College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

Based on free agency, we no longer have a huge hole at any position group.  Obviously we can improve multiple places, but I think FA allows them to simply draft BPA, which is how it should be done.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we took a WR, CB, LB, DE, or a DT round 1.

Just get the best guy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Based on free agency, we no longer have a huge hole at any position group.  Obviously we can improve multiple places, but I think FA allows them to simply draft BPA, which is how it should be done.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we took a WR, CB, LB, DE, or a DT round 1.

Just get the best guy.

I wouldnt mind them continuing to add to the OL in the mid-rounds for development behind guys like Bitonio and Tretter. It would be nice to keep a strength a strength and not be scrambling when/if some of the older OL get let go eventually

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I wouldnt mind them continuing to add to the OL in the mid-rounds for development behind guys like Bitonio and Tretter. It would be nice to keep a strength a strength and not be scrambling when/if some of the older OL get let go eventually

I’ve been saying that for months.

We need defensive talent for sure, but I don’t see us keeping 7 or 8 rookies on that side of the ball.

I’ve been consistent in wanting;

WR (day 2 is my preference) 

OL (day 3)

RB (later half of day 3)

and possibly TE (day 3, this would depend on what they have planned for Njoku.  If he’s going to be here one more year, we probably won’t do anything)

That still leaves 5-6 picks for the defense, most of which are earlier in the draft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve been saying that for months.

We need defensive talent for sure, but I don’t see us keeping 7 or 8 rookies on that side of the ball.

I’ve been consistent in wanting;

WR (day 2 is my preference) 

OL (day 3)

RB (later half of day 3)

and possibly TE (day 3, this would depend on what they have planned for Njoku.  If he’s going to be here one more year, we probably won’t do anything)

That still leaves 5-6 picks for the defense, most of which are earlier in the draft.

Right its the same philosophy the Steelers and Ravens do which is how their front 7 every year seems to have new guys that just pop up out of nowhere to replace some veterans. Keep drafting talent behind your strengths so that 1) your not pigeonholed into paying 1 guy and 2) It keeps you flexible in the future.

Bringing in another DPJ type talent in the mid-rounds will allow us next year or the year after to hopefully let OBJ walk and not be hit as hard if there are guys that have been in the system for a few years ready for a starters load.

Inventing in another OG/C will help transition away from Bitonio/Tretter eventually. Another RB late to take Kareems spot in a year or two, ect, ect, ect

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I mean, when Bitonio and Tretter get old, they can be replaced in free agency or the draft too.

I think we draft a pass rusher in round 1.

Additionally, we also still have Drew Forbes, so I wouldn’t be shocked if they feel ok at G.

That said, we lost Lamm in FA and Hubbard only has one year left on his deal. We could definitely use a young development guy who can be our 4th tackle this season and hopefully be ready to be the swing tackle next season.

I’d honestly be pretty surprised if we don’t draft an OL, especially considering how much they prioritized it last season.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, BrownsDog23 said:

Based on FA I think that the Brown first pick whether they stay at 26 or trade back is going to be a CB assuming that Surtain, Farley, and Horn are off the board how would you rank the rest of the class.

At 26, if we decide to go CB (I think we'll go DE tho), we're in a prime position to take Greg Newsome II or Asante Samuel Jr. Both of these guys are good zone corners. They're not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, but they'll be competent players in Woods' scheme. I'd love to hold out until 59 for one of them, but doubt they'll both still be there. Wouldn't be shocked if one of these guys is the pick if neither of Paye or Rousseau slip to us. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Coincidentally, McKinley was picked at 26.

If we go DE I think that's about what we can expect in terms of the type of player we get.

I would rather punt.

I'd rather trade up and ensure we land one of the studs (Rousseau/Phillips). If we miss on those two, punt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I'd rather trade up and ensure we land one of the studs (Rousseau/Phillips). If we miss on those two, punt.

Phillips' concussion history scares me.

We do not need another potentially fragile player...we have enough of those. 

Edited by bruceb
grammar

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Coincidentally, McKinley was picked at 26.

If we go DE I think that's about what we can expect in terms of the type of player we get.

I would rather punt.

Montez Sweat was the latest DE to be drafted at 26. He destoyed our tackles this past season. So we could get that quality of a DE...