College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve always found DT to be the hardest position to evaluate.

Many of the “lazy” players are fine at the next level as they will rotate more than in college.

They also tend to see the fewest number of elite opponents as many NFL caliber guards played tackle in college.

I personally would need to see some really special physical traits to even consider a DT round one, and the guys that have those traits and tape to match don’t typically last until late in round 1.

Oh I agree, they dont need to get a guy like Brown from Auburn last year but it would be nice to see if they spent a day 2 pick on a guy who can hold the middle of the line on early downs.

The Browns got destroyed last year in the middle of their front 7 and pushed around frequently. I understand getting to the passer is important, but lining up Garrett/Richardson/Jackson/McKinley across the front 4 is begging the other team to run the ball down our throats.

Especially playing against the Ravens, the Browns need to solve that problem.

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh I agree, they dont need to get a guy like Brown from Auburn last year but it would be nice to see if they spent a day 2 pick on a guy who can hold the middle of the line on early downs.

The Browns got destroyed last year in the middle of their front 7 and pushed around frequently. I understand getting to the passer is important, but lining up Garrett/Richardson/Jackson/McKinley across the front 4 is begging the other team to run the ball down our throats.

Especially playing against the Ravens, the Browns need to solve that problem.

I get what you’re saying, and they do need to tighten up the run D, but the Ravens are somewhat of an anomaly.

Also, I think the killer against the Ravens last year was not having anyone who could athletically stay with Lamar.  He was moving at warp speed against our DL and LBers.  We didn’t have the talent at DB to stick with anyone.

Id fiddle around with a 5-1-5 against them and see how that works.

Myles, Sheldon, Eliot, Jackson and Takk (as well as draftees) on the DL

The shiniest turd of the linebacker pile.

2 corners and 3 safeties with Harrison or Delpit spying Lamar.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get what you’re saying, and they do need to tighten up the run D, but the Ravens are somewhat of an anomaly.

Also, I think the killer against the Ravens last year was not having anyone who could athletically stay with Lamar.  He was moving at warp speed against our DL and LBers.  We didn’t have the talent at DB to stick with anyone.

Id fiddle around with a 5-1-5 against them and see how that works.

Myles, Sheldon, Eliot, Jackson and Takk (as well as draftees) on the DL

The shiniest turd of the linebacker pile.

2 corners and 3 safeties with Harrison or Delpit spying Lamar.

😠😡😤

All will behold Jacob Phillips year two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

😠😡😤

I mean, I hope so.

Kid definitely had some issues/hurdles to overcome last year with the injuries, no training camp, etc.  He also didn’t have the benefit of playing with a lot of talent around him who could cover up rookie mistakes.

I could definitely see a big leap year one to year two.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I hope so.

Kid definitely had some issues/hurdles to overcome last year with the injuries, no training camp, etc.  He also didn’t have the benefit of playing with a lot of talent around him who could cover up rookie mistakes.

I could definitely see a big leap year one to year two.

I hope so, its weird to tailor your team around a divison rival, but when that division rival is going to stand between you and winning the division--then thats when I wouldnt mind drafting for them specifically.

DEN did it last year playing in the same division with Pat Mahomes and they went out and drafted Jeudy, Hamler and brought in Melvin Gordon to try to fight fire with fire. So Ive seen teams do it before.

At least next year is when we find out what guys like Phillips, Mack and Takitaki truly are. 

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I havent been doing any draft research this year like Ive done in previous years--so I know next to nothing about anybody outside of the top 15. That said, whatever DT that has some size to them would be great. Even if its just a early down run stopper.

Not saying they need a NT like Danny Shelton but they need somebody in the interior that doesnt get knocked back. I noticed towards the end of last season against good teams the Browns DL including Larry/Richardson/ect were all just being manhandled and knocked backwards off the line. Malik Jackson is only going to compound that problem on early downs because he is far more of a passing down rusher. Takk isnt known for his run stopping ability either.

I would like to get a big body run stopper in the middle that can hold up at the point of attack. 

Those guys are always needed IMO especially on base run downs. Guys who are good against the run that could be had in the 3rd or lower:

Tyler Shelvin - Outstanding motor 

Marvin Wilson - Bully inside 

Tommy Togiai - Stud inside, glue to a great run defense 

TJ Slaton - Dog

Khyiris Tonga - underrated

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One guy who I think our FO would like is Ronnie Perkins.

Thoughts?  @MSURacerDT55 @LinebackerGod @whoeverthehellelse

On 2/4/2021 at 9:13 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:
  On 2/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

Thoughts on Ronnie Perkins?

- Really good footall player, really good football I.Q, outstanding motor/effort

- Not really excited by his athleticism for a guy who looks about 6'2 245 on the field, also a major thing I noticed was how tight he was coming around the edge 

He looked great in drills and finished with the following numbers in testing: 9-7 broad; 32-inch vertical; 4.71 seconds in the 40-yard dash; 4.69-second 20-yard shuttle; 25 reps in the bench press.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One guy who I think our FO would like is Ronnie Perkins.

Thoughts?  @MSURacerDT55 @LinebackerGod @whoeverthehellelse

Meh. That’s really how I would describe his tool box. He finds a way to get to the QB, but overall, he’s limited as an athlete and is small. He’s not limited athletically in the way that Curtis Weaver is, but he’s not a guy that’s gonna win with a speed rush consistently. He’s got a high motor and is always running to the football. Has a nice dip/rip move to the QB, but doesn’t counter and doesn’t play gap sound on the edges. He’s great on stunts and angles and gets a lot of production as a “looper” from the edge.

I see a guy that is going to be easily handled by good OT’s in the NFL. He won’t be an epic bust because he plays hard, but I don’t know if he’ll ever give you consistent pass rush production.

I have him as a 4th-5th round prospect. He’s projecting to go in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

😠😡😤

Excellent point if Phillips steps up we will have a average linebacking core and that will be all that we need.

If everyone comes back healthy in the backfield we are a threat to go all the way.