Week 1 Hot take

Leoric

Pass rush looks good. Run defense... looks like two ply soft. Going prevent late in the game, they should have lost.

Tyrod looks even worse then my pessimism expected. Herbert will take over by week 6 IMO.

Bengals still more cursed then us. 

Edited by Leoric

Positives

Really liked what I saw from Tillery, much improved from last year. I’ll temper it with, well it’s the Bengals Oline, but much better from him. He took a step forward

Bosa, Hayward Jr., Ingram all played well as expected 

Dont know if Joe was antsy, having trouble reading coverage, scared to pull the trigger or the coverage was just that good. Not many open receivers most of the game until that last drive.  Either way, secondary did a nice job today

Thought overall the oline played well.  Pass pro I don’t think we gave up a sack.  Disappointed in getting stuffed in the ground game at critical times, although I don’t think the playcalling in those situations was great either 

Kelley ran with some authority that was nice to see.  I suspect his playing time will increase as the season goes on

Mike Williams looked great I thought. If balls would have been thrown better, he would have had a big day.  Hunter and Keenan both looked good as well

Negatives

Wasnt impressed with Tyrod at all and I’ll leave it at that

I thought the offensive playcalling was abysmal. It was predictable and lacked any imagination.  Not sure who that’s on Steichen or Lynn,  but I thought it was terrible. I was under the impression we were going to roll out a new offense with a more mobile QB, that looked a lot like the same garbage offense we’ve been running. 

All in all, I’ll take the win.  But if a win ever felt like a tie or loss, it’s this one.  Fortunate to come away with a win today, but if we keep playing like this, it’s gonna be a long season 

The offense made no sense to me at all.  Would have thought Hunter and Ekeler in the passing game would be the focal points in this one and sprinkle in Keenan working intermediate routes.  Instead we were running Ekeler between the tackles, we went to Keenan early then forgot about him, thought we had good success when we targeted Hunter  but didn’t do that often enough either.  Would have thought Tyrod would be on the move more as well, at least roll outs, didn’t see that much either. Was excited to see this “new offense” we’d been hearing about, if that was it, it was pretty terrible.  Hopefully it was just knocking off the week one rust and at least we got a W even if it was ugly 

Something that stood out to me was how long it takes Taylor to get the ball out of his hands. His wind up seems extremely slow to me. 

There were some positives like others have mentioned.

Tillery had a solid game, hopefully he can continue this growth because our D-line will be nuts if he does. 

Kelley showed why the team was giving him so much praise in camp. With Jackson once again hurt I think we'll see a lot more of Kelley. That spin he did to turn a 1 yard loss into a 8 yard gain was awesome, I just wish they would have shown the replay a couple times. Should be a good 1-2 punch with Ekeler.

Overall the line didn't seem to do a bad job especially with some backups in. Tevi surprised me at LT, he seemed a lot better than last year.

The D overall was as you'd expect. I don't like seeing Casey with the most tackles but nice to see Murray with the 2nd most. REALLY going to miss Tranquil as I expected a breakout year for him. They did give up some plays though and Joe missed a couple layups that should have been easy TDs. I'd like to see more consistency throughout the game with the D.

The biggest thing to me is the qb position. Maybe its just the fact that we are going from an exciting gunslinger to a much more conservative guy but the offensive flow was pretty bad. Taylor had a couple good throws but overall I came away underwhelmed. The fact that we didn't turn the ball over is great but we're going to need some plays made to win games this year and I'm not confident he can get it done. He seems to only throw if he sees something open rather than throwing with anticipation. 

This is definitely one of those games that we shouldn't have won but somehow did. Its nice to be on the winning side of the situation for once but it still feels like a loss to me. The real test is next week though and I have a feeling its gonna get ugly.

I'm really concerned with our offense. The D played pretty well until the 4th quarter, when some dubious coverages were called (on some of those completions we had LBers covering WRs on intermediate routes).

I expected Tyrod to show what he did, a lot of inaccuracy, some deep completions,  and some movement in the pocket. He doesn't turn the ball over, which is a plus, but his inaccuracy means we depend on those deep shots a lot. Our O-line was OK, and I think Tyrod did a good job manipulating the pocket and bailing out when he needed to, there was a fair amount of blown assignments, and a couple of free runners on 4 man rushes.

The major things that concerned me were the running game, and the screen game.

I expected this offense to show how we can rely on the running game to win us some games, but I felt we failed in our gameplan. As some of you already mentioned, there were some strange tendencies, and poor utilization of personnel (mainly Ekeler). Our gameplan was so one dimensional that it actually made a lot of difference, when Kelley was getting the rock. Our screen game suffered a lot from the inability to actually run play action, since our run/pass selection was pretty obvious.

Going forward I expect our run game to step up a LOT, or we'll be in deep trouble. Tyrod as shown, time and time again, that he can't be depended on to win games by his own.

For next week though, I expect us to be blown out late in the game, as our defense will tire and our offense will fail to keep any type of control on time of possession.

Edited by kramxel

11 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Positives

Really liked what I saw from Tillery, much improved from last year. I’ll temper it with, well it’s the Bengals Oline, but much better from him. He took a step forward

Bosa, Hayward Jr., Ingram all played well as expected 

Dont know if Joe was antsy, having trouble reading coverage, scared to pull the trigger or the coverage was just that good. Not many open receivers most of the game until that last drive.  Either way, secondary did a nice job today

Thought overall the oline played well.  Pass pro I don’t think we gave up a sack.  Disappointed in getting stuffed in the ground game at critical times, although I don’t think the playcalling in those situations was great either 

Kelley ran with some authority that was nice to see.  I suspect his playing time will increase as the season goes on

Mike Williams looked great I thought. If balls would have been thrown better, he would have had a big day.  Hunter and Keenan both looked good as well

Negatives

Wasnt impressed with Tyrod at all and I’ll leave it at that

I thought the offensive playcalling was abysmal. It was predictable and lacked any imagination.  Not sure who that’s on Steichen or Lynn,  but I thought it was terrible. I was under the impression we were going to roll out a new offense with a more mobile QB, that looked a lot like the same garbage offense we’ve been running. 

All in all, I’ll take the win.  But if a win ever felt like a tie or loss, it’s this one.  Fortunate to come away with a win today, but if we keep playing like this, it’s gonna be a long season 

Thank you for catching that big one I didn't mention. Tillery made some plays and looks like he might live up to draft expectations. Really impressed with what I saw in week one.

Sam Tevi looked a lot better then last year. I mean it would be hard not to, but he looked competent.

8 hours ago, Zappaz said:

The big question is when will Herbert take over? Will Lynn stick with Taylor even if they offense isn't moving the ball well as long as he isn't turning the ball over?

They don't show on the stat line but those two Taylor 4th down runs are effectively turn overs.

Offensive line looked a lot better then last year in general. I feel like we finally got the right coach there. Caveat being they also didn't have to deal with Geno Atkins.

10 hours ago, Zappaz said:

The big question is when will Herbert take over? Will Lynn stick with Taylor even if they offense isn't moving the ball well as long as he isn't turning the ball over?

If we start losing by a lot in a few consecutive games, I can see him making the decision. If we get a ton of close games, I can see a season without Herbert.