College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

8 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

At 26, if we decide to go CB (I think we'll go DE tho), we're in a prime position to take Greg Newsome II or Asante Samuel Jr. Both of these guys are good zone corners. They're not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, but they'll be competent players in Woods' scheme. I'd love to hold out until 59 for one of them, but doubt they'll both still be there. Wouldn't be shocked if one of these guys is the pick if neither of Paye or Rousseau slip to us. 

I agree with all of this.

It’s nice not having an ungodly amount of holes like we used to. I loved our free agency pickups. We got a competent LB and some good players for the secondary.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Also, I know he’s got a injury prone past, but I’d draft Newsome at 26. Fantastic breakdown of him: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/greg-newsome-nfl-draft-player-profile-northwestern-cornerback/

Just keep your fingers crossed either him or Greedy can pan out.

That sounds more like an act of faith than analytics.

8 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The concussion thing is next level scary. He's not going to be on a solid amount of draft boards for that reason. He's interesting but I'd rather go someone like Basham if Paye and Rousseau are gone. 

I know the concussion thing is scary, but we need more juice off the edge. Phillips has elite potential as an every down DE. The concussions are not nothing, but it’s worth the risk. You aren’t getting perfect prospects in the draft. The guys at 26 are either gonna lack physical traits OR have some sort of injury history. That, or hold very little positional value.

I’d rather swing for the fences and hope he stays healthy rather than draft scared and bunt.

My Ideal Scenarios:

1. Trade up for Rousseau. 
2. Draft Jaelan Phillips at 26. 
3. Draft Greg Newsome at 26. (another scary pick)
4. Trade down. 

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

I know the concussion thing is scary, but we need more juice off the edge. Phillips has elite potential as an every down DE. The concussions are not nothing, but it’s worth the risk. You aren’t getting perfect prospects in the draft. The guys at 26 are either gonna lack physical traits OR have some sort of injury history. That, or hold very little positional value.

I’d rather swing for the fences and hope he stays healthy rather than draft scared and bunt.

My Ideal Scenarios:

1. Trade up for Rousseau. 
2. Draft Jaelan Phillips at 26. 
3. Draft Greg Newsome at 26. (another scary pick)
4. Trade down. 

Of course there’s also the option of looking for a solid base hit or trying to aim for the gaps...

I don’t think you need to draft a star every year round one, but what you really can’t do is whiff entirely.  You need to grab a guy who looks like a viable 2 contract “good” starter.  Same in round 2.

Swinging for the fences is for later in the draft imo.

34 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course there’s also the option of looking for a solid base hit or trying to aim for the gaps...

I don’t think you need to draft a star every year round one, but what you really can’t do is whiff entirely.  You need to grab a guy who looks like a viable 2 contract “good” starter.  Same in round 2.

I get it. But I just look at our pass rush situation and us adding another elite edge is the difference between having a dominant defense and a solid one. I guess I feel like two stud DE's gives us the chance to beat ANYONE in the NFL with our defense. Garrett and a solid B- guy on the other side is also good, but doesn't really allow us to take over games defensively....IMO.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Definitely agree with this.

I don't love our options at either DE or CB if we stay at 26.  I'm not even sold on Rousseau if he drops to us.  I know LBGod loves him, but he's very risky.

To me, this is the perfect year to trade for a proven player.  If Berry can swing a deal at a reasonable price, that'd be my preference.  Other than that, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and gaining picks (I know some people will hate that). I'd also consider moving up for one of the safer 1st rounders if they fell (for example, if Barmore fell into the late teens).

This may not be the year to sit and wait for the draft to come to us.  There are just too many unknowns this year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I get it. But I just look at our pass rush situation and us adding another elite edge is the difference between having a dominant defense and a solid one. I guess I feel like two stud DE's gives us the chance to beat ANYONE in the NFL with our defense. Garrett and a solid B- guy on the other side is also good, but doesn't really allow us to take over games defensively....IMO.

I dont know if you can plan for other teams, but we need to be able to shutdown the Ravens offense if we want to win the division. I know its probably dumb to draft based off of your divisional opponents, but at the same time we need to really improve the front 7 still with 4 guys who can create havoc without blitzing.

Sure that helps against all teams but Ravens specifically to get us over that hump.

Im all for loading up the front 7 with DL/LB with the first 2-3 picks in the draft.

I'd be happy with a well balanced DL as opposed to just two good bookends, I definitely think we are in play for DT at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking hard at guys like 

-Levi Onwuzurike

-Daviyon Nixon

-Alim Mitchell

Also wouldn't be surprised with a guy like Boogie Basham who can play inside on 3rd downs as well  

Edited by MSURacerDT55

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'd be happy with a well balanced DL as opposed to just two good bookends, I definitely think we are in play for DT at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking hard at guys like 

-Levi Onwuzurike

-Daviyon Nixon

-Alim Mitchell

Also wouldn't be surprised with a guy like Boogie Basham who can play inside on 3rd downs as well  

I havent been doing any draft research this year like Ive done in previous years--so I know next to nothing about anybody outside of the top 15. That said, whatever DT that has some size to them would be great. Even if its just a early down run stopper.

Not saying they need a NT like Danny Shelton but they need somebody in the interior that doesnt get knocked back. I noticed towards the end of last season against good teams the Browns DL including Larry/Richardson/ect were all just being manhandled and knocked backwards off the line. Malik Jackson is only going to compound that problem on early downs because he is far more of a passing down rusher. Takk isnt known for his run stopping ability either.

I would like to get a big body run stopper in the middle that can hold up at the point of attack. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I havent been doing any draft research this year like Ive done in previous years--so I know next to nothing about anybody outside of the top 15. That said, whatever DT that has some size to them would be great. Even if its just a early down run stopper.

Not saying they need a NT like Danny Shelton but they need somebody in the interior that doesnt get knocked back. I noticed towards the end of last season against good teams the Browns DL including Larry/Richardson/ect were all just being manhandled and knocked backwards off the line. Malik Jackson is only going to compound that problem on early downs because he is far more of a passing down rusher. Takk isnt known for his run stopping ability either.

I would like to get a big body run stopper in the middle that can hold up at the point of attack. 

I’ve always found DT to be the hardest position to evaluate.

Many of the “lazy” players are fine at the next level as they will rotate more than in college.

They also tend to see the fewest number of elite opponents as many NFL caliber guards played tackle in college.

I personally would need to see some really special physical traits to even consider a DT round one, and the guys that have those traits and tape to match don’t typically last until late in round 1.