Jump to content
candyman93

College Football and Draft Discussion 2020

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would rather just keep a heathy Dak and trade Baker to the Cowboys because apparently Jerry Jones loves him.

I rest my case @mjmstudio. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I rest my case @mjmstudio. 

mean Dak is a top 5-10 QB in the NFL and as solid as Baker has looked this year, Dak would be a upgrade over him if he is heathly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

mean Dak is a top 5-10 QB in the NFL and as solid as Baker has looked this year, Dak would be a upgrade over him if he is heathly

1) Is he though?  Regardless you’ll have to take this up with myke. He and I want a pick for signing Zak. 
2) we’re trying to get better here. We’re signing guys and upgrading with picks. 
3)

Edited by Bonanza23
missedspelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No controversy sign him put him on the ir.

WE get a top 15 qb for money.

Tampa is going to be in the market for a qb they would have to trade at least Goff level package.

We would win the division if dak turns out healthy  for 10 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 11 more games to see how Baker performs. If 1st Half Baker from last week shows up with regularity going forward in 2020, then you pick up his 5th year option and roll with him for sure in 2021, with excitement that he could be a perennial Pro Bowl franchise QB.

If 2nd Half Baker rears his ugly head with regularity, then you potentially look at other options.

To this point, I've seen a LOT of improvement from 2019. There are still a few issues such as pocket navigation/throwing off platform and the ball sailing, and some of the turnover tendencies that we have seen, but I'm seeing less double clutching, less uncertainty presnap, and more accuracy downfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

mean Dak is a top 5-10 QB in the NFL and as solid as Baker has looked this year, Dak would be a upgrade over him if he is heathly

Sorry Baker is good enough to win the super bowl.

point 2 baker is on his rookie deal for 3 more years so ou could get a Goff level package plus have Mayfield amd Myles on rookie deals for 2 more years.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mtmmike said:

No controversy sign him put him on the ir.

WE get a top 15 qb for money.

Tampa is going to be in the market for a qb they would have to trade at least Goff level package.

We would win the division if dak turns out healthy  for 10 years.

@Bonanza23

Edited by NudeTayne
Why can't you just get this!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BringTheHouse said:

Paris Ford is my guy for us in R1. He is a SS in the mold of a TJ Ward. Ward with looser hips. 

Welcome to the board. 

 

I'd never safety in round 1. Unless they are someone like Ed Reed. 

I want an edge rusher in round 1.

 

2nd is for safety's and running backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Welcome to the board. 

Thanks! Totes never posted here before.

34 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd never safety in round 1. Unless they are someone like Ed Reed. 

I want an edge rusher in round 1.

I agree usually, but I don't think we'll get a stud edge rusher in the 1st. I think we'd be looking at Kwity Paye, Quincy Roche, or Aidan Hutchinson with pick #32. None of those guys really tickle my fancy the way Paris Ford does.

 

My tentative mock draft as of now is:

1st: Paris Ford/SS/Pittsburgh
-Elite run defender with all the physical traits to play in man and zone. Comparison: TJ Ward

2nd: Jaelan Phillips/DE/Miami Fl.
-Very good run defender that plays with violence and pop in his hands. Not very bendy, but would complement Garrett perfectly. Comparison: Aaron Kampman

3rd: Ventrell Miller/WLB/Florida
-Range is unbelievable. Runs like a corner. Covers like a corner. Doesn't have true LB instincts to play in the box and lacks size. Comparison: Thomas Howard

3rd: Patrick Johnson/DE/Tulane
-Fantastic pass rusher. Good player, bad body. Doesn't have many physical gifts, but finds a way to pester QB's consistently. Comparison: Mario Addison

4th: Chris Rumph/SLB/Duke
-Can rush the passer at a high level, but is too undersized to do it full-time. Will convert to linebacker. Comparison: Poor Man's Anthony Barr

4th: Josh Jobe/CB/Alabama
-Great size and ball skills. Not very twitchy and will be relegated to outside CB. Could be the #2. Comparison: Josh Norman

5th:
Paddy Fisher/MLB/Northwestern
-Stud tackler and tackle-box reader. Makes big plays. Lacks range. Comparison: Paul Posluszny

6th:
Sean Davis/FS/Florida
-Unique speed and agility at the safety position. Closing speed is special. Lacks great instincts in coverage. Comparison: Jalen Thompson

7th: Kenny Pickett/QB/Pittsburgh
-Bootleg QB that excels throwing outside of the pocket. Comparison: Case Keenum

 

 

FA: Jayon Brown/OLB/Tennessee Titans

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We have 11 more games to see how Baker performs. If 1st Half Baker from last week shows up with regularity going forward in 2020, then you pick up his 5th year option and roll with him for sure in 2021, with excitement that he could be a perennial Pro Bowl franchise QB.

If 2nd Half Baker rears his ugly head with regularity, then you potentially look at other options.

To this point, I've seen a LOT of improvement from 2019. There are still a few issues such as pocket navigation/throwing off platform and the ball sailing, and some of the turnover tendencies that we have seen, but I'm seeing less double clutching, less uncertainty presnap, and more accuracy downfield.

Its not 11 more games. Its at least 27, maybe less cause of injuries. I think he deserves at least 2 years with Kevski

Hell, why not have the Browns decline his 5th yr option to keep the flexibility. If it works, you just franchise tag him. 5th yr option is prolly in the ball park of $25m for a QB and the franchise tag is $27.5. If baker plays well the rest of this year and next year, does it matter if he is on the 5th yr option or the franchise tag, both are going to lead to a nice contract extension. something like that would never happen tho. I would be perfectly fine in picking his 5th yr option and seeing how things go. People talk about this window, will the window stays open cause the Browns are going with another rookie QB and their not stuck in paying a QB or We have baker proving himself that he is worth it to be the franchise QB and the Browns roll with their franchise HC and franchise QB. Something we havent had since Shotty and Bernie

Like you said, we have seen a lot of improvement. Baker formed a lot of bad habits because of freddie and from his ego. All those things were not going to be corrected in a single covid offseason. I would love to see more and what they could do with a year under their belt. Have an offseason where they can hit the ground running, and not seeing the offense starting over from scratch again cause their is a new coaching staff and scheme. I would love to see the Browns run it back next year with their offense. They should return every starter,  who the hell knows the last time that happened for the Browns. With all that returning, I would love to see them invest a lot of capital into correcting the defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buno67 said:

Its not 11 more games. Its at least 27, maybe less cause of injuries. I think he deserves at least 2 years with Kevski

As long as he continues to show the last 11 games what he has in the first 5, I wholeheartedly agree! I have a lot of reason to believe that he will, because our schedule and personnel are very friendly to him, as well as the scheme fit.

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

Hell, why not have the Browns decline his 5th yr option to keep the flexibility. If it works, you just franchise tag him. 5th yr option is prolly in the ball park of $25m for a QB and the franchise tag is $27.5. If baker plays well the rest of this year and next year, does it matter if he is on the 5th yr option or the franchise tag, both are going to lead to a nice contract extension. something like that would never happen tho. I would be perfectly fine in picking his 5th yr option and seeing how things go. People talk about this window, will the window stays open cause the Browns are going with another rookie QB and their not stuck in paying a QB or We have baker proving himself that he is worth it to be the franchise QB and the Browns roll with their franchise HC and franchise QB. Something we havent had since Shotty and Bernie

I understand your logic here (albeit I don't agree with it) from a dollars and cents perspective, but I think picking up his 5th year option gives him what most human beings desire most: Confidence and security. You basically get that "prove it" year in Year 4, and let's be honest, you either are going to sign him long term after Year 4 or cut bait after Year 5 anyway in all likelihood. Barring a complete meltdown that somehow nets us an unbelievably high level QB prospect (with our roster composition and staff as it looks to this point, almost impossible to imagine), you stick with Baker because you aren't finding anyone better unless you sign a veteran FA QB.

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

Like you said, we have seen a lot of improvement. Baker formed a lot of bad habits because of freddie and from his ego. All those things were not going to be corrected in a single covid offseason. I would love to see more and what they could do with a year under their belt. Have an offseason where they can hit the ground running, and not seeing the offense starting over from scratch again cause their is a new coaching staff and scheme. I would love to see the Browns run it back next year with their offense. They should return every starter,  who the hell knows the last time that happened for the Browns. With all that returning, I would love to see them invest a lot of capital into correcting the defense

Freddie set him back a full year, if not longer. I've been as hard on Baker as almost anyone, but the progression that he's shown this year is truly encouraging and exciting! He still turns it over too much and sails too many passes high, but he's throwing in rhythm, knows where he's going with the football presnap, isn't double clutching nearly as much, and he's staying in the pocket more and more. He still has to iron out some things like stepping up in the pocket/navigating inside of it as opposed to escaping outside of it and telegraphing his passes/not reading LB/S, but if he's able to do this down the stretch this year, I'm super excited!

He's on pace for a 2:1 TD to INT ratio (30 TD, 14 or 15 picks), and hopefully the more he shows that he can do it, the more Stef will open it up for him, expand the playbook, and the more we will see Baker look like he did the first half last week.

The stats in the 2nd half this year for him have been alarming, but I also believe a lot of that is going into hyper conservative mode to win some games, which will frustrating, has absolutely worked in this team's favor in the W/L column, which is the only stat that really matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...