Trubisky vs Mayfield

patriotsheatyan

Trubisky vs Mayfield  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better

• Trubisky
    • Mayfield

Trubisky has never shown a passing season as good as Baker’s rookie season. Baker has potential to be a mid to low end franchise QB IMO, one game where Baker played a stacked Ravens secondary and Trubisky played a bad Lions secondary isn’t going to convince me this is a competition. So far we have rookie Baker with an awesome season and 2nd year Baker with a terrible season. This game today while he didn’t have a good game, he also wasn’t as terrible as the stats indicate. I’d easily bet he finishes the season as the superior QB. 

Edited by diamondbull424

53 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Trubisky has never shown a passing season as good as Baker’s rookie season. Baker has potential to be a mid to low end franchise QB IMO, one game where Baker played a stacked Ravens secondary and Trubisky played a bad Lions secondary isn’t going to convince me this is a competition. So far we have rookie Baker with an awesome season and 2nd year Baker with a terrible season. This game today while he didn’t have a good game, he also wasn’t as terrible as the stats indicate. I’d easily bet he finishes the season as the superior QB. 

Baker’s 2018 passer rating was at the league average and below Trubisky’s. 

35 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

If Mitch could play against the Lions every week he'd be a top 5 QB in the NFL.

In 6 career games: 137 of 203 (67.4%), for 1,601 yards, 14 TDs, 4 INTs.

That's still way too much credit at this point lol. 

No, honestly, say what you want about his performance but there is no way that anyone can deny what he did in the 4th Q when the Bears were down by 17 points.

I'm still shocked by it. It was a night to day difference. 

Especially with how he handled those no-huddle snaps towards the end. Usually he would lock onto one pre-snap target and just fire away immediately but he didn't do that and was actually going through his progressions and making some very tight window throws. One of them was wasn't featured in the video where Arob dropped it. 

These are the types of progressions in Mitch's game that I have been waiting to see from him for the last two years and I have never seen until now. 

Now, is this progression sustainable, or is it simply an aberration? I can't answer that. That answer remains to be seen.

But nevertheless, I like that he has shown that he is willing to learn (never been an issue by all accounts) and actually showing it on the field in a real game instead of just practice.

Edit: And this is coming from someone who is not a big fan of Mitch.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Baker’s 2018 passer rating was at the league average and below Trubisky’s. 

And Baker’s (53.57/100) Adjusted Passer rating in 2018 was higher than Trubisky’s (52.13/100). It’s a far better and more indicative of QB performance than the passer rating formula for reasons explained.

Then when we consider PFF as the “eye test” where Baker scored an 83.2 vs Trubisky’s 63.0 rating. I mean I would claim my own eye test, but this is far more objective.

Edit: Lastly, the old draft adage that you need to give a player 3 seasons to show us if they’re a bust or capable. Well Trubisky has had his three seasons to show us what kind of QB he is and he’s shown that he’s an athletic game manager at best. But even in that he fails because he hasn’t shown to be an optimal decision maker. Trubisky has had one above average season (much of his production came from just a couple games) and two bad seasons. While Baker on the other hand has had two seasons; one good and one bad, there’s nothing to suggest that Trubisky is better than Baker.

In ANY/A Baker is superior in his career to Trubisky. He’s passing for roughly 40 more yards than Trubisky. Baker has about 1% on Trubisky in TD% while he’s 1% less in INT%. While that means Baker is making much more negative plays... considering his volume, he’s also making far more positive plays.

I’ll bank on Baker being able to make less negative plays than Trubisky heavily increasing his ability to make positive plays over the course of an entire season.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Now, is this progression sustainable, or is it simply an aberration? I can't answer that. That answer remains to be seen.

I didn’t watch the game but at least early in those game highlights it looked like he wasn’t appropriately going through his progressions either. Looked like he started to at some point in the second half.

So I definitely think along with his three season sample size, I’d err on the side of him not being able to sustain what he did in the 4th quarter there. JMO though.

26 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I didn’t watch the game but at least early in those game highlights it looked like he wasn’t appropriately going through his progressions either. Looked like he started to at some point in the second half.

So I definitely think along with his three season sample size, I’d err on the side of him not being able to sustain what he did in the 4th quarter there. JMO though.

Edit: He was gong through progressions in the 2nd half. 

Oh, believe me, I have my doubts. But the fact that he showed improvements in areas of his game that I didn't think were even possible in first reg season game (while working with an entirely new staff during a year with no off-season programs or preseason) gives me some sort of hope.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

And Baker’s (53.57/100) Adjusted Passer rating in 2018 was higher than Trubisky’s (52.13/100). It’s a far better and more indicative of QB performance than the passer rating formula for reasons explained.

Then when we consider PFF as the “eye test” where Baker scored an 83.2 vs Trubisky’s 63.0 rating. I mean I would claim my own eye test, but this is far more objective.

Edit: Lastly, the old draft adage that you need to give a player 3 seasons to show us if they’re a bust or capable. Well Trubisky has had his three seasons to show us what kind of QB he is and he’s shown that he’s an athletic game manager at best. But even in that he fails because he hasn’t shown to be an optimal decision maker. Trubisky has had one above average season (much of his production came from just a couple games) and two bad seasons. While Baker on the other hand has had two seasons; one good and one bad, there’s nothing to suggest that Trubisky is better than Baker.

In ANY/A Baker is superior in his career to Trubisky. He’s passing for roughly 40 more yards than Trubisky. Baker has about 1% on Trubisky in TD% while he’s 1% less in INT%. While that means Baker is making much more negative plays... considering his volume, he’s also making far more positive plays.

I’ll bank on Baker being able to make less negative plays than Trubisky heavily increasing his ability to make positive plays over the course of an entire season.

Are these raw stats taking into consideration of each QB's circumstances? Or is this just another raw stats tell all post?