SNF Week 1: Cowboys @ Rams

Tex

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not in the just ten years

The SB hangover is an old notion that used to be true when teams were handcuffed, financially, by the ridiculous contracts that rookies were getting (which was raising the bar for the vets).

This all changed in 2011 when the new CBA introduced the rookie deal. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not in the last ten years

Hahaha! Yes in almost literally every case it is! Again, setting aside NE

EDIT - I'd say only Denver managed to avoid it after they got vaporized by the Seahawks

Edited by DannyB

Just now, DannyB said:

Hahaha! Yes in almost literally every case it is! Again, setting aside NE

Out of the last 10 super bowl losers, 8 made the playoffs the following year, 9 had winning records. 8 won at least 10 games, and half won at least 11. 5 won at least 1 playoff game. 

it's not a thing

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Man idk how Dallas managed that offensive output with all those weapons.

I don’t know how you rebuilt your resolve, in just 6 hours of crapping on your team after their embarrassing loss to WTF, but you need to write a book on it. 

Title it: “wINTz: A fumble from Grace”

Edited by ///mcompact
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not in the just ten years

I'm assuming you mean "last,"

LII: Rams (didn't have the same 5-man combination on the OL from one week to the next until Week 12; definitely suffered some hangover; missed playoffs)
LII: Patriots (we've established they don't get hungover)
LI: Falcons (defense and interior OL ransacked by injuries, finshed sub-.500, missed playoffs)
L: Panthers (started 1-5, finished 6-10 overall, and mind you this was in a year where they weren't eliminated from playoff contention until Week 16 because the whole division was booty) 
XLIX: Seahawks (not hungover per say, but did dip some; finished 2nd in the division, still made the playoffs)
XLVIII: Broncos (not hungover, but this was the season it became clear that Peyton was getting by more on his brain than on his arm; mutually parted ways with John Fox following this season, still won division but lost in their first playoff game despite being the #2 seed and having HFA)
XLVII: Niners (the hangover appeared to skip a year with you guys; you secured a wild card and won 2 road playoff games, but then after losing to the eventual champion Seahawks in the NFCCG that was the last you guys would see of the playoffs until this past year.)
XLVI: Patriots

Just now, The LBC said:

I'm assuming you mean "last,"

LII: Rams (didn't have the same 5-man combination on the OL from one week to the next until Week 12; definitely suffered some hangover; missed playoffs)
LII: Patriots (we've established they don't get hungover)
LI: Falcons (defense and interior OL ransacked by injuries, finshed sub-.500, missed playoffs)
L: Panthers (started 1-5, finished 6-10 overall, and mind you this was in a year where they weren't eliminated from playoff contention until Week 16 because the whole division was booty) 
XLIX: Seahawks (not hungover per say, but did dip some; finished 2nd in the division, still made the playoffs)
XLVIII: Broncos (not hungover, but this was the season it became clear that Peyton was getting by more on his brain than on his arm; mutually parted ways with John Fox following this season, still won division but lost in their first playoff game despite being the #2 seed and having HFA)
XLVII: Niners (the hangover appeared to skip a year with you guys; you secured a wild card and won 2 road playoff games, but then after losing to the eventual champion Seahawks in the NFCCG that was the last you guys would see of the playoffs until this past year.)
XLVI: Patriots

See my previous post.

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

well at least Dallas lost so this day wasn't total crap

Same as last year and pretty every year. Nobody is running away with the division although I hope Philly does. So it’s a marathon not a sprint.  It’s going to come down to who wins head to head and who doesn’t lose games they have no business losing. So far the Eagles had no business losing to Washington. So imo the Eagles are already behind the eight ball even though both teams are (0-1) plus it’s a divisional loss which hurts even worst. 

• Like 1

That's not to say that teams don't have a tendency to perform worse the following years. Determining what is a "hangover" and what is just natural regression because winning is freaking hard is difficult however. If your want to attribute it all to hangover, then I suppose that's fair. Historically, about 70% or so make the playoffs the following year. 

The drop in winning percentage is only nominally greater than the drop off super bowl winners (who also share a similar playoff success rate, I believe), so I'd point the finger more at natural regression

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Out of the last 10 super bowl losers, 8 made the playoffs the following year, 9 had winning records. 8 won at least 10 games, and half won at least 11. 5 won at least 1 playoff game. 

it's not a thing

Going backwards over the last decade:

Rams - 9-7 missed playoffs

Falcons - 10-6 missed playoffs

Panthers - 6-10 missed playoffs

Seahawks - 10-6 lost in divisional round (this one is so-so, but I also put it in the context that they were supposed to be the NEXT BIG DYNASTY. LoB + RW was supposed to equal several championships. yeah they kept making the playoffs but that loss absolutely put the franchise in a funk and required some MAJOR re-tooling, i.e. dismantling the LoB, etc, that they're still pulling out of)

Niners - 12-4 lost in NFCCG - I guess I'd give this one to you, ultimately, but it's worth noting that the backslide from SB appearance to losing to your division rival in the CCG caused that white-hot operation to suddenly and dramatically come apart at the seams. But again, take it.

Steelers - 12-4 lost in WC round - Again tough, and I could see the other side, but I'm still claiming it because they got dusted by Tim freaking Tebow in the WC game.

That's the last decade of winners minus the Patriots. I think there's absolutely enough meat on the bone to say potential hangover is a real thing. Not like it HAS to happen, but it often does. I think getting so close to victory, sacrificing so much, only to come up short, can absolutely haunt players and franchises.

I'm not going by pure number of wins all the time. Obviously if you don't make the playoffs it's automatic fail. But considering a lot of these teams went into the season with sky-high expectations, assuming they would pick up where they left off (or the fans do anyways), I'd still say you can rightfully call it a hangover.

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Same as last year and pretty every year. Nobody is running away with the division although I hope Philly does. So it’s a marathon not a sprint.  It’s going to come down to who wins head to head and who doesn’t lose games they have no business losing. So far the Eagles had no business losing to Washington. So imo the Eagles are already behind the eight ball even though both teams are (0-1) plus it’s a divisional loss which hurts even worst. 

I could see us turning it around possibly, but the injury luck we have is just disheartening. 

Can we have some of your guys luck? lol

Adjusted Games Lost by FootballOutsiders:

2016 - 1st

2017 - 1st

2018 - 4th

2019 - 10th

Whatever you guys are doing is working......

11 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I could see us turning it around possibly, but the injury luck we have is just disheartening. 

Can we have some of your guys luck? lol

Adjusted Games Lost by FootballOutsiders:

2016 - 1st

2017 - 1st

2018 - 4th

2019 - 10th

Whatever you guys are doing is working......

Haha hey please have some of our luck. I want to see Rams v Eagles in the NFCCG. Injuries have been crippling the Eagles so I hope y’all can get healthy soon. I think from what I hear the Rams have one of the best medical staffs in the NFL plus McVay knows how to manage the players to keep them as fresh and as healthy as possible for a long grueling season. 

• Like 1