College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I like Owusu too, but Collins is way faster than 4.8. I see him around 4.6, definitely under 4.7. It'd be cool if Collins did that, though, and we got both; I trust in his play speed to be fast enough.

The best thing he has going is that he still is learning the D side of the ball.

14 hours ago, bruceb said:

Who is projected to run a 4.8-4.9 40?🙄

First question, projected by who? Second, did that same person see this, look at this clip of him, does this look anywhere close to 4.9? 

My call is 4.55 - 4.60

Also, I just think Collins is more of a every down player than I think Owusu is, Owusu reminds me of Deone Buchannon

Edited by MSURacerDT55

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

This is an impact player:

I find it so weird that half the forum was in love with Isaiah Simmons as a top 10 pick and now we don't want to take a similar prospect at 26.

JOK is a S/LB hybrid like a Derwin James or Simmons. You use him to cover at SS/Slot 60% of the time, rush 15% of the time, and play traditional LB type slots 25% of the time.

Two of our biggest obstacles on the way to the superbowl have mobile QBs and top end TE talents. JOK would help deal with both of those issues. He's not even at the top of my wish list. That would be a DE like Phillips/Rousseau. But I would be excited about a JOK pick. Certainly much more so than by a guy like Zaven Collins who is more of a traditional 3-4 OLB who should be playing the run or rushing the passer 90% of the time or a guy like Bolton who's more of a traditional MLB.

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

This is an impact player:

So Bruce, which LB do you like for us to take?

9 hours ago, FGK said:

I find it so weird that half the forum was in love with Isaiah Simmons as a top 10 pick and now we don't want to take a similar prospect at 26.

JOK is a S/LB hybrid like a Derwin James or Simmons. You use him to cover at SS/Slot 60% of the time, rush 15% of the time, and play traditional LB type slots 25% of the time.

Two of our biggest obstacles on the way to the superbowl have mobile QBs and top end TE talents. JOK would help deal with both of those issues. He's not even at the top of my wish list. That would be a DE like Phillips/Rousseau. But I would be excited about a JOK pick. Certainly much more so than by a guy like Zaven Collins who is more of a traditional 3-4 OLB who should be playing the run or rushing the passer 90% of the time or a guy like Bolton who's more of a traditional MLB.

We pretty much all want him, but he's gonna likely be gone by 20 or so.

Edited by NudeTayne

11 hours ago, FGK said:

Zaven Collins who is more of a traditional 3-4 OLB who should be playing the run or rushing the passer 90% of the time

“Collins did unprecedented things at the linebacker position this season for Tulsa. His 93.7 coverage grade sits well above the previous PFF record set by former UCLA Bruin and current Minnesota Viking Eric Kendricks in 2014 (92.1).

“The 6-foot-4, 240-pound off-ball linebacker tallied four interceptions, three forced incompletions and nine passing stops when dropping into coverage. He was also one of the top blitzing weapons in the country. All told, Collins picked up 16 pressures on 51 rushes and was the only player at his position to record 90.0-plus grades in coverage and as a blitzer.”

He's elite in both, I don't think we can fit him into a specific box

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He's elite in both, I don't think we can fit him into a specific box

That's fair. Honestly I don't know I had watched him enough and the one game I watched his snaps on he was way more valuable playing downhill both against the run and pass rushing. If those highlights are indicative, you might be right that he's much more flexible than I gave him credit for.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FGK said:

Certainly much more so than by a guy like Zaven Collins who is more of a traditional 3-4 OLB who should be playing the run or rushing the passer 90% of the time or a guy like Bolton who's more of a traditional MLB.

I have looked at highlight and game reels for both of them and neither, imho, are as athletic or consistently make "WOW" plays like JOK.

Bolton, in fact, looks real bad on a lot of plays and is way out of position, either because he misdiagnoses the play or just doesn't react quickly enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FGK said:

That's fair. Honestly I don't know I had watched him enough and the one game I watched his snaps on he was way more valuable playing downhill both against the run and pass rushing. If those highlights are indicative, you might be right that he's much more flexible than I gave him credit for.

I rank them:

JOK

Collins

Bolton

with a huge gap between JOK and Bolton and a lesser but significant one between JOK and Collins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I rank them:

JOK

Collins

Bolton

with a huge gap between JOK and Bolton and a lesser but significant one between JOK and Collins.

That's pretty close to how I see it as well, though I have the top two pretty close, both top-25 talents. That said, I'd be happy with JOK or Collins with our first pick but would rather go a different position than grabbing Bolton; I don't see enough I love there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Who is the most athletic DE in the draft? That’s who I want on the opposite side of Myles.

Most athletic would be Jayson Oweh for sure. Not even close. He's got pure speed to burn off the edge, but has zero IQ. He doesn't have a rush plan, doesn't employ any real pass rush moves, and doesn't have the ideal size to hold up against the run. He's good at setting an edge, but he does so by flying up the field, rather than shocking the OT and controlling.

However the best DE is almost certainly going to be Rousseau. He's got everything you need, from hand placement, size, athleticism, and a variety of pass rush moves. The only thing he can't do is be a drop DE (in my opinion). He's a traditional 4-3 edge that can also play over guards on 3rd down. He's so darn long that it's almost impossible to get hands on him.

The best blend of athleticism and IQ is probably Shaka Toney. He's a great athlete and plays the game the right way. That said, he's light in the pants. It hasn't hurt him too badly in terms of run defense yet, but I don't know if he can hold up as a starting LDE opposite Myles in base packages.

• Like 2