player. We can essentially run a 4-2-5 and depending on the down have Owusu considered the 3rd safety with more box responsibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Owusu is so small man 

Why do we need a big thumper? Cincy is turning into a passing first offense. Steelers cant run the ball and the Ravens have Lamar. 

who cares that he is a senior. Didnt play as a freshman and broke his foot his sophomore season, where he missed the rest of the season. Spent the next 2years as a stud starter for them. He turns 22 next Nov. Its not like he was a 5th/6th yr senior and is 23 going on 24.

He might be smaller this past season but I would bet he bulks up. 

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Who is the massive RB we need to worry about? Joe Mixon?

I’m moreso thinking Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown bull dozing him like he’s a safety. 

He’s explosive and I love how he takes his angles 

Darius Leonard at the senior bowl came in at 6’2 229 

14 pounds can make a difference long term 17 games. 

it’s just slight to me man 215 

shoot Richard Sherman probably weights 215 

If we’re drafting him to be a nickel linebacker then maybe. But we are we drafting a nickel linebacker round one 

22 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m moreso thinking Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown bull dozing him like he’s a safety. 

If we’re drafting him to be a nickel linebacker then maybe. But we are we drafting a nickel linebacker round one 

In the modern NFL, your nickel linebacker will be on the field just as much as your "run stuffer" LB, probably more.

As many have noted, if you're drafting him to play middle backer, you're setting him up to fail. You have to draft him to be a WLB/SS hybrid who will be the 7th guy in the box on run downs but able to slide out and cover TEs and RBs in the flats on pass downs.

Plus, if Stanley and Brown get onto ANY LB it's game over. I don't care if you're 240 vs. 220. If you get hit by Orlando Brown with momentum behind him, you're toast.

Like, I'm not even a huge fan of a LB pick in the 1st. I'd prefer Paye at edge, Barimore at iDL, one of the late 1st CBs, etc. But the reasoning behind a LB pick has nothing to do with big, run stuffing LBs. 

It comes down to: What does he add to the D?

If used correctly (i.e., not 30 yards off the LOS like Greggg used Peppers), he can be to the D what the honey badger is to the KC D but at all levels.

He could be the type of playmaker in the middle and back of the D that we have not had since Don Rogers, may he rest in peace.

Edited by bruceb
Complete thought