Week 1: Miami Dolphins @ New England Patriots

TheKillerNacho

Impressed with the Oline tbh. 4 out 5 new starters, no pre-season games, 2 rookies and yet they looked better than anything we've put out there the past 3-4 years. Really impressed with Austin Jackson. For a guy that was touted as a project, he has looked sharp out of the gate. 

3 INT killed us but overall still not super upset with the loss. At least we look like a football team, more than what we could say after week 1 last season. Still a long way to go before we are competing for a playoff spot tho. Baby steps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

The OL didn’t suck! That alone is reason for celebration.

13 hours ago, Emerica said:

Impressed with the Oline tbh. 4 out 5 new starters, no pre-season games, 2 rookies and yet they looked better than anything we've put out there the past 3-4 years. Really impressed with Austin Jackson. For a guy that was touted as a project, he has looked sharp out of the gate. 

I definitely agree with you guys on the OL.  The Pats don't have a great DL, but that was still easily the best I've seen Miami pass protect in years.  They were even ok in the run game.  Not great there, but not bad.  We can safely say that the OL wasn't really a reason why the Fins lost this game, which is a huge step in the right direction.  

13 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

We could really use an enforcing ILB.

We just need more talent at the position.  Elandon Roberts was horribly exposed yesterday.  Baker is a terrific athlete and can make some plays, but his lack of insticts definitely showed up yesterday a few times as well.  Micah Parsons would look awfully good on this team.  

• Like 1

My thoughts on the game:

1.  Again, the OL was really impressive yesterday.  Fitz had tons of time to throw yesterday, which is the first time a Miami QB has had that for years.  

2.  Hated the playcalling.  Seemed way more vanilla than was necessary, but I suppose some of it may have been to help out the young OL.  

3.  We got Fitztragic yesterday.  He simply wasn't good all game.  Another game or two like that, and I think Tua gets his shot.  

4.  There is the Christian Wilkins that we drafted as a 1st rounder.  He was a force yesterday.  

5.  As I said above, the LB play was terrible.  

6.  The DL play outside of Wilkins was terrible.  Ogbah and Lawson did nothing to deserve the money they got this offseason.  

7.  Perry got worked a few times in coverage, but overall the secondary played well.  Brandon Jones had some nice plays, I thought.  

8.  Gaskin got a surprising amount of PT, given the presence of Breida on this team.  Howard looked pretty sluggish.  He may be relegated to goalline duties.  

• Like 1

Overall I liked the potential of what I saw. OL. I am not worried about our DL (yet) with no preseason no real Patriot tape to watch with this new system it doesn't shock me there was confusion.  Without the turnovers this was a winnable game, that is always the underside of the Fitzmagic coin. 

Gaskins looked much better than Howard. Though Howard supposedly suffered a hamstring injury... but why bring him back in for the one goal line carry then. I imagine both Gaskins and Howard will end up competing for the 1 spot. 

The most disappointing thing, don't tell me we are going to be dealing with an injured Devonte Parker all season yet again. 

I just wish Miami could have played 1 game before playing the Patriots and also it would have been nice to have one game tape of Newton in action with the Pats but it is what it is. This team is in a lot better starting point this season then last season. I like Fitzpatrick but I give him 5 weeks through the 49ers game and if Miami is under .500 at that point and the O-line is looking strong I would say turn it over to Tua and see what he's got if he is healthy.

• Like 1