Rams and WR Cooper Kupp agree to 3 year extension

.Buzz

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure the only games he missed are from when he tore his ACL. @jrry32 can correct me. 

Somewhat. He's been dinged a few times. He has played through it, but the year he tore his ACL, he injured his knee earlier in the year and had to miss a little bit of time before coming back and tearing his ACL later in the season.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

To give you an idea of how old it is, the phrase in question was spoken about ladainian tomlinson

2 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

Wow, appreciate it

LDT on the Chargers, Not Jets LDT. I dont even think this hit song had been released. @swoosh => do you remember?

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is this surprising at all to Rams fans? I thought there was alot of talk from you guys about Jefferson taking his place?

A few people thought that. I always figured he was replacing Robert Woods. Kupp is Goff's favorite target. I didn't see us letting him walk.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is this surprising at all to Rams fans? I thought there was alot of talk from you guys about Jefferson taking his place?

I figured we would keep Kupp. After this deal, Woods won't be happy though. He's under contract for two more years for almost half of what we will be giving Kupp. We will either need to give him a raise this year or next, or a trade to a team that will pay him after this season.

There are another six starters plus Gerald Everett that will be free agents after this year, so I don't see any money for Woods in there

14 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I figured we would keep Kupp. After this deal, Woods won't be happy though. He's under contract for two more years for almost half of what we will be giving Kupp. We will either need to give him a raise this year or next, or a trade to a team that will pay him after this season.

There are another six starters plus Gerald Everett that will be free agents after this year, so I don't see any money for Woods in there

I dont see how you have money for a #1 combo anywhere but apparently the salary cap is fake news

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont see how you have money for a #1 combo anywhere but apparently the salary cap is fake news

We've actually always been in good shape for future years - probably bc of what I mentioned above: 6/22 starters are free agents. Then you have some that have contracts: Goff, Kupp, Woods, Havenstein, Ramsey, AD, Brockers, A'Shawn Robinson.

And then guys on rookie deals: Corbett, Noteboom, Akers/Henderson, Kiser, Howard, Rapp

And then guys who are waiting to start: Edwards and Evans (OL), Jefferson, Lewis (EDGE), Obo (EDGE), Long (CB), Burgess (S)

So while it feels like the Rams have given out all these crazy contracts, in reality, after this year we only have 8 guys who aren't on rookie or cheap deals - and even with that, Brockers, A'Shawn and Havenstein could all be cap casualties (technically Whitworth is under contract beyond this year but that was likely just for cap manipulation).

Now, of that group of rookie contracts above, the question marks will be ILB, EDGE, and OL. Edwards, Evans and Lewis feel like potential hits right now. Which means we will need to take whatever cap we have and hopefully invest in a pass rusher, ILB and then hope our OL is solid - then use the draft to add depth/future replacements, namely CB, EDGE and WR

This was longer than I intended it to be, but basically the Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league again and have a ton of guys on rookie deals

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The cap doesn't work the way it used to work. It's much less concrete. Because money rolls over infinitely, the cap is fluid from year to year. Now, teams are capable of just moving money around from year to year to avoid running into cap issues. Eventually, it catches up with you, and you have to take your medicine. But you can put it off for awhile.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The cap doesn't work the way it used to work. It's much less concrete. Because money rolls over infinitely, the cap is fluid from year to year. Now, teams are capable of just moving money around from year to year to avoid running into cap issues. Eventually, it catches up with you, and you have to take your medicine. But you can put it off for awhile.

The titans did it wrong and so did the Tanne led Jets. Besides that the Saints should be a measuring stick and somewhat the Wiggles. Those teams have been in cap hell forever. 

According to the public the Rams weren’t supposed to have money a few offseasons ago. Not many people want to admit that Snead and company know how to work the cap and structure contracts to put the Rams in great position. I’m glad my guy Kupp got his money. The best receiver in his draft class that the Rams stole in the 3rd round and he has been great for the Rams since day one. He will continue to do great things.