College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My hands wouldn’t be above the water.

Just like fashion trends, football too will someday revert back 40 years and be trendy again. When tomorrows Jason Gildon meets Mike Alstott in the hole, I’ll have a smile on a face and a cigar pursed between my lips. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Part of that number though is the fact we sucked in general and teams were killing the clock in the 4th.

Fair, which is why I didn't go back to pre-2017. And what about last year? The years before?

What about some of those years where we were actually competitive and winning 7 or so games?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If we’re up and teams need to pass to win, that helps our run defense statistically even if it’s entirely unrelated to how well we stop the run.  This is what our FO is banking on to a large degree.

I get it, we basically made this team a lot like the Colts teams in the early to mid 2000s, hoping you have such a dynamic offense that you're up 10+ points early and teams have to abandon the run altogether. It definitely helped them win a trophy...just like New England effectively neglected their offensive skill positions and said "we have an awesome QB, great OL, HOF TE, and elite defense...let's roll" and won 6 Super Bowls.

Or how Tampa Bay rolled with TB12, a couple nice to great WR, and an elite defense and won a ring.

Or how the LA Rams rolled with a stud QB, single WR, and elite defense and won a ring.

And yeah, the Chiefs have Mahomes and lethal skill guys and won that way too...but look at their defense and they're at least capable of stopping the run.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Just like fashion trends, football too will someday revert back 40 years and be trendy again. When tomorrows Jason Gildon meets Mike Alstott in the hole, I’ll have a smile on a face and a cigar pursed between my lips. 

7k8w3m.jpg

It must be the greatest thing in the world to be that lucky mid to late round draft pick linebacker from AB though. You are guaranteed to steal paychecks for a minimum of three seasons. Cleveland is where I would want to land, that’s for sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It must be the greatest thing in the world to be that lucky mid to late round draft pick linebacker from AB though. You are guaranteed to steal paychecks for a minimum of three seasons. Cleveland is where I would want to land, that’s for sure. 

@Jacob Phillips

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Fair, which is why I didn't go back to pre-2017. And what about last year? The years before?

What about some of those years where we were actually competitive and winning 7 or so games?

I remember this dude on the internet telling me our coaches schemed up defenses that left us a complete gap short in run fits.  So unless that guy is an idiot, I’m gonna put a lot on that scheme.

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I get it, we basically made this team a lot like the Colts teams in the early to mid 2000s, hoping you have such a dynamic offense that you're up 10+ points early and teams have to abandon the run altogether. It definitely helped them win a trophy...just like New England effectively neglected their offensive skill positions and said "we have an awesome QB, great OL, HOF TE, and elite defense...let's roll" and won 6 Super Bowls.

Or how Tampa Bay rolled with TB12, a couple nice to great WR, and an elite defense and won a ring.

Or how the LA Rams rolled with a stud QB, single WR, and elite defense and won a ring.

And yeah, the Chiefs have Mahomes and lethal skill guys and won that way too...but look at their defense and they're at least capable of stopping the run.

All joking aside, we’ve both wanted more of an investment in linebacker for years through what seems like dozens of regimes.  That hasn’t changed.

I do think teams can so just fine with a minimal investment in linebackers in certain schemes (Schwartz’s being one of them) provided the DL talent is good enough.  You can’t have JAGs at DT and LB though, you need to have legit players at one spot or the other.  It’s clear AB and the FO feel DT and scheme was the primary issue and have addressed that.  Cool.  Let’s see where we are and address LB next year.

The only real pushback I have is the idea that some 6th round linebacker would have been the missing piece for this defense and AB boned us for the whole season by passing on dudes at pick 200 something.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I remember this dude on the internet telling me our coaches schemed up defenses that left us a complete gap short in run fits.  So unless that guy is an idiot, I’m gonna put a lot on that scheme.

Scheme was a HUGE part of it for sure, as was our DT situation, EDGE alignment and situation opposite Myles, etc.

All joking aside, we’ve both wanted more of an investment in linebacker for years through what seems like dozens of regimes.  That hasn’t changed.

I do think teams can so just fine with a minimal investment in linebackers in certain schemes (Schwartz’s being one of them) provided the DL talent is good enough.  You can’t have JAGs at DT and LB though, you need to have legit players at one spot or the other.  It’s clear AB and the FO feel DT and scheme was the primary issue and have addressed that.  Cool.  Let’s see where we are and address LB next year.

Let's hope they're right. Conventionally I take issue with building the defense from the secondary up, which is effectively what they've decided to do. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but that's just me. 

The only real pushback I have is the idea that some 6th round linebacker would have been the missing piece for this defense and AB boned us for the whole season by passing on dudes at pick 200 something.

I'm not saying a guy like that will necessarily "save" everything, but at some point, AB literally decided to straight up run it back with Phillips (LOL), Taki (good depth but he's hurt), Walker (coming off an injury), Fields (I like him at WLB to be fair), and JOK (please play him at star Schwartz). We didn't add any new blood to the roster at those positions, so I'll be keeping an extra eye on that group this year.

If DTR, Cameron Mitchell, and Wypler pan out in any capacity, whether it's as a viable #2 QB, rock solid nickel/dime back, and a solid backup C and maybe C of the future, AB take your curtain call.

If not, Pappoe and/or Sewell would have been no brainers who also likely are special teams demons on units that have SUCKED and literally cost us games as well.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Scheme was a HUGE part of it for sure, as was our DT situation, EDGE alignment and situation opposite Myles, etc.

Let's hope they're right. Conventionally I take issue with building the defense from the secondary up, which is effectively what they've decided to do. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but that's just me. 

I don’t see it as back to front so much as outside in.  Find guys who need to win 1:1 on an island be it pass rush or in coverage first and then guys who can be schemed or protect.

I'm not saying a guy like that will necessarily "save" everything, but at some point, AB literally decided to straight up run it back with Phillips (LOL), Taki (good depth but he's hurt), Walker (coming off an injury), Fields (I like him at WLB to be fair), and JOK (please play him at star Schwartz). We didn't add any new blood to the roster at those positions, so I'll be keeping an extra eye on that group this year.

This is fair.  I don’t think we’re done with this group though.  Whether it’s a current FA or a guy who’s cut, I think they’ll look for an upgrade.

If DTR, Cameron Mitchell, and Wypler pan out in any capacity, whether it's as a viable #2 QB, rock solid nickel/dime back, and a solid backup C and maybe C of the future, AB take your curtain call.

If not, Pappoe and/or Sewell would have been no brainers who also likely are special teams demons on units that have SUCKED and literally cost us games as well.

Fwiw I think both the undersized DE and LB we signed as UFA were known to be really good special teamers, as are Adams and Ford.

It’s weird

San Francisco gets so much hype year after year for valuing running the ball and linebackers, but not a single one of those people would pick them over Kansas City.

Hell, I’d take Cinci and Philly over San Fran long term.

Edited by candyman93

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s weird

San Francisco gets so much hype year after year for valuing running the ball and linebackers, but not a single one of those people would pick them over Kansas City.

Hell, I’d take Cinci and Philly over San Fran long term.

They also don’t spend a ton of high picks linebacker.  Neither do any of those other teams.  

Baltimore is just about the only team I can think of that spends first rounders on off ball linebacker with any regularity.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...