College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

Some serious parity in college football. A lot of these top 10 ranked teams are not that good.

Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State may as well already be in the playoffs unless Covid strikes and Big Ten cancels games, etc. 

Teams like Georgia, Notre Dame, Texas, come on now.

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

God awful defenses today.

This is high school / arena football dog ****.

I’m honestly surprised the NFL hasn’t been similar here. Lack of time to practice tackling, coverages, etc. We need to change “college open” to “Covid Open” for this year. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

KJ Costello, I think he could be a sleeper kind of QB in the draft unless he keeps destroying SEC defenses. He straight picked apart LSUs defense. Really want to see what he does in a couple weeks and defenses get film on the new offense

Bo Pellini got schooled, He won't, he is already on the radar, but him doing that against SEC defenses might have already solidified him being a legit prospect in some scouts eyes already. Especially LSU who stays loaded with prospects

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Bo Pellini got schooled, He won't, he is already on the radar, but him doing that against SEC defenses might have already solidified him being a legit prospect in some scouts eyes already. Especially LSU who stays loaded with prospects

Just don’t like his throwing motion. It looks funky 

We definitely need some athleticism at linebacker. Hopefully things shake out that way with the draft board and who is out there when we pick. Otherwise though, go best player and then get one or two starting with day two. Sign a couple guys and load up all over the defense. We could maybe use a cornerback also. We honestly have no idea at this point what we have in Greedy Williams, and he can’t seem to stay healthy anyways. You need at least three good corners anyways. There really aren’t any positions on defense that I would tell you we couldn’t use a player at. Defensive tackle seems to be relatively strong at least this season but we also don’t even know if those guys will be back next season with contracts, etc.

Obv BPA, but ideally I’d want something like this.

R1: LB/DE

R2: LB/DE

Between OV leaving and having no one ready to replace him and positional importance, I think DE will be a position we look at early.  We need to bolster the front 7 and I’d look for a linebacker and DE (either order) early. LB is obvious.

R3: WR: Maybe not an immediate starter, but someone with the ability to hopefully start year two and definitely someone with vertical speed. OBJ’s eventual replacement if things go as planned.

R3: CB/S

R4: CB/S

R4: CB/S

Time to upgrade the defensive backfield.  We’ve got some decent starting options, but depth is an issue.

R5: LB: We need both high end talent and depth.  This is the depth.

R5: IOL: With the development of Teller the need for an OG has decreased significantly, but good teams manage to find and develop guards from day 3 picks.  

R6: RB: They don’t need to be a 3 down bell cow type back, they can have a very particular skill set or unique ability, perhaps a return guy.  Either way, Johnson hasn’t raised an eyebrow once in the two years he’s been here and he’s active every week, so I’d look to upgrade the spot if able.

R7: LB: Another crack at depth.

To make a lot of this work, I look to resign Hubbard, Money Mitch, keep Richardson and likely try to resign Joseph.