Jump to content
BullsandBroncos

WEEK 1 GAMEDAY THREAD- MNF vs. Titans

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I certainly wasn’t crying out for him to be fired, I don’t think he did that bad of a job and was kinda shocked when they pulled the trigger. Having said that, I don’t think Shurmur is really a downgrade. So it’s kinda fine in my book. 

Yeah, I just kinda think it was unnecessary to make the move though Shurmer is fine. It just forces a 2nd year QB into yet another system to learn instead of just letting Scangs/Lock grow with eachother even if it takes a year or two to get going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah, I just kinda think it was unnecessary to make the move though Shurmer is fine. It just forces a 2nd year QB into yet another system to learn instead of just letting Scangs/Lock grow with eachother even if it takes a year or two to get going. 

I'm actually more ok with the switch to Shurmer, mostly because I think he'll ultimately be able to provide better continuity long term. Scangs, if he did well, would almost definitely be poached for a HC gig, whereas Shurmer has multiple failed HC jobs that I doubt he would get another shot any time soon. It's been YEARS since Lock has had a consistent offensive coordinator which gives me hope he can pick up a new offense relatively quickly but I would love to see what he can do with some level of comfort before a brand new year. Thus far through college and NFL he has been getting the Alex Smith treatment which doesn't set up anyone for success. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broncos fans really are a fickle bunch. There's a tweet from Mike Klis today saying that Garrett Bolles will wear an elbow brace against the Steelers and under if you've got a bunch of fans going off in the comments "Pay the man" "Get his contract signed" sort of stuff. All basically because he played one really good game on MNF and didn't get penalised. Now, no one will be happier for Garrett Bolles than I will if he has a great season and we pay him to be our long term Left Tackle, BUT people on twitter shouldn't be overreacting to this one game. You just know it's the exact same guys who were upset that we didn't sign or draft an OT in the offseason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Broncos fans really are a fickle bunch. There's a tweet from Mike Klis today saying that Garrett Bolles will wear an elbow brace against the Steelers and under if you've got a bunch of fans going off in the comments "Pay the man" "Get his contract signed" sort of stuff. All basically because he played one really good game on MNF and didn't get penalised. Now, no one will be happier for Garrett Bolles than I will if he has a great season and we pay him to be our long term Left Tackle, BUT people on twitter shouldn't be overreacting to this one game. You just know it's the exact same guys who were upset that we didn't sign or draft an OT in the offseason.

They'd better get after it, his price is only going up.

That was not just "one good game". He had about 5 of those to end last year. This was a stellar LT performance. He's really turned a corner under Munchak/Kuper. He made it look incredibly easy. I've only seen about 1/3rd of the offensive snaps but those I saw he was dominant.

He should be lots of fun to watch this year. I'm pretty excited about our OL as a whole except RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying pay Bolles but if he keeps up the play from last night, at least maybe give him a shorter extension. 3 years or something. He starts with the same old crap at any point, we replace him. And Jawuan James while we are at it.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'm not saying pay Bolles but if he keeps up the play from last night, at least maybe give him a shorter extension. 3 years or something. He starts with the same old crap at any point, we replace him. And Jawuan James while we are at it.

But he won't take that, because someone will give him a 5 year extension.

It's always the way with late developing players. You can get 3 years of dross, then all of a sudden the light bulb comes on. It's high risk to sign long term because it could just be a flash in the pan, but at least 1 of 32 teams will be willing to risk the big, long term deal.

Bolles, if he does turn the corner (I am not there yet) has us over a barrel. He knows our struggles at Tackle and even a mediocre veteran Tackle in the NFL is a massive commodity.

He ain't giving us any discount, especially with him being booed by fans consistently.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But he won't take that, because someone will give him a 5 year extension.

It's always the way with late developing players. You can get 3 years of dross, then all of a sudden the light bulb comes on. It's high risk to sign long term because it could just be a flash in the pan, but at least 1 of 32 teams will be willing to risk the big, long term deal.

Bolles, if he does turn the corner (I am not there yet) has us over a barrel. He knows our struggles at Tackle and even a mediocre veteran Tackle in the NFL is a massive commodity.

He ain't giving us any discount, especially with him being booed by fans consistently.

Agreed, even an average to mediocre LT will get a huge contract in free agency because starting LTs are some of the hardest positions to find in the NFL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Agreed, even an average to mediocre LT will get a huge contract in free agency because starting LTs are some of the hardest positions to find in the NFL 

We did win a Super Bowl with Ryan Harris at LT.  I just want to throw that out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But he won't take that, because someone will give him a 5 year extension.

It's always the way with late developing players. You can get 3 years of dross, then all of a sudden the light bulb comes on. It's high risk to sign long term because it could just be a flash in the pan, but at least 1 of 32 teams will be willing to risk the big, long term deal.

Bolles, if he does turn the corner (I am not there yet) has us over a barrel. He knows our struggles at Tackle and even a mediocre veteran Tackle in the NFL is a massive commodity.

He ain't giving us any discount, especially with him being booed by fans consistently.

The LT from Detroit, nothing special signed a 4yr, $60mil contract this year with $42 guaranteed. I think we can look at that as a starting point.

Big difference though, the Lions didn't let him hit FA. If Bolles continues his play of late he'll end up as the highest paid LT in the league in FA. You're right lomax, somene will pay him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...