Ragnarok

Who wins?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

BDL 2020 Week 1

Match:  Williamsport @ Portland 

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @EaglesPeteC

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Williamsport
A couple of notes first of all. The strongest part of Portland defensively is their secondary, however their weakness is their LBs and Interior DL. They're not equipped for a 3-4 Defense, especially considering Michael Pierce opted out. That gives them just 1 Int on the roster, but that also means they're not equipped for the 4-3. They're going to be forced to spend this entire game in subpackage more often than not with just 2 down linemen, especially when you consider they really don't have versatile Edge rushers at their disposal.

Offensively they are fairly balanced.

So that brings me to my team.

WSR has invested a ton into the Defense, while it is not a perfect speficimen it has the versatility to run any scheme i choose. My strength used to be my secondary and while I still feel that it is a strength, I feel my LB corps is my defenses strongest point. Offensively, I dont have a true #1 WR though I think Riley is as close to one as it gets save Julio Jones being on that rl roster. But I do feel I have several solid #2s and guys with reliable hands. The Oline is also significantly improved and Ben is back for one last ride.

Now my Gameplan.

This is simple offensively, as I said, from my vantage point, the weakness of Portland defensicely is everything but their secondary. So that's exactly what I'm going to attack. There's going to be a heavy dose of Derrick Henry in this game to minimize their ability to consistently blitz and require them to figure out a way to get 3+ DL on the field to stop the run. Frank Gore being active is going to allow me to keep Henry fresh.

My offensive gameplan this week is going to feature a lot of I-Formation and 2 TE sets to keep the running game going.. When i do go into 3 WR sets it'll be Ridley, Edleman, and Lazard first off the bench. The passing game will also feature a few deep shots to Ridley to keep the defense from creeping up top far in the passing game.

I'm going to attack the middle of the field with the Edleman and use Ridley and Lazard to attack the edges. Im also going to get Cohen involved in the passing game on the edges to force the DEs to have to think about what's coming.

Ball control and wearing down the opposing dline due to lack of depth is going to be my goal in addition to limiting the impact the opposing secondary is able to have via formation selection.

My run/pass ratio will be (70/30)

Defensively:

Portlands best chance at winning this game is on the legs and hands od Christian McCaffery. Scheme wise we plan to run Cover 2 ,& 3, we plan to run Nickel and dime coverages and we plan to use a healthy dose of base formation when the opposing formation allows it.

Devin Bush's #1 Priority in this game will be CMAC, Bush will shadow him. When in base Kwon will spy the QB.

I intend to blitz on 67% of the plays with both Burns and Barrett. As such, I will have my Safeties playing semi-conservative protecting against getting beat deep, I want them to react to the run and protect against the pass. My defensive lines job in this game will be to control the Oline and open holes for Burns, Barrett, and occasionally Hilton on the blitz.

I trust in my secondary and as such the CBs will not have a specified shadow, this is not a disregard of Theilen or any other receiver but more a specific purpose. I want the CBs to focus on covering who is on their side of the field or in their zone. I feel this will lead to less out of position play. In the initial week, I plan to use a healthy mix of Zone & Man Coverage.

Game Day Roster:
QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Derrick Henry
TE: Vance McDonald 
WR: Calvin Ridley
WR: Allen Lazard
WR: Julian Edleman
LT: Dion Dawkins
LG Quniton Spain
C : JC Tretter
RG: Cody Ford
RT: DJ Humphries 

Bench:
Rb: Frank Gore
Rb: Tarik Cohen
FB: Derrick Watt
TE: Dallas Goedert 
WR; Jalen Reagor
WR Olabisi Johnson 
OT: Andre Smith
OC: Mitch Morse

DEFENSE:

LDE: Leonard Williams
NT: DJ Reader
RDE: Jordan Phillips

LOLB: Brian Burns
ILB: Devin Bush
ILB: Kwon Alexander
ROLB: Shaq Barrett

CB: Jimmy Smith
CB: Carlton Davis

FS: Quandre Diggs
SS: Terrell Edmunds

Bench:
DE: Quinton Jefferson
DE: Charles Omenihu
DT: Jonathan Hankins
ILB: Avery Williamson
CB: Donte Jackson
CB: Mike Hilton
CB: Trayvon Mullen
SS: Adrian Phillips

Portland

QB- Kirk Cousins

RB- Christian McCaffrey

FB- Patrick Ricard

WR- Adam Thielien 

WR- Davante Adams

TE- Mark Andrews

OT- Laremy Tunsil

OG- Andrew Norwell

C- Matt Paradis

OG- Mark Glowinski

OT- Alejandro Villanueva

LE- John Simon

RE- Hassan Ridgeway

NT- Michael Pierce

EDGE- Dee Ford

LB- Blake Martinez

LB- Jayon Brown

EDGE- Bud Dupree

CB- Marcus Peters

CB- Desmond Trufant

FS- Marcus Maye

SS- Landon Collins

2nd RB- Peyton Barber

3rd WR- Mike Williams

4th WR- John Ross

2nd TE- David Njoku

Swing T- Andrew Wyile

Swing G- Will Hernandez

3rd EDGE/LB- Jamie Collins

4th LB- Jarrad Davis

4th EDGE/3-4 DE- Breeland Speaks 

3rd S- Malcolm Jenkins

4th S- Mike Edwards

Slot CB- Mackenzie Alexander

4th CB- Eli Apple

5th CB- EJ Gaines

OFFENSE:

My base offense will be 12 personnel. Lean heavily on Christian McCaffrey. He is the best RB in the game and dynamic. The defense can expect a heavy workload from him. I think my offensive line matches up with anyone and can move defenders off the ball. When the offense loads up the box to stop McCaffrey, Cousins using play action and quick slants to two dominate outside WR’s in Davante Adams and Adam Thielen as well 2 really strong pass catching TE’s in Andrews and Njoku. If the defense counters with bliz, the short screen and swing passes to McCaffrey should hit for big plays and slow down my opponent’s blitz.

Defense:

Our base package will be a 3-4 and I plan on being very aggressive defensively with multiple blitz packages and pressure schemes. Ford and Dupree on the outside will give their tackles fits and Martinez and Jayron Brown will be there to help hold runs to short gains. 

However, I think my offense will be successful, so I think I’ll be in nickel a lot especially big nickel with Malcolm Jenkins coming in as a quasi-LB to help with run support and coverage.He and Landon Collins can alternate roles to keep the offense guessing. I also plan on mixing in a lot of Jamie Collins all over the formation as an offball LB and a pass rusher to confuse the offense and offensive line. I think my CB’s Peters, Trufant and nickel CB Mackensie Alexander will match up well 1 on 1 and Marcus Maye will be our over the top center fielder to help prevent big plays.

Portland has some great weapons and pieces. However with WSR playing ball Control with a big beast like Henry wearing them down and their lack of interior line presence I don’t see them getting to give those weapons the opportunities they had in their real games. With Big Ben looking good with Ridley, Lazard, and Edelman being enough offensive passing firepower in the passing game (even though there is no mention of Goedert being used in the passing game, however he is playing in the 2 TE sets so I’ll assume he will be used there) to give WSR the steady play they need, they earn the victory here. 

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Portland has some great weapons and pieces. However with WSR playing ball Control with a big beast like Henry wearing them down and their lack of interior line presence I don’t see them getting to give those weapons the opportunities they had in their real games. With Big Ben looking good with Ridley, Lazard, and Edelman being enough offensive passing firepower in the passing game (even though there is no mention of Goedert being used in the passing game, however he is playing in the 2 TE sets so I’ll assume he will be used there) to give WSR the steady play they need, they earn the victory here. 

Yeah Goedert would be used out of the 2 TE set this week. In future weeks he may be elevated to my starter

Yeah, Portland is going to unfortunately struggle to stop the run here even with Derrick Henry not looking dominant this week. I think Portland will have some success passing against that secondary but just won't be on the field enough with Williamsport eating up the clock.

That was more than good for a first writeup @EaglesPeteC.  Portland's flaws are obvious and WSR obviously exploited those.  On the other hand, I think strategy wise Portlands offense will be successful as well.  Henry prob runs for 200 and 4 TDs up the middle, McCaffrey prob catches 10 balls for 100+ against the relentless blitz.  WSR wins, but I like the core of Portland's roster better.  Not enough weeks of waivers unless every guy on the roster stays healthy.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

Yeah, Portland is going to unfortunately struggle to stop the run here even with Derrick Henry not looking dominant this week. I think Portland will have some success passing against that secondary but just won't be on the field enough with Williamsport eating up the clock.

Dude, did you watch that game?  That's an awesome run defense he just carried 30 TIMES against.  DId you not see the play where he was tackled behind the line,  he turned around, put his head down and speared his center in the gut and fell forward 6 yards.  BEAST

If the main goal is to stop McCaffrey, why did you blitz 2/3 of the plays? Then you have the safeties conservatively back to protect against deep pass. This removes four guys from actively pursuing the ball carrier. With Kwon eyeing the QB and CBs on WRs you are putting a lot of faith on one guy to stop CMac. 

That said, you both went ball control focusing on the run for offense. With the loss of Pierce, this leaves Speaks (285lbs) to either go in and slide Ridgeway to NT or put the light guy in the middle. With no depth beyond those three however, Portland's dline would eventually be exhausted by Henry thus giving the nod to WSR though I will say it is closer that meets the eye just because I feel WSRs strategy in defense may not be fully fleshed out 

1 hour ago, pheltzbahr said:

Dude, did you watch that game?  That's an awesome run defense he just carried 30 TIMES against.  DId you not see the play where he was tackled behind the line,  he turned around, put his head down and speared his center in the gut and fell forward 6 yards.  BEAST

I didn't say he was terrible or had no good plays. I don't think he looked nearly as unstoppable as last season. He carried the ball 31 times and averaged 3.7 yards per carry. Not bad but certainly not dominant. You are correct that he played a good run stopping unit which I'm sure had plenty to do with it along with it being the first game of the season.

11 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

EPC's drawn the short stick here with a heavily undermanned roster while Williamsport look much improved. Henry runs all over Portland's patchwork defensive front and Williamsport don't look back.

I agree fully with this. If EPC sticks with it, his roster can be naaaasty pretty quickly.