College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, Reginaldm9 said:

If I'm only going for your options, I love Zaven Collins, but think we have way bigger holes at DE (as an every down kinda guy) and CB (on the outside) that need to be filled in rounds 1 and 2. 

I also like Pete Werner in Round 3 because of his coverage skills. 

Don't know where you have Jabril Cox or Chazz Surratt going but I like them a lot in Round 3 too. Really I think any pick spent before round 3 on a LB only happens because our initial targets are gone. 

I forgot Cox and Surratt. I love both of the Surratt bros. 

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Especially for our scheme and what we do to answer your question. He's going to be a very good SAM LB for a while in this league. His pass coverage analytics are through the roof. 

But we don’t play with a SAM. That’s the only reason I don’t want Zaven or Werner that much. I do think Werner could play some WILL too, but he’s at his best playing to the strong side of formations. 

42 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

But we don’t play with a SAM. That’s the only reason I don’t want Zaven or Werner that much. I do think Werner could play some WILL too, but he’s at his best playing to the strong side of formations. 

Sam or Star. He can do either. He’s  going to be fine as a Will, but he’s going to be ideal as one of the others.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

Pick a linebacker:

JOK in round 1.

Zaven Collins in round 1.

Jamin Davis in round 1.

Dylan Moses in round 2.

Cam McGrone in round 3.

Baron Browning in round 3.

Pete Werner in round 3.

Ventell Miller in round 4.

Garrett Wallow in round 5.

Paddy Fisher in round 6.

Errol Thompson in round 7. 

or other....

When you put it like that, only JOK but as a Joker. I do like Buddy Johnson in 6 or 7 though.

Edge, WR, CB and Safety is how I see the first two days going. 

Wallow maybe for coverage skills and special teams, but you could find a guy like that in UDFA most likely. 

Who you like after the draft?

Edited by ditchdigger

On 4/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Being able to sling it is all well and good, but there’s more to it than that imo.

I think people get infatuated with physical gifts this time of year and if we’re being honest most QB’s don’t fail because they don’t have enough arm, or height, or speed.

I think to be a top pick a QB I’d want to see as much of the following as possible;

- early breakout age.  I know there are exceptions, but most really good QB’s are sitting behind someone until their 3rd or 4th year. With this should be some level of success early.  You don’t have to be setting the world on fire, but you can’t be putting up awful numbers and starting just because you’re the best option at a bad school.

- experience.  Ideally 3 years, but two if they sat behind someone good their freshman/sophomore year. One year wonders scare me. I want someone who defensive coordinators have seen, made adjustments to, and how have continued to excel.  A guy who’s “seen it all”, at least from a college perspective.

- accuracy on “big boy” throws. I don’t care if a guy competes 75% of his passes if they’re all within 3 yards of the LOS, I want to see tight window throws down the field, efficiency in the red zone, etc.

- wins.  This is relative to the school they played for.  I don’t expect a guy like Wilson at BYU to win as many games or big games as Fields at OSU, but the player should elevate the team to their highest possible level. 

- good play against top competition. I don’t care if a top prospect can drop 400 yards and 5 tuddies against Our Lady of the Poor, what do they do when they’re facing equal or better competition?  Do they still look like “the dude”?

- adequate physical skills. A QB doesn’t need to be able to chuck a pass 80 yards in a dome in shorts.  They don’t need to be 6’5.  Running a 4.4 isn’t necessary.  All that stuff is nice, but doesn’t really contribute to success most of the time.  

I agree with most of this. I’m just infatuated with Wilson right now because I think he’s got that rare ability to deliver the ball right where it needs to be with perfect timing. I think he’s very special in that area. I am sad he doesn’t have a ton of “film” on him. I’m of the viewpoint you can’t have too much to watch of QBs. But I’ve seen enough to feel pretty strongly he’s going to be good and worthy of the 2nd pick. 

Until I realize that the Jets are picking there and am no longer optimistic. See Darnold. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 7:20 AM, LinebackerGod said:

Wilson has the most arm talent and makes the most “wow” throws, similar to Baker in that regard. Baker’s TD bomb to Landry into double coverage vs. Carolina his rookie year is basically Wilson’s game. He makes some ballsy throws into very small windows, but he usually converts. I think he throws a ton of interceptions in the NFL, but is still a great player. He will be similar to Baker was in his first few seasons.

Lawrence has to go 1. You can’t not take the no-brainer. Nobody will kill you if Lawrence bombs somehow, but you’d literally bel lynched in the streets if you took someone before Lawrence and they busted.

Yeah, the Fields love is insane. Best Ohio State player ever? That made me chuckle. Fields isn’t a terrible prospect, but he’s not in the same stratosphere as Lawrence like some people want him to be. I think he falls into the tier 2 QB group, which consists of Wilson/Lance/Fields. He could go in the top 5 and I wouldn’t think it’s insane, but his processing skills are weak AF. He is basically what you’d get if you gave Tyrod Taylor a cannon for an arm. Not terrible, but not worthy of moving heaven and earth to get. I can see Fields being a starting QB for a while, but never really breaking the top 15 in terms of QB play.

The more I think about Fields, the more I like the comparison to a more athletic Mitch Trubisky. Mitch had great arm talent and was awesome in college, but struggles processing quickly. Trubisky had had some NFL success, but has been wildly inconsistent. I expect Fields to have some best games sandwiched between some stinkers.

The tier 2 QBs are all really close to me. I like Wilson’s arm, but he’s got a lot if flaws too. I wouldn’t think it was crazy if the Jets took Lance or Fields over him. 

MY QB RANKINGS:

1. Trevor Lawrence (84/100). 
2. Zach Wilson (74/100). 
3. Justin Fields (73/100). 
4. Trey Lance (72/100). 
5. Mac Jones (70/100). 

Interestingly enough Lindy’s draft guide has Mayfield as Wilson’s comparison. I know this will be a hot take but he personally reminds me of Rodgers. 

Oh and that’s my ranking for QBs this year too. Although I don’t have Lance ranked because I’ve never seen him play 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Just a random thought:

If we sign Clowney, would it make MORE sense to draft Jayson Oweh? He’s purely a gamble pick. At least with Clowney you’d have a fallback plan.

Idk with Oweh

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then.... I mean zero sacks cmon

he doesn’t get sacks from what I see on tape because he just doesn’t have those natural pass rush body movements that you can’t teach. 

he’s an athlete playing D end. I think there will be a number of better pass rushers out of this draft than Oweh. 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just a random thought:

If we sign Clowney, would it make MORE sense to draft Jayson Oweh? He’s purely a gamble pick. At least with Clowney you’d have a fallback plan.

Im still on Gregory Rousseau. If we get Clowney, We could really use Rousseau in a Justin Tuck type role. He could come in and Spell Garrett and Clowney when they get tired with Takk and when it comes to 3rd down passing situations, you could put him inside and have him rush as a DT

• Like 2