College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

JOKs best game of the season.

I know Lawrence didn’t play in this one, but his backup was the #1 ranked QB coming out of high school and is going to be a heisman candidate.

While he had those two highlight plays, I honestly see this one a bit different and we not impressed. His coverage was loose and he was not beating guys but more cleaning up plays. I didn't see much in the way of instincts in this one.

• Like 1

I'm coming around to JOK. I still am not a big fan of taking a linebacker that high, but JOK is really freaking good. If all of the top pass rushers are gone and we address CB in free agency, JOK would be cool with me.

Guys I would take over JOK that are realistic "gets":

1. Gregory Rousseau
2. Jaelan Phillips
3. Maybe Kwity Paye
4. Maybe Greg Newsome

I like JOK more than Zaven Collins. JOK has a more well-rounded skill set and can actually cover. Zaven Collins is fine spot dropping, but he's not someone that's a matchup problem for guys in man. Being able to drop in zone should be a prerequisite, not something that makes coaches salivate. It's the LB's that can cover TE's in man coverage that provide true value. JOK can cover all TE's and a lot of WR's. He's a different breed of athlete at linebacker...plus, the dude isn't stupid. He's really good at reading and diagnosing plays.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, candyman93 said:

I’m not shocked we interviewed Greg Newsome of Northwestern. He’s got nfl talent and athleticism, but red flags injury wise.

His tape really is fantastic. He clicks and closes extremely fast. Plus, he's got a big body and whacks people. I wonder what kind of an athlete he really is, but the dude's tape is great.

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

JOKs best game of the season.

I know Lawrence didn’t play in this one, but his backup was the #1 ranked QB coming out of high school and is going to be a heisman candidate.

true but your first start of your college career as a freshman is on the road vs ND...

JOK is really a safety that was asked to play LB at Notre Dame.  He is also not as good as Isaiah Simmons was coming out and Simmons was mediocre at best his rookie season.  With a learning curve, he might work in Woods scheme, for as long as the Browns decide to stick with that. I think if you are going to play him as a true LB he ranks behind both Parsons and Collins at the position.

As a safety JOK might be the best in this draft class, which is relatively weak and may not see a first rounder outside of JOK. As much as LB seems to be undervalued these days, not sure a first round safety is the way to go.  

That being said I am not sure JOK will be there when the Browns pick, but this year more than most the draft will be a crap shoot as to how teams are viewing these players, especially the ones who sat out this past year. Some guys could fall unexpectedly.  I am kind of hoping one of the CBs fall to us as I have no hope that Greedy plays again, or if he does for any extended period of time.

13 minutes ago, Pruitt3443 said:

JOK is really a safety that was asked to play LB at Notre Dame.  He is also not as good as Isaiah Simmons was coming out and Simmons was mediocre at best his rookie season.  With a learning curve, he might work in Woods scheme, for as long as the Browns decide to stick with that. I think if you are going to play him as a true LB he ranks behind both Parsons and Collins at the position.

As a safety JOK might be the best in this draft class, which is relatively weak and may not see a first rounder outside of JOK. As much as LB seems to be undervalued these days, not sure a first round safety is the way to go.  

That being said I am not sure JOK will be there when the Browns pick, but this year more than most the draft will be a crap shoot as to how teams are viewing these players, especially the ones who sat out this past year. Some guys could fall unexpectedly.  I am kind of hoping one of the CBs fall to us as I have no hope that Greedy plays again, or if he does for any extended period of time.

Isaiah Simmons is not as good as JOK. Bigger and faster doesn’t mean better. Simmons had plenty of flaws as a prospect coming out. Also, there was no specific role for Simmons. JOK has a very specific role for the NFL. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

Isaiah Simmons is not as good as JOK. Bigger and faster doesn’t mean better. Simmons had plenty of flaws as a prospect coming out. Also, there was no specific role for Simmons. JOK has a very specific role for the NFL. 

not even that. I dont think Arizona even had a role for him. They took him and how no idea how to use him. In Cleveland tho, I think their is a role ready for him. Browns need a player like him in their scheme. Arizona has the player but not the scheme yet

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

While he had those two highlight plays, I honestly see this one a bit different and we not impressed. His coverage was loose and he was not beating guys but more cleaning up plays. I didn't see much in the way of instincts in this one.

That’s completely accurate and fair.

I don’t want him to be a stack and shed monster. I want him to be a playmaker like a Derrick Brooks. I want him doing this:

Edited by candyman93

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s completely accurate and fair.

I don’t want him to be a stack and shed monster. I want him to be a playmaker like a Derrick Brooks. I want him doing this:

Fwiw, Brooks had 15 pounds or so on Owusu.

Jamin Davis is really good. Just watched him for the first time. He does pretty much the same things that JOK does, but he's bigger and a titch less comfortable in man coverage out on the perimeter. JOK is definitely better in coverage, but Davis might be ahead of Zaven Collins for me when it's all said and done. The guy is a stud muffin and has translatable traits. He can play out in space easily and has excellent diagnosing skills inside of the box.

What are anybody's thoughts on Anthony Schwartz the WR out of Auburn? I only saw a couple of games of theirs but seems like he would fit our need for speed at that position. If you could get him in round 5 or so I think he could help fill a need.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pruitt3443 said:

What are anybody's thoughts on Anthony Schwartz the WR out of Auburn? I only saw a couple of games of theirs but seems like he would fit our need for speed at that position. If you could get him in round 5 or so I think he could help fill a need.

He's a nice deep threat, but his catch radius is really small. He isn't as shifty, but he reminds me a little bit of Travis Benjamin. Can rip the top off of the defense with ease, but simply doesn't run a great route tree, nor does he bail his QB out when there are contested catch situations. He runs the Ricardo Louis route tree (aka 1-2 routes) at Auburn and wasn't asked to do much else. I like him as like a 6th-7th round pick, but I wouldn't take him before that to be honest.

Tamorrion Terry can do the same things in a much bigger body.