College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

Just now, LinebackerGod said:

Yep. Cheating bastards. Freaking Perry H.S. literally was blocking our MIKE linebacker on about 80% of their passing plays. No joke. Referees don’t care.

Don’t even get me started. The “pop” to the TE is not only always there when the Mike fits, but we teach him that he has to fit to beat the veer block from the OT. When this happens simultaneously, IT IS LITERALLY A PENALTY!!!! Centerville does this with regularity.

Just now, LinebackerGod said:

I hate teams that motion or trade their TE’s a lot. We are usually still up to that challenge/adjustment, but it’s a pain to practice against and it neuters your defensive playcaling. If I were an OC, I would motion and formation shift constantly. You’re likely going to get vanilla playcaling from a defense if that fear is there.

I will say though, we hardly ever blitzed and sat in Cover 2 about 93% of our snaps. We have a nasty twist game with the DL, but our LBs hardly ever blitz b/c they were getting caught in the wash against power/counter schemes. 

We are basically exclusively a Cover 3 team. I’ve tried to talk our HC/DC into being a Cover 2/4 and press man look to go with our UP/blitz disguised packages on third downs because it’s super simple for our kids to learn and OC don’t know what coverage we are running. We can show a Cover 0 and then drop into a Cover 2 at the snap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Don’t even get me started. The “pop” to the TE is not only always there when the Mike fits, but we teach him that he has to fit to beat the veer block from the OT. When this happens simultaneously, IT IS LITERALLY A PENALTY!!!! Centerville does this with regularity.

Yeah the refs will call this crap once or twice a game to keep you from literally murdering them, but that’s about it. 

Edited by LinebackerGod

4 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Yeah the refs will call this crap once or twice a game to keep you from literally murdering them, but that’s about it. 

Last year pregame I had our DC show via HUDL a clip to the referees pregame of them veering 9.5 yards downfield and blocking a box safety. Credit to them for humoring us and throwing a flag play 1 😂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brownie man said:

I was just coming here to say I wanted the kid 😂 

I literally came to this thread at this moment to say I want Tutu Atwell. 

If I could get him in the third I’d be thrilled. But we may have to trade up. But offensively he’s my guy this year. Out of all the players on offense in this draft for us in my opinion he brings the most value with his skill set, talent, and projected draft area. 

I’ve been catching up and watching all the receivers. He’s the one I want. He’s got that true straight line take the top off 4.35 speed. 

Essentially Travis Benjamin 2.0

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Is it me or does Browning feel like hes going to down the same career road as Jerome Baker and Raekwon McMillian. Good LBs at OSU, great athletes, become very pedestrian NFL players for whatever reason.

Its you, Browning has a totally different level of explosion and totally different skill set as those two. I'm high on him, I've been high on him and if you watched the Pro Day, did anyone notice how long Mike Tomlin spent with him immediately after it was over? 

Watch he go somewhere and is an impact player, we need to put are biases aside and see this kid for what he can be, this is what NFL people do. Also do you all notice that this guy has a knack for making impact plays in big games (Alabama, Clemson '21, Clemson '20), you would be a fool to think of wouldn't have an impact in a specific role here with the potential to grow into a significant role. Open your minds people......

This could very well be the guy that gets us off the field next time we have a 3rd and 17 Kansas City situation

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:
15 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Is it me or does Browning feel like hes going to down the same career road as Jerome Baker and Raekwon McMillian. Good LBs at OSU, great athletes, become very pedestrian NFL players for whatever reason.

Its you, Browning has a totally different level of explosion and totally different skill set as those two. I'm high on him, I've been high on him and if you watched the Pro Day, did anyone notice how long Mike Tomlin spent with him immediately after it was over? 

Watch he go somewhere and is an impact player, we need to put are biases aside and see this kid for what he can be, this is what NFL people do. Also do you all notice that this guy has a knack for making impact plays in big games (Alabama, Clemson '21, Clemson '20), you would be a fool to think of wouldn't have an impact in a specific role here with the potential to grow into a significant role. Open your minds people......

This could very well be the guy that gets us off the field next time we have a 3rd and 17 Kansas City situation

Baker last year had 100+tackles,7 sacks, 11QB hits, 3 PDs, and 2FF. I think that dude is starting to blossom in that defensive scheme now.

I think its all about the scheme. Raekwon looked good his rookie year in miami but they were a 4-3 and then changed to 3-4. He isnt a 3/4 ILB. Same with Baker, think he fits better in the 3/4. hence why Raekwon was trade

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Baker last year had 100+tackles,7 sacks, 11QB hits, 3 PDs, and 2FF. I think that dude is starting to blossom in that defensive scheme now.

I think its all about the scheme. Raekwon looked good his rookie year in miami but they were a 4-3 and then changed to 3-4. He isnt a 3/4 ILB. Same with Baker, think he fits better in the 3/4. hence why Raekwon was trade

Also isn't Baker he a captain?  Also,Flores also has been shipping out anyone who cant help him moving forward including Van Noy who was one of his position players at New England 

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Essentially Travis Benjamin 2.0

I'd have 0 complaints if he is our round 2 pick, as long as we get a DL or CB in the first.

Something tells me he will go somewhere between our 1st and 2nd round selections though

Feel like getting some of my Top 5's out.....inspired by Bucky Brooks.

Top Wr's

1. Ja'Marr Chase*, WR, LSU
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200

2.DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 170

3.Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue
Height: 5-9. Weight: 180.

4.Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Height: 5-10. Weight: 182

5. Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
Height: 6-2. Weight: 210

Top Safeties

1. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 208

2. Jevon Holland, S, Oregon
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200

3. Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
Height: 6-0. Weight: 203

4. Paris Ford, S, Pittsburgh
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190

5. Richie Grant, S, Central Florida
Height: 6-0. Weight: 194

*Sign DE JaDeveon Clowney for 1-year. 
*Trade both 3rd’s and a 7th for a 2nd. 
*Trade both 4th’s & a 6th for a 3rd. 

#26-Gregory Rousseau DE Miami Fl. 
2nd-Jamin Davis WLB Kentucky
2nd-Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse
3rd-Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State
5th-Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State
UDFA-Justin Hall WR Ball State
UDFA-Anthony Hines SLB Texas A&M
UDFA-Zach McCloud WLB Miami Fl.

QB: Mayfield/Keenum/Lauletta. 
RB: Chubb/Hunt/Johnson. 
FB: Janovich. 
WR: OBJ/Landry/Higgins/DPJ/Terry/Hodge. 
TE: Hooper/Njoku/Bryant. 
LT: Wills/Taylor. 
LG: Bitonio/Forbes. 
OC: Tretter/Harris. 
RG: Teller/Dunn. 
RT: Conklin/Hubbard

LE: Clowney/Rousseau/Jackson
DT: Richardson/Billing/Jackson/Togiai/Elliot
RE: Garrett/McKinley/Gustin
WLB: Davis/McCloud
MLB: Walker/Wilson/Lee
SLB: Takitaki/Hines (Harrison in nickel).
CB: Ward/Melifonwu/Hill/Greedy/Stewart
FS: Delpit/Redwine
SS: Johnson/Harrison

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

*Sign DE JaDeveon Clowney for 1-year. 
*Trade both 3rd’s and a 7th for a 2nd. 
*Trade both 4th’s & a 6th for a 3rd. 

#26-Gregory Rousseau DE Miami Fl. 
2nd-Jamin Davis WLB Kentucky
2nd-Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse
3rd-Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State
5th-Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State

I’m not usually one to be in favor of trade ups, but if we could land those 6 guys in FA and the draft without giving up ‘22 picks, I’m all in.

The DL is completely transformed, Davis gives us the second level stud we need and Melifonwu adds an elite athlete at CB. Terry looks to be the exact type of WR we need as well.

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

being 5-7 is a huge turnoff for me

Between the height and the injury history, there’s just too many red flags for me to take him before day 3, by which he’ll be long gone.

I get he was explosive in college, but he barely played and there’s not really a comp for him at his size of someone who’s been successful in the league.  At least not successful enough to warrant a day 1/2 pick.