MVP Watch FINAL RANKINGS (Version 17.0)

BayRaider

On 10/20/2020 at 5:52 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

1. Wilson

2. Tannehill

3. Mahomes

4. Jackson

5. Rogers 

Obviously I love Jackson, but I just can't see the justification for having him in the top 5 given what he has displayed thus far in 2020. Personally, my list would be:

1. Wilson
2. Tannehill
3. Mahomes
4. Rodgers (one bad games doesn't discredit what else he has done this season)
5a. Donald
5b. Henry

95% chance a QB ends up winning the award (again) unless Donald or Henry can have record setting seasons and the QBs fade a bit down the stretch.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Tannehill should not be over Henry 

Fully disagree. Tannehil is super valuable to that team and I’d say he is more important than Henry, although both are equally important. Plus the tape and numbers don’t lie about the incredible season Tannehil is having. Ever since he has joined the Titans, he has been super efficient, while maintaining a high YPA. He was Top 5 in MVP last year as well imo. Before this most recent game, Henry didn’t come close to Tanny. You will probably make an argument that Tannehil does what he’s doing because of Henry, but the opposite is completely true as well, and it’s more true Tannehil does more for Henry. They compliment each other very well, more so than any QB/RB combo in the league. It reminds me of 2016 Dak/Elliott how they also complimented each other very well. 

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I agree with this, and to add on it would be Russell <gap> Tannehill <gap> everyone else

Not really if you go back and watch the game and how easy the throws were that he made. I posted about this after teh game, but it was really only 1-2 impressive throws (including the TD to Hardman). Everything else was really easy because of how open everyone was and how out-coached we werw.

Throwing to open receivers means the quarterback isn’t impressive?

That’s been like every MVP QB ever, from Montana to Brady

The MVP isn’t the award for whichever quarterback happens to have the worst receivers. Otherwise Manning wouldn’t have 5

Edited by Nightime

11 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Obviously I love Jackson, but I just can't see the justification for having him in the top 5 given what he has displayed thus far in 2020. Personally, my list would be:

1. Wilson
2. Tannehill
3. Mahomes
4. Rodgers (one bad games doesn't discredit what else he has done this season)
5a. Donald
5b. Henry

95% chance a QB ends up winning the award (again) unless Donald or Henry can have record setting seasons and the QBs fade a bit down the stretch.

A defensive person will never win it again even if he does have a record setting season. See JJ Watt's record setting season of 2014 when he had absurd stats that spanned every single facet of a DLman's game PLUS some offensive TDs. 

You'd have Allen out of it now?

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A defensive person will never win it again even if he does have a record setting season. See JJ Watt's record setting season of 2014 when he had absurd stats that spanned every single facet of a DLman's game PLUS some offensive TDs. 

You'd have Allen out of it now?

Given the crazy numbers QBs put up in the modern game and how much they are glorified, I agree its unlikely we see a defensive player win MVP, but I wouldn't call it outright impossible. Granted, they would need a ton of cards to align in their direction, so certainly improbable, but not impossible. 

And even though I like him, I wasn't a huge believer in Allen as an MVP candidate to begin with this season and the last two games have only bolstered my opinion. I think he's in the top 10, but I don't personally believe he should be in the top 5 at the moment. Probably a bit of bias here, but IMO for a young player to win it, they have to do something truly remarkable, a la Lamar Jackson last year. I believe Allen is more than capable of putting up good fantasy numbers, but he has to prove he can sustain this winning, high level of play over a full season to really be in the discussion for me. 

8 hours ago, Nightime said:

Throwing to open receivers means the quarterback isn’t impressive?

That’s been like every MVP QB ever, from Montana to Brady

The MVP isn’t the award for whichever quarterback happens to have the worst receivers. Otherwise Manning wouldn’t have 5

I'm just saying nothing he did in the Baltimore game was really that impressive.

Patrick Mahomes Week 3 Pass Chart

The two deep touchowns, one was wide open and the other was a very impressive throw. Look at where everything else is, and when you watch the game, almost all of those throws are literally to wide open guys. I'm not discounting Mahomes as an MVP candidate or his overall body of work, but using the Baltimore game as an example of a great Mahomes game I don't think is accurate.

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm just saying nothing he did in the Baltimore game was really that impressive.

The two deep touchowns, one was wide open and the other was a very impressive throw. Look at where everything else is, and when you watch the game, almost all of those throws are literally to wide open guys. I'm not discounting Mahomes as an MVP candidate or his overall body of work, but using the Baltimore game as an example of a great Mahomes game I don't think is accurate.

You could say this with most MVP’s. It’s really just best QB on the best team 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That looks like a Brady chart, and he was the biggest winner in NFL history 

Joe Montana made his living off short passes and a few deep tosses mixed in.

If he needs to throw a perfect deep pass to a well covered receiver he can still do that (like in the Chargers game) but it’s not what his offense is based on

Alot of Mahomes receivers are open because he throws early and with elite anticipation. 

Edited by Nightime

If Both Dak (obviously if he wasn't injured too) and Watson were on teams with better records, they would have made the front page. Both leading passing yards, both leading on attempts down field, both have the best average yards per game. Texas QB's STRONG 💪

56 minutes ago, Drained said:

This list never had Dak in the top 10 ever? Despite record breaking pace?

Lol. 

And why is LJ no.9? He's been pretty ineffective this year so far.

He was 1-3 at the time that he went down to injury, his passer rating currently sits at 13th, and he had like the 8th most interceptions in the league at the time. He was on a record setting pace in yards, and that was really it, and the league leader in passing yardage is rarely the MVP. Only like twice in the last decade. Often because your passing yardage leader is more the guy who had to throw it the most, not the guy who was most successful when he did.

Now, he may have still deserved a spot in the top 10, even given the above, but OP has also had a clear stance throughout that he isn't including guys without winning records. For the obvious reason that no player who loses more games than they win is going to be given MVP. 9-7 is the actual worst record a team has had while having a player selected MVP. And all the lower record winners (9-7, 9-5, 10-6) have been the runningback MVPs.

• Like 1