2020 Stat Watch

Pastor Dillon

I like to keep up with where our guys rank each week

after week 1, Fuller has a chance to lead the league in receiving yards this year. 
8 catches 112 yards in week one would project out to 128 catches 1,792 yards. Now I don’t anticipate that but man fullers stats week 1 seemed to come really easy when we weren’t playing good at all. Dude could be in for a monster season and then getting paid in the off season. We are really gonna need Coulter and Coutee to develop because fuller is potentially gonna make so much that cookers, stills and Cobb have to go. 

davis Johnson seemed to live up to the hype of training camp. Just 77 yards rushing but we couldn’t really establish a run game when the time of possession and score were getting out of control. Still he had a 7 yard average. Also chipped in 32 receiving yards. Projects out to 1,232 rushing and. 512 receiving with 16 TDs. Those are easily pro bowl numbers. 

jamie Martin on pace for 16 sacks, unlikely, but he could get into the 8-10 range. We need something because the pass rush was non existent. 

watsons late surge puts him on a season pace of 4,048 yards. He wasn’t top notch but he wasn’t too bad. Missed on some throws but his INT was more on his line than him. Those guys were terrible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We end week 1 with the 18th ranked defense 

9th in pass defense

Had you told me that we'd come off a game against KC and have the 9th best defense, I'd say we had a resounding win...

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

30th in run defense 

... but this sort of negates that.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:12 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

after week 1, Fuller has a chance to lead the league in receiving yards this year. 
8 catches 112 yards in week one would project out to 128 catches 1,792 yards. Now I don’t anticipate that but man fullers stats week 1 seemed to come really easy when we weren’t playing good at all. Dude could be in for a monster season and then getting paid in the off season. We are really gonna need Coulter and Coutee to develop because fuller is potentially gonna make so much that cookers, stills and Cobb have to go. 

watsons late surge puts him on a season pace of 4,048 yards. He wasn’t top notch but he wasn’t too bad. Missed on some throws but his INT was more on his line than him. Those guys were terrible. 

Fuller was everywhere vs KC and he wasn't just a deep threat. I liked how he looked, he also looked jacked asf, dude has been working on getting stronger. I really hope he can play the full 16 or that Cushing has a ready supply of that HGH....

Also that Watson int, I'm seeing a lot of criticism on social media for it, clearly it was a blown block by Fells and we probably would have seen a TD from it, can't know until the all-22 is out but Watson, all game, had been trying his best to not force an INT, don't know why he'd throw if he knew it wasn't there then, the Mathieu pulling his hand was the thing that sealed the game. OL needs improvement pronto.

Player grades are out for week 1. 

Tunsil had an 82.7 with zero penalties and zero sacks allowed. Worth every penny
Scharping 60.7 with zero penalties and zero sacks allowed
Martin 67.1 with zero penalties and 1 sack allowed
Fulton 76.4 with zero penalties and 1 sack allowed.......I don't know how they scored him that well, he seemed to suck, must have been dominate in the run game
Howard 68.4 with  penalty and 0 sacks allowed

I dont know how PFF does its grading, and I dont pay for the premium service, but if you just look at that, it doesnt look real bad for our line. 

Others on offense:

Watson 71.9
Fuller 73.5
Cooks 68.5
Cobb 56
Stills 38.5
David Johnson 75.2
Akins 73.2 
Fells 71.8

I assume those TEs and RBs dont get knocked for allowing sacks

On the other side of the ball, we see a problem:

Lonnie Johnson didnt seem like he played at all in the first half, but graded at 50.5, which is terrible but a remarkable improvement on last year
Roby 52.4
Hargreaves 39.6
John reid 56.5

Its pretty bad when your rookie dime corner is your highest rated CB

Safety wasnt much better
Justin Reid 63.2
Murray 70.9....easily the biggest bright spot in the secondary, and he was pretty dim
Moore 60.6

We easily have the worst secondary in football

The linebackers played surprisingly bad though
Cunningham 26.9.........thats not a misprint. He basically had the worst game an inside linebacker can possibility have, and we all saw it and his grade reflects it
Mckinney 42.7
Mercilus 49.6....honestly forgot he was on the roster still
Martin 69.2......he got our only sack, and still didnt hit 70
Scarlett 59.1

We let go of Reader because we thought we were set on the line....we should have invested in him

Watt 58.9....he was nothing all game, made a few stops in the run game and thats it
PJ Hall scored a 85.7 and was the 4th highest rated d-linemen of week 1. He was a great pick up for us, and hopefully develops. 
Dunn 46.1
Watkins 48.6
Omenihu 52.8

again, i dont want to read too much into PFF ratings, but they seem to match the eye test

I’ll do a bigger write up when week 2 is finished but I’d just like to point out 2 crazy things:

1. We have forced 0 turn overs this season 

2. we have the 3rd ranked pass defense and the 31st ranked rush defense 

before we say, well it’s because teams can run on us, keep in mind that we managed to rank 29th in pass defense and 25th In rush defense last season. 

as a team you would rather rank high in pass defense and low in rush defense, if you had to choose, because it typically means less yards. 

The effort was there on defense yesterday and the offense just couldn’t get it done. Keep in mind they scored 7 on a fumble return. They scored 7 on a 34 yard drive from a stupid 4th down call. The. We gave up 187 yards and 14 points in the 4th quarter when the D was gassed because the offense couldn’t do anything with the ball. You have to control the ball against a great team like the ravens. 

At halftime we had them held to like 50 yards rushing and were still down 10 because of turnovers. We could easily have been winning if not for that fumble and an amazing pick by the ravens. 

we had timely penalties that stalled at least 2 drives and we had missed tackles that lead to points for the ravens. 

we are still in pre season mode and that better end in a hurry. 

• Like 1

Looking at some of the PFF grades after week 2, and keep  in mind these are for BOTH weeks, not a week 2 score:

Most of our linemen have dropped, including Tunsil

Tunsil 80.5
Howard 59.2
Scharping 51.5
Martin 68.8
Fulton 64.5
Kelemete (he played a lot so ill add him) 56.6

terrible

Watson slightly improved to 72.3
Johnson comes in at 67.4
Fuller 65.4
Cooks 79.7
Akins 73.2
For fun I looked up Coutee 45.2

So all bad numbers, hopkins by the way is sitting at 80.3

Our defensive line struggled in the 4th quarter, but were solid for the first 3 quarters yesterday
Watt 60.8
Dunn 54.1
Blacklock 30.4
Omenihu 45.6
Hall 72.8
Watkins 36.3

I will say i found it interesting that we were subbing in all 6 guys along the front. We were clearly at our best with Hall in the middle and Watt and wither Dunn or Omenihu on the other side DJ Reader is sitting at 69.5 with the Bengals, surprisingly Hall has outperformed him 

Linebackers really struggled Sunday
Cunningham 28.9 ranks him 73 of 76
Mckinney 45.8 
Mercilus 42.5 ranking him 102 of 105 edge rushers.....clearly our two guys with new extensions are not living up to them
Martin 70.9 hes been one of the few bright spots on defense, dude can rush the passer pretty well
Scarlett 35.6 which ranks him 105 of 105 in edge rushers

The secondary is posting a top 5 pass defense, not because they are good but because we cant stop the run

Phillip Gaines played a ton of snaps yesterday and hes at a respectable 71.2
Roby 54.8
Lonnie 46.3...hate to call a guy a bust so early but hes been so terrible
Hargreaves 51.2
We need Conley to come back healthy at some point

Eric Murray 58.3
Justin Reid 74 which ranks him as the 8th best safety in the league out of 76. He is gonna be looking to get paid sometime next off season 

team rankings 

24th Offense
16th Pass
30th Rush
29th scoring

20th Defense
3rd Pass
31st Run
28th Scoring

obviously really poor all the way around and you would expect that team to win 3-5 games this season. We are obviously dead last in turnovers because we haven't forced any this season. 

on the individual front:

Watson 12th in passing, 20th in QBR
Johnson 26th in rushing
Cooks 40th in receiving
Fuller 42nd in receiving 

Watt 3rd in sacks
Cunningham 7th in total tackles

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

24th Offense
16th Pass
30th Rush
29th scoring

Absolutely unacceptable for an offensive minded HC, with a franchise QB with two 1st round picks at WR, two first round picks at OT and two 2nd round picks on the IOL.

It's frustrating because it's not even a bad secret anymore, the entire Football watching world knows Bill O'Brien is a bad Head Coach and GM. Literally the only two people who believe otherwise are Cal and Easterby - the two people who are making this decision.

I sincerely hope a major vendor pulls out because of BoB's incompetencies. If BHP Billiton pulled their sponsorship money because BoB was horrible, I would be overjoyed - Cal would have to fire him at that point. (Odds of a major sponsor pulling out are probably 1,000,000,000,000 to 1, if we're being honest).

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Absolutely unacceptable for an offensive minded HC, with a franchise QB with two 1st round picks at WR, two first round picks at OT and two 2nd round picks on the IOL.

It's frustrating because it's not even a bad secret anymore, the entire Football watching world knows Bill O'Brien is a bad Head Coach and GM. Literally the only two people who believe otherwise are Cal and Easterby - the two people who are making this decision.

I sincerely hope a major vendor pulls out because of BoB's incompetencies. If BHP Billiton pulled their sponsorship money because BoB was horrible, I would be overjoyed - Cal would have to fire him at that point. (Odds of a major sponsor pulling out are probably 1,000,000,000,000 to 1, if we're being honest).

It must be a matter of we were so bad for so long that being a playoff team every year is enough to keep them happy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Isn’t that insane?

I could see our defense getting better though when Conley comes back and we sign Thomas 

Welp, so much for Thomas.

Kirk Cousins is a significant step down from our usual lineup of Mahomes, Jackson and Roethlensberger - so maybe this week?