Ryan Kerrigan breaks team sack record

naptownskinsfan

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I’m sure that’s it... dude, he broke the team sack record and he played all but one of his games since 2011 in a 3-4. People still don’t get it. He rushed the passer almost every play as a 3-4 OLB. He surely exceeded everyone’s expectations for him on draft day, I was one of the few - maybe only one - defending the pick. Almost all Washington fans thought he wouldn’t work out in a 3-4. He’s surpassed everyone’s expectations of him.

Well let's see.

@mike23md I am glad that we have Kerrigan. He has a motor that doesn't quit. He still has some learning to do, but he gets upfield fast and tackles well. He has good pursuit and is a smart player.

I really love the pick and hope that he continues to progress.

Our good old friend @Dashing - I know some might bash me but watching Kerrigan you just flat out know this guy will be a play maker. He might end up the best thing since ST and I'm not even lying. Even in College I never thought Orakpo was so great I did think his work ethics was fantastic but if anything I was cheering for us to get Clay Mathews and people said I was dumb for that ..I wanted to move up because he has this great motor in college and you knew he was a play maker.

@e16bball - I think Harrison/Woodley is a good comparison for our duo --- Kerrigan reminds me of Woodley. Which I don't think is a coincidence, because I think the FO was very much looking to mirror the personnel of the Steelers. I'm very excited about Kerrigan. I'm not ready to go as far as the OP (I'd kinda like to see him play a few NFL games first), but I think he's got a lot of potential. People sell his athleticism short and view him as a motor guy, but the reality is you can be a great athlete AND have a great motor. See Clay Matthews, for example.

@rizzy - I don't know where this notion comes from that Kerrigan isn't athletic, being a white guy? I personally am real excited to see the potential for the 2 of them together. I don't know how he will be in pass coverage but I am not worried about him rushing the Quaterback at all. Like others have said I am really glad this defense is prioritizing turnovers (Otogwe, Wilson, Kerrigan) .

@footy_29 - Left side really will be the strong side. So excited to see this defense with Kerrigan. Now we just need the season to start.

Dude, I am not sure, but I am truly not finding much negative about him in the old forum minus some people wondering how he will do in coverage in a 3-4.

Tried to find anything I posted specifically, but looks like I wasn't around too much in 2011. 

The worst thing was all the love for Orakpo for the next decade too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Well let's see.

Dude, I am not sure, but I am truly not finding much negative about him in the old forum minus some people wondering how he will do in coverage in a 3-4.

Tried to find anything I posted specifically, but looks like I wasn't around too much in 2011. 

I was really pissed we passed on Blaine Gabbert lol.

• Like 2

Also a lot of people like to point out that we missed out on JJ Watt by trading down in that draft (even though there’s no evidence we would have drafted him).  Well Kerrigans career has obviously not had the explosive highs that Watt has had, but he’s been more consistent.  Kerrigan is currently only 4 career sacks behind Watt.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Also a lot of people like to point out that we missed out on JJ Watt by trading down in that draft (even though there’s no evidence we would have drafted him).  Well Kerrigans career has obviously not had the explosive highs that Watt has had, but he’s been more consistent.  Kerrigan is currently only 4 career sacks behind Watt.

It wasn’t about whether we would have taken Watt it was just a player prefence just like Payne over Vea. Both have been highly effective for their squads. Love Kerrigan he’s a beast I wouldn’t be upset with he or Watt and I’m Happy Ryan doesn’t appear to be slowing down like Watt has shown signs of. 

That said Ryan had a pick 6 his first game and I think fans here have been happy and should have loved the pick since because he’s been an amazing player. I hope he has a huge career year

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Watt is definitely more talented and explosive, but he has problems staying healthy.  Kerrigan is extremely consistent and plays with a motor like no one else.  

But yeah, I don't like to play that game either.  No one knows who is on the draft boards for certain teams when they trade out.  

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 8:38 AM, MikeT14 said:

Well let's see.

I remember during the draft process - draft threads - people not liking him for the 3-4. I’m sure what you are looking at is from the Ryan Kerrigan thread after we selected him.

Then, you have to throw in that almost everyone didn’t like that Shanahan switched to the 3-4 and thought that Kerrigan & Rak’s play was diminished by playing in the 3-4 when the truth of it is that their production never showed that.

So, I take the continual attack of the 3-4 scheme from 2010-2019 and the continual points made that Kerrigan & Rak “play better with their hands,” in the dirt and Murphy, PSmith & Montez after Rak as people not liking the Kerrigan pick for our 3-4 defense.

Maybe that’s not the right way to look at it but that’s what I see.

Edited by turtle28

23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t really know why that matters. I don’t care what Shanahan’s draft board said, Watt is the better player. 

Love Kerrigan, I wear his jersey every Sunday but if they didn’t have Watt rated as highly as the Texans, it’s more obvious 9 years later that they should have and that goes to Shanahan’s questionable scouting of defensive players in the draft which was a problem for the entire time since he was given full control of football operations in Denver after they won two Super Bowls and the GM who built those Super Bowl teams retired.

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I remember during the draft process - draft threads - people not liking him for the 3-4. I’m sure what you are looking at is from the Ryan Kerrigan thread after we selected him.

Then, you have to throw in that almost everyone didn’t like that Shanahan switched to the 3-4 and thought that Kerrigan & Rak’s play was diminished by playing in the 3-4 when the truth of it is that their production never showed that.

So, I take the continual attack of the 3-4 scheme from 2010-2019 and the continual points made that Kerrigan & Rak “play better with their hands,” in the dirt and Murphy, PSmith & Montez after Rak as people not liking the Kerrigan pick for our 3-4 defense.

Your tryna argue this for what? Had they stayed in a 4-3, the Defense we saw on Sunday wouldn't be new to Us.

Kerrigan, Orakpo, Carter, Murphy, and Smith all played better with their hand in the dirt.

It's Great Kerragin did well in a 3-4 but that doesn't say he wouldn't have done better in a 4-3. He would've broken that record faster in 4-3 from 2010-2019 in my opinion. Also Orakpo, Carter, Murphy, and Smith would've been great talents next to him. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I went through a bunch of threads from February to October. The concern was his ability in coverage, which I acknowledged. Otherwise it was more of what I posted above. 

We were already in a 3-4 when we drafted him, no? Or it was our 2nd year I mean. Kerrigan never knew differently from a 3-4 until this year. But yes, Orakpo went from 11 (4-3) to 8.5 (3-4 switch) to 9. 

The attack of the 3-4 is different than attacking Kerrigan. People liked the pick. 

On 9/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, ripsean21 said:

Expectations were very high but I do agree the only knock I had on the pick was we passed on Watt to trade down and they were switching to a 3-4 so I felt Watt was the better piece to build the 3-4 with since we had Ram. I know you need the guy on each side but our DL was weaker then I think what we could have had and that was at the time. Kerrigan was a stud at Perdue and the only logical knock about his on field was the switch from End to Backer. Say what you will about Trent but Kerrigan has been this teams best selection of that decade/era.

I would say Trent was the best player Washington had in the 2010’s, Kerrigan was the best selection bc Kerrigan wasn’t drafted as high as Trent.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I went through a bunch of threads from February to October. The concern was his ability in coverage, which I acknowledged. Otherwise it was more of what I posted above. 

We were already in a 3-4 when we drafted him, no? Or it was our 2nd year I mean. Kerrigan never knew differently from a 3-4 until this year. But yes, Orakpo went from 11 (4-3) to 8.5 (3-4 switch) to 9. 

The attack of the 3-4 is different than attacking Kerrigan. People liked the pick. 

Sure, however you feel. We’ll just have to disagree. 

Kerrigan is clearly more suited to 4-3, but he is a versatile player who was incredibly productive in a 3-4 as well.  There is no debating this.  He just broke the redskins all time sack record and only 2 of those were in a 4-3 base.  I mean geez, in both 2017 and 2018 he had 13 sacks.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What do you mean? I went back and researched and posted what was posted. This isn't my feelings. 

Well I remember it, I’m sure it wasn’t every poster but I do remember people not liking him for the 3-4 bc they questioned his athleticism/coverege ability. Maybe it was only a few posters, I can’t really remember specifics but I do remember some discussions going on about whether people would draft him or not, I particularly remember Me and Redskins 24-7 discussing it at some point but that was months before the NFL draft, probably during the 2010 College Football season.