Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You're wasting a lot of talent in Jenkins if you move him to C. If Jenkins makes a permanent move, it'll be to RT. 

I agree that I wouldn't be the biggest fan, as Jenkins should be able to do more than just Center, but they also seem to be big on making the interior good.

As they drafted Jenkins after signing Turner, whom they seemed to believe was Bulaga future replacement. And drafted Runyan for OG and placed him at LG, so they thought Jenkins was potential moving and thought they had Turner and Wagner at RT. The only thing that makes sense to me, is they penciled in Jenkins to Center. I guess the next option was they knew Jenkins would be a swing man, or possible LT should Bak gotten injured, which is possible too and have Runyan ready for LG should that happened.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I agree that I wouldn't be the biggest fan, as Jenkins should be able to do more than just Center, but they also seem to be big on making the interior good.

As they drafted Jenkins after signing Turner, whom they seemed to believe was Bulaga future replacement. And drafted Runyan for OG and placed him at LG, so they thought Jenkins was potential moving and thought they had Turner and Wagner at RT. The only thing that makes sense to me, is they penciled in Jenkins to Center. I guess the next option was they knew Jenkins would be a swing man, or possible LT should Bak gotten injured, which is possible too and have Runyan ready for LG should that happened.

Sorry man, my posts LG/RG for Runyan were all messed up.

Regarding Turner, I don't know about the future with him.  I think he can play LG.  Not sold on him as a tackle.  I can't see him being good with more space around him.

Jenkins can play every spot and play it at a very high level.  Not sure putting him at center is a wise move.  We haven't really pulled a center since Flanagan was here.  Center may be the last place I'd put him.

Patrick can probably play in there if he had to.  And I think you can draft a center almost anywhere in the draft.  Look for an anchor, look for smarts and movement is a plus.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Who was at RG when Runyon went in? You listed both he and He kind at LG. But yeah Jenkins and Runyan are the future of this OL, I'm not quite sure about the rest (other than trying to keep Bak around of course).

Yes, I'm trying to understand why they kept Burks and Summers on the 53, while releasing Barnes, if Barnes is the better player who's going to get more snaps on defense.

Interesting they didn't go after King more, compared to Alexander.

It because it’s clear Kirk only trust Thielen. He much rather go after the best corner because he only trust Thielen.

But you know Jefferson was going to be the piece Rodgers needed to win a super bowl... yet on a Viking team that NEEDS a second WR he couldn’t get many looks from his QB.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

It because it’s clear Kirk only trust Thielen. He much rather go after the best corner because he only trust Thielen.

But you know Jefferson was going to be the piece Rodgers needed to win a super bowl... yet on a Viking team that NEEDS a second WR he couldn’t get many looks from his QB.

Jefferson looked pretty lost and/or confused out there.  He looked like a wide-eyed rookie.

Watched Ceedee Lamb last night.  He glided around the field and looked like he understood everything.

But...if you are a Viking fan, Jefferson already looks great compared to the bar Treadwell set for first round WR's in Minnesota.

26 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Krys Barnes played 15 snaps yesterday... I would've guessed like 35 with how much stuff he was in on. Martin-Barnes-Bolton could be a nice little trio of young guys 

Boy has he been a find...

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Turner, I don't know about the future with him.  I think he can play LG.  Not sold on him as a tackle.  I can't see him being good with more space around him.

Jenkins can play every spot and play it at a very high level.  Not sure putting him at center is a wise move.  We haven't really pulled a center since Flanagan was here.  Center may be the last place I'd put him.

Patrick can probably play in there if he had to.  And I think you can draft a center almost anywhere in the draft.  Look for an anchor, look for smarts and movement is a plus.

Jenkins is an elite Guard all day, he can play Tackle and play it well, but bear in mind we drafted Jake Hanson who is probably going to be the heir apparent at Center. Linsley's done in GB after his contract is up IMHO. Patrick is definitely a Guard only, but can play Center well in a pinch as we saw against Detroit last year. 

I'm starting to think management is souring on Turner nevermind the injury. I think they see him as a Tackle in emergency only despite the quality performance he had the last year in Denver. Still, I think we paid too much for a back-up OL in him and it shouldn't surprise me if his contract is restructured after the season is over. Let's be honest, we drafted 2 Guards and a Center in this past draft for a reason despite when they were chosen...

On that note: How are we feeling about Runyan? I thought he was pretty decent yesterday. 

• Like 1

Snap counts in a more readable format:

Running Backs: Aaron Jones [42], Jamaal Williams [31], Tyler Ervin [14], AJ Dillon [5]

Wide Receivers: Davante Adams [70], Allen Lazard [68], Marquez Valdes-Scantling [42], Malik Taylor [1]

Tight Ends: Robert Tonyan [48], Marcedes Lewis [32], Josiah Deguara [24], Jace Sternberger [12], John Lovett [1]

Offensive Line: David Bakhtiari [78], Elgton Jenkins [78], Corey Linsley [78], Lane Taylor [63], Rick Wagner [46], Lucas Patrick [32], Jon Runyan [15]

Defensive Line: Dean Lowry [39], Kingsley Keke [29], Tyler Lancaster [23], Kenny Clark [15]

Outside Linebackers: Za’Darius Smith [43], Preston Smith [43], Rashan Gary [32], Tipa Galeai [9], Jonathan Garvin [6]

Inside Linebackers: Christian Kirksey [52], Krys Barnes [15], Oren Burks [3]

Safeties: Adrian Amos [52], Darnell Savage [46], Will Redmond [24], Vernon Scott [3]

Cornerbacks: Kevin King [51], Jaire Alexander [49], Chandon Sullivan [36], Josh Jackson [2]

SPECIAL TEAMS LEADERS: Ty Summers [19], Redmond [18], Burks [18], Lovett [14], Malik Taylor [14], Sternberger [13]

=====================================

My take on the snap counts:

• It's clear Malik Taylor was a game day active because of his ST work but is he ahead of EQ as a WR? That is yet to be determined.
  • By all accounts it was said Lancaster took over Clark snaps yet it appears Keke ended up with the most snaps of the two.
  • I was a little surprised to see Galeai get quite a few snaps on defence. I expected him to only do ST. He wasn't even a special team leader in snaps but its possible he reached 12 but didn't make the list.
  • This is the biggest surprise of the lot. Barnes getting defensive snaps ahead of Burks AND Summers. WTF was he cut in the first place then? The only explanation I can think of is that Burks and Summers are very important players on ST and we did not want to risk losing them on waivers had we cut them. Also we needed to keep Martin on the 53 before putting on IR. We basically did this manoeuvre knowing Barnes was highly unlikely to be claimed. Risky but ultimately worked out.
  • Josh Jackson only had two snaps which is much less than I anticipated considering his camp reports but as a result I expected him to compensate with more work on ST.  Unfortunately for him we barely punted so he probably didn't have much work to do.
  • Redmond was a busy man on Sunday. He's clearly our Jarrett Bush.
Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

Krys Barnes played 15 snaps yesterday... I would've guessed like 35 with how much stuff he was in on. Martin-Barnes-Bolton could be a nice little trio of young guys 

There any linebackers in the league named Michael?

Cuz it would be neat to see a linebacker corp of Michael Bolton in the future.

Martin Bolton is close enough to make me giggle, though.