College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

10 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Not only these young guy's, but another shot in the dark, hail Marry, trying to catch lighting in a bottle DT prospect Malik McDowell, now its been a LONG time since he's played meaningful snaps of football...but he was a MONSTER at Mich St.....in a Perfect world, Wilson and McDowell both recognize their college promise and we are left to decide between Malik Jackson (Vet) and Andrew Billings (Run Stuffer) IF we keep a 5th DT.....with the top 4 being Wilson, Elliot, Tongi and McDowell....

Think it's a little too soon to expect that, but the potential for them being long-term pieces certainly is there.

Sooner or later Berry will hit on one or more of the longshots he plays.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, MWil23 said:

Gut feeling hot take:

Billings doesn't make the team. He's out of shape, doesn't look the part, and they think that multiple of the other younger/cheaper guys fills what he brings to the table.

He was a Berry guy, so he will be given his shot. 

Also think he is the best run defender on our DL until Togiai potentially proves that it is him.

He didnt look like he was in the greatest of shape but I saw it somewhere that it was reported that Garrett, Malik, and Billings were working out together. 

On 7/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, MWil23 said:

Gut feeling hot take:

Billings doesn't make the team. He's out of shape, doesn't look the part, and they think that multiple of the other younger/cheaper guys fills what he brings to the table.

Agreed on all accounts, I just don't see anything special about him. I think its at least 3 guys currently on the roster than can do what he does or better 

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Agreed on all accounts, I just don't see anything special about him. I think its at least 3 guys currently on the roster than can do what he does or better 

Who? Togiai might be a stud run defender but he has to prove it, Wilson has to prove last year was a fluke. I dont see 3 guys being a better anchor for against the run.

when it comes to being a zero/shade/1tech/under, whatever you want to call him. There is no one on this roster who is more proven agaisr the run.

elliot has a lot of growing, togiai and wilson are rookies, malik J.  is better for the pass than run,  Malik M. Is a massive ?, and Square is purely depth

what 3 guys are already better? 

also lets not act like Billings is this aging vet too. Dude is only 25

On 7/19/2021 at 9:39 PM, buno67 said:

Who? Togiai might be a stud run defender but he has to prove it, Wilson has to prove last year was a fluke. I dont see 3 guys being a better anchor for against the run.

when it comes to being a zero/shade/1tech/under, whatever you want to call him. There is no one on this roster who is more proven agaisr the run.

elliot has a lot of growing, togiai and wilson are rookies, malik J.  is better for the pass than run,  Malik M. Is a massive ?, and Square is purely depth

what 3 guys are already better? 

also lets not act like Billings is this aging vet too. Dude is only 25

Exactly, plus the dude is elite at stuffing the run. We're not expecting him to be on the field on 3rd down to rush the passer, he's expected to stop the run

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Feel like he’s going to climb up and being a top 10 pick, but Burks is the guy I want next year.

Hmm...I don't see anything even resembling top-10 from Burks. I think he'll be there at our pick if we want him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

He will be first WR drafted, but Olave is a Davante Adams clone.

I’m not so sure he doesn’t go middle to late first round instead of high first round. He is a great player, but I can see a couple other guys maybe entering the equation with the higher upsides. 

On 7/23/2021 at 1:21 AM, TeHDruiD said:

Exactly, plus the dude is elite at stuffing the run. We're not expecting him to be on the field on 3rd down to rush the passer, he's expected to stop the run

Agreed.  It seemed like a lot of our issues with linebackers last year was the defensive line not protecting them, therefor they got caught being blocked by offensive linemen.  I think Billings will do a lot to add to that.  We didn't have a good run stuffing DT before, hopefully Billings is what we need for that.  We have more than enough pass rushers with Jackson, Takk, Myles and Clowney, I like that billings is there to work the box.

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

Agreed.  It seemed like a lot of our issues with linebackers last year was the defensive line not protecting them, therefor they got caught being blocked by offensive linemen.  I think Billings will do a lot to add to that.  We didn't have a good run stuffing DT before, hopefully Billings is what we need for that.  We have more than enough pass rushers with Jackson, Takk, Myles and Clowney, I like that billings is there to work the box.

Nevermind

• Like 1