Vikings extend RB Dalvin Cook

RaidersAreOne

I wish the deal length was shorter but I guess I am not surprised. Just gotta hope Cook can stay fit for entire season. Considering Cook's injury history and how Running Backs tend to breakdown, decline more often than other positions, one downside with the deal is if Vikings decide to cut him after 2-3 years due to his injuries or decline, then that's gonna be a ton of dead money. 

Edited by upriser7

Just now, upriser7 said:

I wish the deal length was shorter but I guess I am not surprised. Just gotta hope Cook can stay fit for entire season. One downside being if Vikings decide to cut him after 2-3 years due to his injuries or decline, then that's gonna be a ton of dead money. 

Is it? We haven’t seen how the contract is structured. Most of the guarantees are likely to be paid out in the first 2-3 seasons leaving the prorated signing bonus as the only dead money left. 

My guess:

$15.5M signing bonus
$12.7M salaries over the first 2 year, guaranteed. So maybe $5M in 2021 and $7.7M in 2022
$34.8M salaries over years 3-5, non guaranteed. Something like $9M, $12M, $13.8M
(salary numbers maybe lowered by $1M or so for workout or roster bonuses)

2020: cap hit increases by $3.1M for the prorated signing bonus (now $5.3M)
2021: cap hit $8.1M
2022: cap hit $10.8M, $9.3M dead if released (so all likely to be earned to this point)
2023: cap hit $12.1M, $6.2M dead
2024: cap hit $15.1M, $3.1M dead (unlikely to be earned from this point)
2025: cap hit $13.8M

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

Cook:  “Definitely excited.  Definitely a sigh of relief as far as being excited for being in Minnesota for years. That’s truly a blessing because I love being in this place, I love being in the locker room with the guys around. That was most important to me to being around the guys that love the most.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/12/dalvin-cook-breathes-sigh-of-relief-with-extension-done/

• Like 2

Per a league source, the Saints and running back Alvin Kamara have reached agreement on a five-year, $75 million extension. The deal includes $34.333 million in injury guarantees. Of that amount, more than $30 million is guaranteed for skill, injury, and cap at signing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/12/saints-alvin-kamara-tie-the-knot/

Dalvin is worth what he got. He isn’t just a rb, he’s a value add weapon. 13M year is fair for what he brings.

As far as worrying he’ll break down, it’s a legit concern, but you have to figure the guaranteed money hit will be pretty limited at year 4/5 of the extension. This is likely just a 3 year extension with a 2m retainer.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:19 PM, JDBrocks said:

Because RBs aren’t worth that much. Full stop.

To add to that, it'll be interesting to see what the franchise tags and caps are over the next three years.

While it would surely piss off the RBs, it's possible that teams could have franchise tagged these RBs three years in a row (if that's still allowed, I'm not sure it is, maybe two is max), but franchising RBs 3 years in a row might of been cheaper than some of these RBs contracts.

And that's why they're so long... because teams are losing upfront, and I assuming they're telling themselves they're going to make up for it on the back end of the contract...

But a number of RBs (mostly due to injuries) have failed to live up to their large contracts, making teams regret signing them over the past numbers of years.

And if they do live up to it, I think you can bet on some of them will want a raise before the contract is up.

I'm sure some teams will be regretting these large RBs contracts handed out in the last two years, question is how many and whom.

9 hours ago, Beast said:

To add to that, it'll be interesting to see what the franchise tags and caps are over the next three years.

While it would surely piss off the RBs, it's possible that teams could have franchise tagged these RBs three years in a row (if that's still allowed, I'm not sure it is, maybe two is max), but franchising RBs 3 years in a row might of been cheaper than some of these RBs contracts.

And that's why they're so long... because teams are losing upfront, and I assuming they're telling themselves they're going to make up for it on the back end of the contract...

But a number of RBs (mostly due to injuries) have failed to live up to their large contracts, making teams regret signing them over the past numbers of years.

And if they do live up to it, I think you can bet on some of them will want a raise before the contract is up.

I'm sure some teams will be regretting these large RBs contracts handed out in the last two years, question is how many and whom.

I agree with most of this. The cost of a third franchise tag is too much for a RB but these teams could have had the RBs for the last year of the contract and a couple franchise tags and it might have been cheaper over those three years than what the RB is earning in the next three years. That does mean that the team doesn't have the tag available to use on another player. In the case of the Vikings, it is notable that they traded away a second round pick for a DE and didn't include a no tag clause in the contract. They may also consider using it on one of their other players. 

I agree that some teams will be regretting these large RB contracts. The Jets have already been regretting the contract they gave Bell last year. In addition to how many and whom, another question is how much will they regret it? Will it be a little regret or a major regret? Will it cost the GM his job? The Jets GM (Mike Maccagnan) that signed Bell has already been ousted. The over payment of Bell has been talked about as one of the reasons. The signing of Adam Gase is probably the main stick that stirred that drink.