Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

7 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

if anyone is breaking down the all-22 I would love to know what the TEs (mostly Tonyan) were doing all game.

also I may be wrong, but it looked like on one of the goal line plays we had Lewis split out wide, which seems...not ideal.

I was watching for them.  I think Deguara had 1 catch and 2 targets.  Sternberger had 1 target.  Lewis and Tonyan blocked.  I THINK.

Godgers was just amazing yesterday.  Loved seeing him hit the backs early, and work the middle of the field.  All while throwing on time and in rhythm.   His throwing mechanics were better when in the pocket, too.  Release point, angles...etc.  Loved seeing him extend on only a few plays.  He played within the offense.  And he manipulated the defense.

I was watching Runyan a lot when he was in there.  Telling yah, that kid can play and play at a high level at RG.  He's a big boy and an absolute mauler.  I saw take a slanting DT and push him so far back that he was actually scraping linebackers with his DL on his blocks.  If he has to be RG, we are fine.

Jenkins is a flat out stud.  I knew it coming out.  Thought he could play all 5 positions at a very high level.  It's amazing to me how he can flip from RT to LG in a snap and not lose anything.

Jaire is still an enigma to me.  He's an alpha dog, no doubt.  I hope he studies his film and sees his pre-snap posture on a few plays.  Standing tall, not in a stance, looks disinterested...etc.  Then gives up a TD by a fingernail.  Get in your stance, be a professional and you bat that ball easily.  It's the little things like that will keep him from being only "great" as opposed to "shutdown".  Don't get me wrong, he had a great game and made a couple game changing plays.  But, he can do still do better, and he can do it easily.

How bad are you when Krys Barnes takes your snaps and makes plays?  Talking to Burks here.  

Pettine can only be forgiven because MLF and Godgers kept scoring TD's in the 4'th instead of field goals.  When you invest that much in your EDGE and secondary, you need to be better.  Period.

RB's....I loved watching J Williams pass block.  But can we please stop trying to run him wide?  

Dillion.  On his few reps, the kid looks like he has a great burst when he gets the ball.  He may not have long speed, but his short speed is impressive.  I think we have a keeper there.

Deguara.  That block will be on a coaches tape for that sweep.  He looks like he plays a whole lot faster than he timed in shorts.  Again, we got a keeper there.

Jordan Love.  Looked great in street clothes.  He's thinking one of two things....  1) I'm never seeing playing time if this Rodgers is the one that shows up for the length of my contract.  2)  I need to watch and learn as much as I can from this guy so that if I get a chance, if....well, then I'm ready.

Preston Smith.  Never heard his name mentioned.  Thought he dropped a lot.  Irv Smith caught like one ball, maybe P had something to do with that.

Kirksey.  Tough sledding for him if Clark isn't around and we don't have a lead.

Z.  Still being Z...which is hella disruptive.

Amos.  Highly paid, never heard his name.  Maybe that is a good thing?

King.  They really didn't go after him at all.  Instead they went at Jaire...which was both a blessing and a curse.

Gary.  Flashed some.  Still doesn't look smooth out there.  But does look more powerful and confident.

Lancaster/Keke/Lowry.  Ungh.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

With the makeshift offensive line, I'm sure the TE's/HB's were doing a lot of blocking. On 78 offensive snaps, Tonyan had 48 snaps, Lewis 32, DeGuara 24, Sternberger 12, and Lovett 1.https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2020/9/14/21436016/packers-week-1-snap-counts-robert-tonyan-does-the-heavy-lifting-at-te That comes out to 1.5 per snap.

Elsewhere, Barnes with 15 snaps compared to 3 for Burks. Not due to injury either since Burks had 18 ST snaps.  Redmond had 24 snaps, mostly as dime LB.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

For anyone that thinks we "got away with one" on the 1st Tae TD, here's another look. Too me, it looks like he's got his right foot down, catches the ball and pulls his foot up after. Like, if you look, the ball is in his hands and then you see him move. It's fast but it's clear he caught it.

That is the angle that I was talking about.  I can't see that he had that foot down.  I also can't see that he didn't.  I would not be happy if I were on the other side of that ruling.  It isn't even close to the worst call that I have ever seen though.

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is the angle that I was talking about.  I can't see that he had that foot down.  I also can't see that he didn't.  I would not be happy if I were on the other side of that ruling.  It isn't even close to the worst call that I have ever seen though.

seems crazy that there was not a better angle than that.  

15 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

With the makeshift offensive line, I'm sure the TE's/HB's were doing a lot of blocking. On 78 offensive snaps, Tonyan had 48 snaps, Lewis 32, DeGuara 24, Sternberger 12, and Lovett 1.https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2020/9/14/21436016/packers-week-1-snap-counts-robert-tonyan-does-the-heavy-lifting-at-te That comes out to 1.5 per snap.

Elsewhere, Barnes with 15 snaps compared to 3 for Burks. Not due to injury either since Burks had 18 ST snaps.  Redmond had 24 snaps, mostly as dime LB.

Thinking it is time to stop making excuses for Burks.  Not that we do on here, but in general.  Barnes took his snaps and did well with them.  Burks is what he is now, a fringe NFL player who is only on a roster for depth and specials.  And that's great for a late round pick or UDFA.  But as a third round pick, he's a bust.