Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

48 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I mean, the D sucked today, but they didn't get completely gashed on the ground.  It was mostly passing, which really wasn't their main problem last year.  Hoping it was just early season rust.

The D didn't suck until Kenny left the game.  Savage didn't play well and as amazing as Jaire was in the 1st half, he clearly coasted in the 2nd half.

Eh, it's early and I doubt many predicted this many points... Hell, on one of the game day shows we were picked as the "upset"... I like what I saw in this weird new world. A lot of positives and a lot to build on... Also, Rodgers was Goating today no doubt. Clark was a big bummer, a long with Taylor's injury. Gute, it's time to get to work. 

I will give the defense a little love.  They stopped the Vikings right after half when the score was 22-10, to maintain the lead.  They forced a turnover on downs after our only punt of the day, on the next drive.  The game was not in hand at that point, and they did both of those things with out Kenny Clark.  I think those couple of drives were just enough to keep the Packers in the driver's seat.  They were able to keep the Vikings to 10 points through 3 quarters.  But 24 points in the 4th is unacceptable.  

I like the way the offense controlled the clock today.  I can't recall the Packers ever doing that in my life, at least not consistently.  And they will need to continue to do that at least until Kenny Clark is back at 100%.  

• Like 2

Rodgers played QB the way it's meant to be played. He made the easy, simple read and exploited the matchups that worked in our favor. He also hit some deep balls which he seemingly hasn't done in years. I think his footwork was much better. The diversity and weapons on offense are fun. That looked way more like a San Fran/St Louis offense than a Green Bay one and I mean that in a good way. The Green Bay way of "this game is in hand, who ******* care about D now" is infuriating and needs to go.

• Like 1

This one was fun to watch. After that first drive, the Packers were in control until it was relatively safe to play the clock. The offense was still moving the ball at will, so I never felt the Vikings could close the gap. It's game one, no need to trot everything out there. They gave a good number of formation and personnel groupings for film, ran some reverses, and managed to keep the defense on their heels the whole game.

Fingers crossed for Kenny. He is our DL stud, of course they are going to be noticeably weaker without him.

As a minor side note, I liked seeing Dillon and Degura in limited reps and like what both did with their opportunities overall. Good to see from rookies given we haven't seen a snap of practice or preseason.

Just now, Leader said:

Our TE group camp out of TC looking and feeling like a work in progress and game one served to confirm it.

1 reception (Deguara) on 3 targets (Deguara 2 / Sternberger 1) for 12yds.

Was Tonyan our TE1 today?

Deguara looked fantastic in the Juice role IMO but I'm biased as all hell on him.

• Like 2