Jaime Collins' Ejection - Valid or not?

RaidersAreOne

Was it a valid ejection?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a valid ejection?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

100% you can’t touch the refs. Everyone in sports knows that. Thread is embarrassing 

Everyone does know that, but apparently it's OK for the ref to touch players?

A few years ago, we had a ref grab Burfict from behind, around the neck and shoulder pad area.  Taz couldn't see him, and brushed his arms off and walked the other way.  He got tossed.  burfict did a lot of dumb things, finable and ejectable things, but that wasn't one of them.  

Refs do what they want because they govern themselves.  They pick and choose when to make calls.  I've long advocated the Players Association having jurisdiction over them.  Especially for stuff like this.

23 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Clear ejection, by the rule, don't even get why this warrants a thread.

Ref flinched, and people are saying he was "selling it"....

Collins is an idiot for doing it.

Ref literally chest bumbed the helmet. Ref leaned into it and then jumped backwards. Its refs like that that have no place in this game.

Is there a longer clip of this somewhere or something?  I keep seeing people say that the ref leaned into him but it just looks like the ref is just standing there and the camera is panning?  It doesn't seem to me that he's moving forward once Collins drops his helmet.  I think it's pretty clear it was an accident, but I don't really blame the ref for spooking and throwing the flag right away.

Edit:  After watching a few times, it does look a little like the refs right shoulder goes toward Collins, but I don't think there was intent to initiate contact.  It looked like they were both slowly approaching each other, but then Collins suddenly drops his helmet and the ref moved awkwardly in response.  You can see how quickly his head dropped even in slow-motion.

Edited by Jotun_Fan
  • Like 1

It's an overreaction, but not sure I would call it invalid.  I feel like if the ref isn't wearing a mask, that might not even happen.  When Collins drops his head, the mask causes the ref to lose sight of him for a second, when he looks down; he leans forward, and then feels the contact.  I think that causes him to overreact.  Kind of crazy.  Collins needs to be smarter than that, regardless, though.

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have no problem with the ejection...you just can't do that. Come on. Why even mess around with it? I'd have classified it as "ejection for stupidity", I don't even need to include the part about touching the refs at that point 

"Due to unnecessary imbecility, #58 is hereby disqualified."

• Like 2