Jaime Collins' Ejection - Valid or not?

RaidersAreOne

Was it a valid ejection?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a valid ejection?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Is it technically stupid to do that next to a ref? Yeah.

Did the referee overreact for absolutely no reason and eject him because he technically touched him? Yep.

Technically stupid? Give me one good reason why Collins would walk up to the ref on the other side of the line of scrimmage after a play and put the crown of his helmet done right at his chest if not to either touch him or incite him. 

Please justify that beyond he was doing what it looked like he was trying to do 

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Technically stupid? Give me one good reason why Collins would walk up to the ref on the other side of the line of scrimmage after a play and put the crown of his helmet done right at his chest if not to either touch him or incite him. 

Please justify that beyond he was doing what it looked like he was trying to do 

He was demonstrating something. Players do it all the time. Watch what WR/DB's do every single time they think they were interfered with or held or something. They all try to demonstrate.

Was it a stupid thing to try to demonstrate lowering your head towards a referee? Sure. But trying to incite the ref or even try to touch him? That's laughable, especially considering the only reason he touched him in the first place is because the referee literally turned into Collins.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He was demonstrating something. Players do it all the time. Watch what WR/DB's do every single time they think they were interfered with or held or something. They all try to demonstrate.

Was it a stupid thing to try to demonstrate? Sure. But trying to incite the ref or even try to touch him? That's laughable, especially considering the only reason he touched him in the first place is because the referee literally turned into Collins.

Oh really? They’d funny, I’ve never seen anyone “demonstrate” that to a ref before. Btw I watched that play in room with at least 3 former refs and each one was in agreement. 

This thread is delusional to such basic common sense 

8 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Did I really just read that Jamie Collins is stupid for trying to demonstrate? 

haha Kip show me like 5 examples in football history of player walking right up to a ref and putting his helmet in chest that didn’t end in penalties. Please lol. 

This is why refs and coaches just ignore fans. Some blatant common sense and fans will trip all over themselves to justify it. You never touch the ref. It’s pretty simple. You learn it when you are a kid playing youth sports. 

Again this thread is full of the usual “player good, ref bad” fan tug along that makes all of us look bad

It's a pretty soft call, but they almost always are in regards to contact with an official. I don't think Collins intended to make contact, but he did and that's all that matters.

The true BS ones are when the official comes in to break up a scrum from the blindside and the player slaps him away or shrugs him off .

I think the ref made an instinctual move to protect himself from Collins.   Collins is coming toward him with full football gear and lowers his helmet.   Does it look like the ref makes/initiates the contact, yes.  Would most  people in a similar situation make a similar instinctual move, I think they would

3 hours ago, daineraider said:

Overreaction for sure, but what is Collins doing?  The ref wasn’t even looking at him and Collins lowers his head like a bull.  The ref looked more startled/confused, it was an overreaction but I’m ok with the penalty(not sure an ejection was warranted).

David Mongomery was lowering his head and using his helmet as a battering ram on a few runs before this. As it is supposed to be a penalty and point of emphasis, but is seldom called on offensive players, Collins was frustrated and was trying to show the official what Montgomery was doing and to look for it. 

• Like 3

Was it a serious infraction?  No, there was no intent to harm or anything as such.  Was it a valid penalty?  100%.  You cant make physical contact with a ref UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.  By rule it's an ejection.  All of that was correct.  The fact that it wasnt serious is why Collins isnt being suspended.  This thread is about as stupid as Collins lowering his crown to lightly bump the refs chest to demonstrate lowering the crown of the helmet.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

haha Kip show me like 5 examples in football history of player walking right up to a ref and putting his helmet in chest that didn’t end in penalties. Please lol. 

This is why refs and coaches just ignore fans. Some blatant common sense and fans will trip all over themselves to justify it. You never touch the ref. It’s pretty simple. You learn it when you are a kid playing youth sports. 

Again this thread is full of the usual “player good, ref bad” fan tug along that makes all of us look bad

The irony of you asking for common sense here is hysterical. 

• Like 1