Why are the Eagles so underrated?

TheRealMcCoy

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, but those teams have all been talked about as like top 3-8 teams in the NFL pretty consistently.

We have been talked about as more like average to somewhat above average. 

That is the difference.

The Rams and Vikings are talked about as top 8 NFL teams? The Packers?

The eagles are in my opinion are in that second tier of teams in the NFC, so ranking them anywhere from like 7-14 is right to me. I don't like them as much as Dallas. I don't like them as much as the Saints, 49ers. Definitely not as much as the Ravens or Chiefs. 

They could finish 11-5 or 9-7 and neither would shock me, and that's a pretty wide tier, tbh, so you can just throw a bunch of teams in there and jumble them up however you like .

I don't think the eagles are underrated at all. I think that they are properly rated. 

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

Perhaps, but perception is literally everything when it comes to "underrating" them.

Wentz when healthy is a top 5-7 QB. But perception is that he's not healthy enough, and most people won't give a second's thought to a team starting their backup QB.

Yeah, that's fair. 

I think him going down late in the season in 2017 and 2018 and Foles stepping in and winning in the playoffs made the narrative so much worse.

Then, he got knocked out by helmet to helmet from Clowney when he finally got a chance to play in a playoff game..... lol smh.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The Rams and Vikings are talked about as top 8 NFL teams? The Packers?

No.

Bucs, Saints, 49ers, Cowboys, and Seahawks have though which were more the teams I was referencing.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't like them as much as Dallas.

We are right on par I think.

Better QB, better head coach, better DL, better CB, better safeties, better TEs, better LG, better C, better RT, and better special teams.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Ah thanks for the clarification.

I didn't get that from reading your response.

But, yes we have been pretty bad at receiver and secondary the past couple years.

I'm hoping guys stay healthy so we can have more talent on the outside than we've had in the past.

My bad. No, I like the Eagles. I remember watching Wentz in his rookie year in Seattle and he was so poised even though it sounded like a nuclear explosion all around him. It'll be down to the Eagles vs. Cowboys again for the division.

I live in Minnesota and I watched the 2017 NFC Championship with my Vikes fan lil bro. I told him not to think that they'd just run through the Eagles. Didn't listen.

I forced him to watch it to the end.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I see them just outside the top 10, maybe 11-12 spot. Has little to do with them, more to do with the 10 or so ahead of them.

I don't have a problem with like 11 or 12. Think its still too low if healthy, but it's when I've seen us ranked like 14-16 that is more of the problem.

When we are ranked as like 8th or 9th best in the NFC. I just don't get it.

Just now, Calamity_Cometh said:

It'll be down to the Eagles vs. Cowboys again for the division.

Yep. I would be shocked if the division doesn't come down to the week 16 game in Dallas.

2 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I live in Minnesota and I watched the 2017 NFC Championship with my Vikes fan lil bro. I told him not to think that they'd just run through the Eagles. Didn't listen.

I forced him to watch it to the end.

That's awesome man haha. Honestly I never expected that game would go down how it did. 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yep. I would be shocked if the division doesn't come down to the week 16 game in Dallas.

That's awesome man haha. Honestly I never expected that game would go down how it did. 

I forced him to finish the prior Saints game. If I hadn't, he would have missed the goddamned miracle. Buys a shirt the next day.

He's the reason that I have even watched so many Eagles games. Vick is his favorite player. He owns a Philly Vick jersey. Wtf?

• Like 1

For real though - you all know my real opinion. I told you all in the philly forum 2 years ago, your team is to old which leads to injuries. Injuries have plagued your franchise. Its not that the eagles arent talented. They are very talented. But they are already down their LT and #1 WR and we havent even started the season.

Maybe an infusion of younger players and a new strength coach (didnt you just get a new one?). 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Great roster, limited by their QB. Once they switch to Hurts around game 10, they should be primed for a deep playoff run. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13277502

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

For real though - you all know my real opinion. I told you all in the philly forum 2 years ago, your team is to old which leads to injuries. Injuries have plagued your franchise. Its not that the eagles arent talented. They are very talented. But they are already down their LT and #1 WR and we havent even started the season.

Maybe an infusion of younger players and a new strength coach (didnt you just get a new one?). 

Yeah, we brought in a whole new medical staff and the Rams strength & conditioning guy.

Jeffery isn't our WR1. It's DeSean. Jeffery would be the X I guess, but he's probably strictly a slower possession guy now.

Peters is better at LT than Dillard entering this season, but Dillard being out hurts our depth and counting on Peters to stay healthy is a stretch.

Brooks injury was random... happened just doing sprints and Dillard injured his bicep trying to stop a bull rush in practice I think. Bad luck.

We'll have to see how they manage the injuries throughout the season. We already have Javon Hargrave out with a pec. Miles Sanders and Derek Barnett out week 1 with hamstrings and Lane Johnson questionable with an ankle. 

But, yeah.... health is the one area that could be our downfall. A G A I N.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think Philly is the toughest team in that division mentally and physically. It’s why they win playoff games too.

However, as Matt’s said, they’re an old and injured team. That’s just who they are.

Thank you for pointing out the first part!

As far as the second part we aren't quite as old as we've been.

In 2019 we ranked 31st as far as average age.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2019-edition/

This year we rank 19th.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/

With that said, it's also cause of the influx of rookies (a lot made our roster) and probably not many will get playing time.

Not sure where are average age for starters would rank.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Duluther said:
1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Fair enough, but I think its a little over blown. He's played 16 games in 2 of his 4 seasons and played 11 and 13 in the other 2 seasons.

Perhaps, but perception is literally everything when it comes to "underrating" them.

Wentz when healthy is a top 5-7 QB. But perception is that he's not healthy enough, and most people won't give a second's thought to a team starting their backup QB.

Games missed is a little misleading. Wentz was hurt off and on his entire rookie season. And since his ACL, Wentz dropped from a surefire top 5 to a questionable top 10 QB. He doesnt play the same since 2017. He throws a *TON* of short passes. Most passes 5 or less yards in the entire NFL in 2018. 

If he ever returns to 2017, the team would be much more intimidating, imo. The ability is there - I personally think its a combination of trusting his body + having good chemistry/talent at the WR position. Its no secret that the WRs havent been good. Its also no secret that he has had a toxic relationship with at least Alshon. 

52 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Better QB,

*according to this forum. Not according to *EVERY SINGLE* major publication excluding CBS. Including the Eagles publication, Bleeding Green. 

If you want to not sound like a homer, at least call them equal. Though NFL.com, NFL top 100, ESPN, Fox, PFF, FO, BGN, ect all say Dak is better.

better head coach, better DL, better CB, better safeties,

First 2 yes. Next 2 are a closer to equal than a clear advantage.

better TEs, better LG, better C, better RT, and better special teams.

Our OL is better than yours this year. Collins was better than Johnson last year. Our entire special teams is brand new this year, so how could you possibly know?? As for a retort:

QB equalish/slight lean Dal

RB Dal

WR Dal

OL Dal

Front 7 equalish/slight lean Dal

Secondary  equalish/slight lean Eagles

Coaching Eagles until proven different.