If Apke doesn’t improve next week... what to do @ FS?

turtle28

12 hours ago, Slateman said:

Why is everyone in a rush to change players? 

The likelihood of getting through this season unscathed by COVID is small. Your head coach has cancer. The team doesnt even have a name. This season is done.

Theres no reason to bench players in favor of backups. Especially when those players are young and need the reps. This is how they improve and how they get evaluated.

Unless someone is showing something in practice, why would we remove young players that still have ceiling potential.

This is true, but when you have a guy who’s played bother corner and FS well in Fuller and better options than Apke is at FS at corner (if you follow what I mean), it seems to me you could fix the problem rather easily if Apke doesn’t improve over the next month by moving Fuller to FS and starting Moreau or Moreland at CB opposite Darby.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This is true, but when you have a guy who’s played bother corner and FS well in Fuller and better options than Apke is at FS at corner (if you follow what I mean), it seems to me you could fix the problem rather easily if Apke doesn’t improve over the next month by moving Fuller to FS and starting Moreau or Moreland at CB opposite Darby.

Its Week 3.

Stop. Get help. No one needs to be swapped out until, at the earliest, Week 10. Fuller is established and he is needed at corner. There are plenty of multi-receiver sets for everyone to get reps.

Jesus .... y'all acting like this season is something more than a glorified pre-season. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Its Week 3.

Stop. Get help. No one needs to be swapped out until, at the earliest, Week 10. Fuller is established and he is needed at corner. There are plenty of multi-receiver sets for everyone to get reps.

Jesus .... y'all acting like this season is something more than a glorified pre-season. 

Well yeah, I wouldn’t do it now but if Apke doesn’t improve throughout the season I think it’s a move we should make. Obviously not now, but maybe by mid season. 

It seemed to me he did play better on Sunday then he had the first two weeks.

Actually Apke looked to be in better position but honestly I think his being out of position in the Cardinals has more to do with Kyler then even him. The Philly game was flat out bad. He played better against Cleveland though playing better was about the only real option let’s see. I think it’s easy to point out a FS struggling but he’s looking at the QB and he sees his guys and he’s cheated to a side seeing guys beaten early. So if he doesn’t progress yeah I’d say we should look to improve there.

It hasn’t generally improved through FA. There are very few earl Thomas’s that become avalible and now maybe we see why he was. But I’ve pretty much fallen in love with Bubba Boldin from Miami there. He’s got the eye and speed and he tackles well. Natural instincts. 

20 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Actually Apke looked to be in better position but honestly I think his being out of position in the Cardinals has more to do with Kyler then even him. The Philly game was flat out bad. He played better against Cleveland though playing better was about the only real option let’s see. I think it’s easy to point out a FS struggling but he’s looking at the QB and he sees his guys and he’s cheated to a side seeing guys beaten early. So if he doesn’t progress yeah I’d say we should look to improve there.

It hasn’t generally improved through FA. There are very few earl Thomas’s that become avalible and now maybe we see why he was. But I’ve pretty much fallen in love with Bubba Boldin from Miami there. He’s got the eye and speed and he tackles well. Natural instincts. 

Very true, I thought Apke looked better vs Cleveland too. I mean we didn’t have as many sacks & pressure as we did vs Phila but Baker only threw for 156 yards which points to our improvement on the back end.

16 hours ago, 4209 said:

Thank god for SDH’s touchdown saving tackle on that play but I think Chubb scored on the next play or two plays later. SDH was originally being double teamed, he got off the block of Bryant and made the tackle. Great play by him.

Apke has to be better, I hope he gets better over this month. If he doesn’t, he won’t be on our roster next year.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why can’t we just put Curl in? 

He’s a strong safety I think. Or he’s played more there at least or as a dime LB. I don’t know if he’s ready to be a FS either. Couldn’t hurt though I guess. It’d be nice to know if he could be the answer.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Might as well try.  Also, what happened to Reaves?  I thought he showed some promise.

People overhyped Reaves bc he looked good in preseason last year. He’s more of a strong safety too.

If they are going to put anyone at FS instead of Apke it should be Fuller or even DeShazor Everrett. Everrett is a converted college corner, he has more ball skills and more range than most safeties would because of those corner skills. 

I don’t think they’ll do it though. I think they’re going to stick with Apke for the season bc they want to give him a chance for this year to prove he can or can’t be the guy long term.

Fabian Moreau is one of the highest graded corners in the NFL through the first 3 games. The easiest fix to the problem - if they weren’t fixated on giving Apke every opportunity - would be to start Moreau opposite Darby or Moreland who’s also played well also and to start Fuller at FS. Fuller played well at FS last year when the Chiefs played him there. He had an int in the Super Bowl and almost had two.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

People overhyped Reaves bc he looked good in preseason last year. He’s more of a strong safety too.

If they are going to put anyone at FS instead of Apke it should be Fuller or even DeShazor Everrett. Everrett is a converted college corner, he has more ball skills and more range than most safeties would because of those corner skills. 

I don’t think they’ll do it though. I think they’re going to stick with Apke for the season bc they want to give him a chance for this year to prove he can or can’t be the guy long term.

Fabian Moreau is one of the highest graded corners in the NFL through the first 3 games. The easiest fix to the problem - if they weren’t fixated on giving Apke every opportunity - would be to start Moreau opposite Darby or Moreland who’s also played well also and to start Fuller at FS. Fuller played well at FS last year when the Chiefs played him there. He had an int in the Super Bowl and almost had two.

Moving a player to a different position that he has not even been practicing in, might be the easy solution, but its a bad one.

We all know Moreau stinks in the slot.  Last week Moreland played in the slot a lot and struggled.  He is also an outside corner.  Fuller is great in the slot, but we don't seem to want to maximize his talent.

I am open to Everett.  Curl, I believe played cornerback as well in college.  So why not use him?  He at least seems to be a sound tackler.  

Seems to me like the staff is being stubborn and double down on their massive mistake rather than own it and move forward.  They obviously made a poor evaluation of Apke in camp and were idiots to sign Sean Davis to a guaranteed deal and then let him go.  

48 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Moving a player to a different position that he has not even been practicing in, might be the easy solution, but its a bad one.

We all know Moreau stinks in the slot.  Last week Moreland played in the slot a lot and struggled.  He is also an outside corner.  Fuller is great in the slot, but we don't seem to want to maximize his talent.

I am open to Everett.  Curl, I believe played cornerback as well in college.  So why not use him?  He at least seems to be a sound tackler.  

Seems to me like the staff is being stubborn and double down on their massive mistake rather than own it and move forward.  They obviously made a poor evaluation of Apke in camp and were idiots to sign Sean Davis to a guaranteed deal and then let him go.  

True about Curl being a sure tackler. Agreed they look like idiots for letting Sean Davis go. I believed that was a good sign for Apke but so far that hasn’t showed up on game day.

I think for the time being it makes sense to continue to play and evaluate Apke at FS but at some point they’ll have to pull the plug there and go to Curl, Everrett or Fuller if Apke doesn’t improve.

I get what you’re saying about Fuller not having practiced at FS - that we know of - but, he played well there last year in KC, he’s smart, knows the defense and the calls. I don’t think it would be a huge deal to move him there, but you could be right, maybe it would be.

Edited by turtle28