Vikings extend RB Dalvin Cook

RaidersAreOne

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He’s not getting substantially paid more than Zeke, Mccaffery and Henry.

You wanna bet?

McCaffrey got over 16 million per in 2020.

Chubb is a FA in 2022, so he will be getting paid 2 years after them. The cap will go down next year, but will go right back up in 2022.

I guarantee you if Chubb stays healthy he’s getting 16 million at least.

Then, Saquon after the Giants use their 5th year option will get paid probably 18 million in 2023.

This whole “he will get 13 million” is wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Chubb is a FA in 2022, so he will be getting paid 2 years after them. The cap will go down next year, but will go right back up in 2022.

So you know how COVID is going to impact the cap?

Thats crazy because not even the players or owners know the answer to that.

Edited by candyman93

Just now, candyman93 said:

So you know how COVID is going to impact the cap?

Thats crazy because not even the players or owners know the answer to that.

Yes, we know it’s going down to I believe 175 million at the lowest this coming offseason. It might go up a bit cause there are now fans at least in some of the stadiums.

Trust and believe the cap will shoot back up by 2022. The NFL will have new tv deals in 2021 for MNF and 2022 for all other networks. This is gonna flood the NFL with money. These will be huge groundbreaking deals.

For all we know Andrew Berry being a smart Ivy League grad and someone with his hands in analytics may not be willing to pay Chubb by 2022 anyways. You may be better off taking another RB on day 2 of the 2021 draft to avoid paying him long term. Then in 2022 you would have Hunt on the last year of his new extension and a new RB to be the future. Just an idea though.

i like watching dalvin so it's good that he'll be a viking for the next few years.

from a team-building perspective though, about the only positive i can get from this signing is that the vikings take care of their own - even running backs - and that makes them an attractive franchise to players.

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Henry is so underpaid(7th highest paid RB lol) and I love it. Good for Cook and the Vikings. RBs are people too!!!

I'm generally in the, don't pay RBs, camp, but Tennessee honestly looks brilliant for getting it done when they did, given how the market has gone since then at the position.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Thank goodness he didn’t wait any longer to sign an extension.  This deal is way better than the massively overpaid contract that Kamara just signed!

Not sure how this doesn’t equally make Dalvin Cook “massively overpaid” as well. I’d easily pay $2.5m/year more for Kamara than Cook, considering he’s had a better bill of health, has been more productive, and has been more efficient by nearly an additional yard/touch. Now if you had sad Mixon’s deal, I would agree considering how durable he’s been along with his ability as a receiver.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I know Dalvin Cook has been great when he plays. 

But a guy with 28 starts and 29 games actually played in a possible 48 regular season games and only 1 season with more than 1k yds from scrimmage (albeit one heck of a season) just isn't worth that to me. 

He's had 1 productive season. Rarely do we see big money deals with huge guarantees get results on the field. 

Bold move by the Vikings. Hope it pays off for them.

My biggest hang up with the deal is Cook simply isn’t reliable. He doesn’t stay healthy and he was considerably less effective down the stretch last year.

4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You wanna bet?

McCaffrey got over 16 million per in 2020.

I guarantee you if Chubb stays healthy he’s getting 16 million at least.

Then, Saquon after the Giants use their 5th year option will get paid probably 18 million in 2023.

This whole “he will get 13 million” is wishful thinking.

I think this assumes too much that the positional pay for a RB won’t stagnate. We saw with many of the non-QB positions how much they stagnated over the years until recently, while the QBs kept eating more and more of the cap space percentage.

I will neither agree or reject your premise, but especially if these RBs don’t perform over the next couple years on these new deals, we could see teams more hesitant to shell out cash.

Again, not saying you’re wrong or that I disagree. Just saying that I think it’s just as good a chance that if any position is going to plateau, even with new money, it will be the RB position over others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think this assumes too much that the positional pay for a RB won’t stagnate. We saw with many of the non-QB positions how much they stagnated over the years until recently, while the QBs kept eating more and more of the cap space percentage.

I will neither agree or reject your premise, but especially if these RBs don’t perform over the next couple years on these new deals, we could see teams more hesitant to shell out cash.

Again, not saying you’re wrong or that I disagree. Just saying that I think it’s just as good a chance that if any position is going to plateau, even with new money, it will be the RB position over others.

That's fair, but Todd Gurley didn't stop these teams from shelling out big $$$. Teams know the risk. They just don't want to risk a valuable player they drafted and think it'll at least be worth it cause they are young enough and have another good 4-5 years left in them before they near 30 and start to hit that decline.

I think the Browns will think the same with Chubb and not that's unwarranted. Dude is a stud. So, if Chubb stays healthy and has a season at all like last year is gonna want AT LEAST 15 to 16 if the Browns try and come to him about an extension a year early.

That's just how I see it. The Browns probably don't bite if that's the case and he goes into the last year (2021) of his deal without an extension and Cleveland sees what to do in the 2022 offseason. They extended Kareem Hunt through the 2022 season, so they have some insurance in their back pocket too.

This all started cause I was responding to @candyman93 saying this deal makes signing Chubb to an extension earlier "easier" and that they he "*might* get 13 million". I just disagree there.

• Like 1