Who From 2016 Is Missed The Most?

NFL Network

13 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

I dug out the stats comparison b/t Gilleslee & Blount for 2017 through 4 games and it's not even close. Blount has more yards on fewer carries, fewer carries per game. The only category Gilleslee is better is TD's but that's it.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Comparing two guys behind two different lines in two different schemes in different situations over a small sample

tumblr_o6cjf5iLad1tq4of6o1_500.gif

2 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Would you really say "banked heavily"? He was a chronic underachiever that they gave up little for and then drafted two edge guys after adding him. 

I would simply because he was the only veteran that they went out and nabbed. I understand they invested in the position via the draft, but I think they wanted him to be that veteran stop gap. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I would simply because he was the only veteran that they went out and nabbed. I understand they invested in the position via the draft, but I think they wanted him to be that veteran stop gap. 

Perhaps, but a lot of those veteran stopgap types never contribute with the team and that's been the case for 17 years.

I'd say they hoped he would contribute but I can't imagine they'd ever really count on a fringe guy like Ealy being an important contributor 

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

Perhaps, but a lot of those veteran stopgap types never contribute with the team and that's been the case for 17 years.

I'd say they hoped he would contribute but I can't imagine they'd ever really count on a fringe guy like Ealy being an important contributor 

Fair enough, I just wish they had done more in the mold of bringing in vets. Its possible they didn't want to invest money there and instead put those resources in High and Gilmore. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Fair enough, I just wish they had done more in the mold of bringing in vets. Its possible they didn't want to invest money there and instead put those resources in High and Gilmore. 

I was surprised they didn't add another low end veteran or two (think Trevor Scott type from a few years ago). Maybe they planned more 3 man fronts from the get go or maybe they thought McClellin could be an edge guy too. I can't imagine that Ninkovich's retirement caught them totally by surprise either

16 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

I can't imagine that Ninkovich's retirement caught them totally by surprise either

Same, the fact they didnt really make a corresponding move to add a new vet when he did officially retire would seem to suggest they felt "prepared" for it

On 10/2/2017 at 6:17 PM, NFL Network said:

The Patriots would of given anything to have a RB have a day that Blount had yesterday against the Chargers. I really don't think too highly of Giselle as I'd rather hammer Blount in short yardage situations. Also Giselle can't handle the amount of carries than what the Pats gave Blount last year.

As far as Logan Ryan goes he's not getting as overpaid as Stephon Gilmour who shouldn't of been signed. I would of rather bring in Joe Haden in August than Gilmour.

Mike is a better player than Blount and gilmore is just flat out more talented than Ryan. Yea he's overpaid but give me the upside.

2 hours ago, NFL Network said:

So does anyone still not miss Marty Bennett considering how useless Dwayne Allen is lol! Now that Gronk is hurt again it appears letting Marty walk for less money than Dwayne Allen was one of the dumbest moves ever. 

That's not actually how the events played out in the offseason.

31 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:
3 hours ago, NFL Network said:

So does anyone still not miss Marty Bennett considering how useless Dwayne Allen is lol! Now that Gronk is hurt again it appears letting Marty walk for less money than Dwayne Allen was one of the dumbest moves ever. 

That's not actually how the events played out in the offseason.

Yea not at all. The Patriots focus was on Donta while Marty was walking out the door. Who would you rather have right now? Hightower or Bennett? 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Yea not at all. The Patriots focus was on Donta while Marty was walking out the door. Who would you rather have right now? Hightower or Bennett? 

The Pats and Bennett seemed to think his value was going to be higher than it ended up being. He priced himself out of their range before free agency even started. So the Pats were left with three choices:

- Wait and see how Bennett's market materialized

- Overpay Bennett before he hit the market, if he were even willing to sign before checking out other offers

- Pick up a viable alternative who was presumed to be significantly less expensive, with the idea of re-allocating the savings to Hightower and/or others.

The option they took was the only sensible plan. I wanted Bennett back. But he wanted to get paid and I can't fault the Pats for not wanting to wait around and get caught without a quality #2 TE.

3 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

The Pats and Bennett seemed to think his value was going to be higher than it ended up being. He priced himself out of their range before free agency even started. So the Pats were left with three choices:

- Wait and see how Bennett's market materialized

- Overpay Bennett before he hit the market, if he were even willing to sign before checking out other offers

- Pick up a viable alternative who was presumed to be significantly less expensive, with the idea of re-allocating the savings to Hightower and/or others.

The option they took was the only sensible plan. I wanted Bennett back. But he wanted to get paid and I can't fault the Pats for not wanting to wait around and get caught without a quality #2 TE.

I would of just let Marty hit the market and see what he does and if he signs elsewhere then you can still ask the Colts if Dwayne Allen is still available if they liked him that badly. I think they put too much stock in Allen at the time who was considered an underachiever for the Colts and now with the Pats he's beyond an underachiever b/c he's yet to achieve anything.

20 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

I would of just let Marty hit the market and see what he does and if he signs elsewhere then you can still ask the Colts if Dwayne Allen is still available if they liked him that badly. I think they put too much stock in Allen at the time who was considered an underachiever for the Colts and now with the Pats he's beyond an underachiever b/c he's yet to achieve anything.

And if Allen weren't available and Bennett signed elsewhere? What's your backup plan? 

10 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Anderson, Carter, Waters, Crumpler, Warren, Bodden, Hicks, Long, Branch(?)

There's been plenty of stop gap players that have contributed big roles. 

I think they made a mistake going so light into the season at DE, but I don't think anyone expected Ealy to flame out so badly.

Well some of those guys you mention weren't off-season pickups (Hicks, Branch). Some of the others (Waters, Bodden) were brought in with the expectation that they'd be quality starters. 

Carter and Long are good examples of guys who worked out well. But for every one that does, you have a handful that didn't.

Warren and Crumpler weren't any good though. They made the team, sure, but contributed easily replaceable levels of play.

Anderson was ok but my lasting memory of him is getting benched in SB46 for being such a liability in the run game. 

On 10/6/2017 at 6:39 PM, mcmurtry86 said:

And if Allen weren't available and Bennett signed elsewhere? What's your backup plan? 

I'd just bite the bullet and live with a Jacob Hollister or even keep Matt Lengel b/c they are both no worse than Dwayne Allen and way cheaper.

Archived