College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

I’m not shocked we interviewed Greg Newsome of Northwestern. He’s got nfl talent and athleticism, but red flags injury wise.

Quick Summary

Best: Length, quickness, agility, coverage ability, mental processing, versatility

Worst: Injury history, hand discipline, ball production

Projection: A starting outside cornerback with scheme versatility — Assuming he stays healthy.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:20 PM, candyman93 said:

I want Clowney and Oweh.

Just use raw athleticism to overwhelm teams.

Boy, its going to take some strong convictions to take him at #26, to take him at #26, Kiffin must believe he can make him into a dominant force which is a huge jump from where he currently is.

Oweh had 0 sacks last year, and that absolutely terrifies me and gives me some major Mingo flashbacks. His technique is nothing short of sloppy, and his physique needs work (not worried about that part). I think he's 2-3 years away from being a viable EDGE defender, best case scenario. Worst case scenario, he's a complete bust.

JMHO

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oweh had 0 sacks last year, and that absolutely terrifies me and gives me some major Mingo flashbacks. His technique is nothing short of sloppy, and his physique needs work (not worried about that part). I think he's 2-3 years away from being a viable EDGE defender, best case scenario. Worst case scenario, he's a complete bust.

JMHO

Oweh is probably worth the gamble depending on the board. He's also had a ton of pressures. I don't really care about sacks. Getting sacks requires the QB to be an idiot and hold onto the ball too long. I don't really think there's much difference between a sack and a pressure when evaluating these DE's. Some players get empty sacks where they're unblocked or where the QB just runs himself right into an easy one. I could care less about actual sack numbers if a dude is terrorizing QB's.

Oweh isn't a perfect prospect and he's certainly sloppy right now in his approach. But he's got as great of an upside as you'll ever find in a pass rusher. He's in the backfield consistently and does harass the QB. Sack numbers are flukey, tbh. If he flushes a QB out of the pocket and into Garrett's arms opposite him, I'll be a happy man. I don't need consistent flashy sack numbers.

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Boy, its going to take some strong convictions to take him at #26, to take him at #26, Kiffin must believe he can make him into a dominant force which is a huge jump from where he currently is.

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

JMHO

31 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

Oweh is probably worth the gamble depending on the board. He's also had a ton of pressures. I don't really care about sacks. Getting sacks requires the QB to be an idiot and hold onto the ball too long. I don't really think there's much difference between a sack and a pressure when evaluating these DE's. Some players get empty sacks where they're unblocked or where the QB just runs himself right into an easy one. I could care less about actual sack numbers if a dude is terrorizing QB's.

Oweh isn't a perfect prospect and he's certainly sloppy right now in his approach. But he's got as great of an upside as you'll ever find in a pass rusher. He's in the backfield consistently and does harass the QB. Sack numbers are flukey, tbh. If he flushes a QB out of the pocket and into Garrett's arms opposite him, I'll be a happy man. I don't need consistent flashy sack numbers.

Could Oweh make it to our 2nd rounder? I'd feel a whole lot better with him there than our first pick.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

He has a weak lower body and core and gets bullied in the running game. Perhaps work on his frame will help, but combined with his absolutely reprehensible (lack of) hand usage or any semblance of footwork, I'd be extremely disappointed if we got him anywhere before R3.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Could Oweh make it to our 2nd rounder? I'd feel a whole lot better with him there than our first pick.

I think teams see him run an absurdly stupid 40 (maybe sub 4.4) and he goes R1, or at the worst early R2.

48 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He has a weak lower body and core and gets bullied in the running game. Perhaps work on his frame will help, but combined with his absolutely reprehensible (lack of) hand usage or any semblance of footwork, I'd be extremely disappointed if we got him anywhere before R3.

This guy has project written all over him, there would be no way we could expect him to contribute right away. I for one don't think he is a football player, but is more of an athlete playing football. 

Conversely, maybe he is getting some training, bulking up a tad (260) and learning how to actually play the position. I know if I were a franchise, I absolutely have to see him in person and see these things before I invest anything significant in a guy like him

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

This guy has project written all over him, there would be no way we could expect him to contribute right away. I for one don't think he is a football player, but is more of an athlete playing football. 

We are absolutely on the same page here.

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

Conversely, maybe he is getting some training, bulking up a tad and learning how to actually play the position. I know if I were a franchise, I absolutely have to see him in person and see these things before I invest anything significant in a guy like him

Yeah, if anything, not having those combine tests and drills could hurt him. I personally don't want to be the team that drafts him without the chance of working him out.

He's sloppy and wins on his pure athleticism, and he doesn't win often enough for me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Probably not. He's climbing up draft boards recently and he hasn't even put out a crazy pro day yet, which is likely coming. I think 3-4 teams will love him even more. I could see him going as early as #23 to the Jets.

55 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's ok in the run game. He doesn't use his hands and doesn't disengage from blockers, but he at least takes care of his gap. It's not a strength of his, but it's not like he's Mingo bad against the run.

Just now, GodOfLinebackers said:

He's ok in the run game. He doesn't use his hands and doesn't disengage from blockers, but he at least takes care of his gap. It's not a strength of his, but it's not like he's Mingo bad against the run.

He's average AT BEST at the D1 level, and will absolutely be subpar at the next level unless he figures out basic footwork and hand usage. The frame portion I'm not worried about, but he has almost 0 football skills and relies 100% on his athletic ability.

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I am with you take are first plus picks and go get Rousseau. 

• Like 1