Sign in to follow this  
LETSGOBROWNIES

5 up, 5 down

Y’all know the drill.

Up.

1. The backs looked as good as we’d imagined, even if they were underutilized.

2. Njoku made a couple nice plays?

3. The OL looked much improved with Wills in there.

* That’s all I got.  Honestly couldn’t think of another positive.

Down.

1. Injuries. On top of having most of our secondary injured before the season even started, yesterday appears like it dealt us a rough hand injury wise.  We’ll see how things progress, but knee injuries for Wills, Phillips and Njoku is no bueno.

2. OBJ.  I don’t want to labor the point too much, but he’s not good.  He doesn’t make “wow” plays, he’s not making easy plays and he clearly needs to be force fed the ball or the diva antics/body language will follow.  He’s barely good enough to start based on the last 17 games, let alone be force fed targets.

3. Stefanski.  I’ll give him a ton of slack due to the absurdity of the whole offseason, but that offense didn’t look all that different from last year’s.  We need more running, less throwing and when we do throw we need to be spreading the ball around instead of forcing it to ObJ and hoping he gets a flag (because he sure as hell ain’t making a play). The fake punt was a terrible call.

4. The defense. Jesus they’re bad.  Top to bottom, from to back.  Nothing encoring at all on that side of the ball.

5. Special teams.  This is somewhat surprising as Priefer is a solid coach, but the execution of the fake punt was terrible and our kicker was a complete liability.  Yes, a PAT is only one point, but missing them is deflating as hell. We can’t continue to leave points on the field, especially when the offense is struggling.

6. Baker.  I get he’s got some legit reasons for looking less than stellar, but he’s gotta stop forcing the ball to OBJ.  If OBJ becomes a problem, you deal with that then by sitting him, but you can’t nuke the offense to appease one dude and he should know that by now.  He also missed a number of throws, and while I can understand that with the lack of prep time this offseason, he’s gotta start making those moving forward.

7. AB.  I like Berry long term, and I know they’re taking a long term view of things, but we have a ton of cap space and a roster that has some serious holes defensively. At some point he’s gonna need to consider burning though some of that if he’s serious about winning this season.

Not gonna overreact based off of one game, but there wasn’t much to like.

Interesting perspective @LETSGOBROWNIES , but I’m not so sure we’re actually interested in winning this year. The stockpile of cap might be in a move to “see what we have here” since it’s such a weird season. We already know Stefanski is on a longer leash than any head coach we’ve had but it’s not like he’s been able to get his hands on everything I’m sure he’d like to.

I’m an unreal pessimist about this team, but I’m starting to think that we went into the season as a declared “no win situation” and are using the year for talent evaluation primarily for Baker. I think the plethora of pass plays speaks to that. If we’re sunk out of the gates then it doesn’t hurt to keep the known commodities safe (Chubb and hunt) and find out if the unknown rise or in Baker’s case fall apart. 

17 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Interesting perspective @LETSGOBROWNIES , but I’m not so sure we’re actually interested in winning this year. The stockpile of cap might be in a move to “see what we have here” since it’s such a weird season. We already know Stefanski is on a longer leash than any head coach we’ve had but it’s not like he’s been able to get his hands on everything I’m sure he’d like to.

I’m an unreal pessimist about this team, but I’m starting to think that we went into the season as a declared “no win situation” and are using the year for talent evaluation primarily for Baker. I think the plethora of pass plays speaks to that. If we’re sunk out of the gates then it doesn’t hurt to keep the known commodities safe (Chubb and hunt) and find out if the unknown rise or in Baker’s case fall apart. 

I think you’re nuts if you think the Haslam’s are giving anyone a “let’s just see what we have here” year.  

Dude’s been an owner for like 7-8 years and has fired 2 coaches after one season, one after 8 games and one after 2 years.  His “giving a guy some leash” coach was 2 and a half seasons.

As long as he owns the team it’s win now mode imo.

Up:

1. The RBs looked good, despite not getting the ball enough.

2. Njoku had a nice game. Made one spectacular grab.

3. Wills looked fine before getting injured. Was worried about him due to not having a preseason to prepare for switching from RT to LT.

Yeah, I'm with you LGB, nothing else positive to note.

Down:

1. Seibert. Looks like we need a new kicker again.

2. OBJ. Him drawing a couple of flags was about the only thing he was useful for. We force fed him the ball and then he drops a pass that even a high school WR would have no excuse to drop, which led to the missed FG and then the Ravens scoring before the end of the half. That was the beginning of the end.

3. Defense. The run defense wasn't truly terrible (although it was far from being good), but Baltimore didn't need to run much when we were letting guys get WIDE open in the passing game.

4. Stefanski calling the fake punt. I actually didn't mind his game plan yesterday, but calling the fake punt that early in the game and deep in our own territory was just dumb. Luckily Baltimore only ended up with a FG after that, but it was still a bad decision.

5. This forum for going insane when we all knew we were going to lose and had a strong chance of being blown out.

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

1. Seibert. Looks like we need a new kicker again.

Iirc he did this last year and settled down pretty well.  We can’t honestly cut every kicker who misses two kicks.

He’s on a short leash though for sure, can’t leave those points on the field.

4. Stefanski calling the fake punt. I actually didn't mind his game plan yesterday, but calling the fake punt that early in the game and deep in our own territory was just dumb. Luckily Baltimore only ended up with a FG after that, but it was still a bad decision.

Yeah the timing and field position made it awful imo.  Unnecessary risk so early.

5. This forum for going insane when we all knew we were going to lose and had a strong chance of being blown out.

I expected the doom and gloom to come out, but man, it’s like we lost to a HS team or something.

That said, we look this bad on Thursday and I’ll be leading the charge.

UP:

1. Njoku

2. The OL did a nice job protecting Baker as a whole and opening up running lanes early against a very good defense

3. Ogunjobi looked solid

It's a good thing that #1 and #3 are probably not going to happen this week with injuries to a portion of those guys.

I am going freeform with my assessment.

Opening week and a Loss....a couple of things and its going to sound like some excuses. Baker battled today....their were some route running issues today, and some issues with drops. Baker made plays that were there to be made. I felt like he threw the ball away more times than not early, when playing conservative, vs forcing the ball into bad routs or not open WR's. I know some folks dont think he's working through his progressions....but my counter point is that there were several times I felt that the routs were not open, so instead of forcing a bad throw, he threw it away, especially after the Calais Campble tip/pick early.

Two good things on offense, our TE group can play....they all blocked solidly to very well all day, and they caught the passes that they were targeted with. We have the best backfield in Football....and Our oline can Run Block VERY well...they were handling the Ravens at certain points...to bad the score got us away from running the ball. I believe the offense showed what it should be about......Focus on the run with Chubb and Hunt, and focus the passing game around the TE's.

The Two most horrific players on the field yesterday was OBJ and Sendejo....OBJ 10 targets, 3 catches for 22 yards (and one of those catches he got a 15 yard facemask so 3 catches for a net 7 yards) The drop on 3rd and 2 in Ravens Territory, low catch he didnt make on 3rd and 7 (a top notch WR makes that catch everytime) and the Illegal touching when he ran a sloppy route on the sideline were inexcusable. I also have no idea why Hodge is getting more snaps over Higgins, we all known that Higgins and mayfield have Chemestry. Our starting O should be two TE's and have Higgins and Landry starting at WR, they both run routes and CATCH passes.

Dear OBJ, get your ISH together, or we will trade you for a 2nd and a conditional pick. With your Performance, your are NOT WORTH the headaches that come with you. Baker please get back to hitting the open man...and forget about forcing the ball to OBJ, when he wants to run proper routes, stay in bounds and get open, then throw him the ball because he's the best target in that progression.

Sendejo is a COMPLETE liability, Failed to come up and make the tackle on two crossing routes that turned into long runs, got beat deep by Brown, he also recklessly hit Ward on that Lamar scramble and I SWORE Ward was injured on that one. Not to mention he COMPLETELY whiffed on that special teams fake punt. 

Woods wants to play Man to Man on D, but he had to reconfigure his entire D to play zone with CB's 2, 3 and 5 out with Injury. IT MUST improve when we get our CB's back. Tanvier Thomas is a SPECIAL TEAMS only type of guy. We need a FS immediately, Randle should be resigned and Sendejo Cut TODAY......Austin Siebert...thats your ONE game...you miss another kick this year less than 50 yards and we should cut you too. 

Jedrick Wills Jr., Solid First effort young man....TE's, good job as a group, Ogunjobi and Myles both came to play......Shedon Richardson and Vernon, need to pick it up. LB's good job vs the run, we know that you have pass coverage deficiencies. 

And finally we HAVE to find a way to generate a pass rush, either scheme or someone else has to step up.

Week 2 in Cincy Thurs night, which I like...lets see what this coaching staff can do on the short turn around.

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3

Another one of those games where you move on and just hope the next one doesn’t look so bad. Hard to find much good out of this one. Tough film to watch, to be sure. Great RB play going to waste but man not much else to hang your hat on.

PFF Grades From Week 1 vs Ravens

OFFENSE

Baker Mayfield - 57.0

Nick Chubb - 60.2

Kareem Hunt - 64.4

OBJ - 46.6 

Jarvis Landry - 69.2

Austin Hooper - 60.7

David Njoku - 92.3

Jedrick Wills Jr - 63.2

Joel Bitonio - 75.8

JC Tretter - 74.0

Wyatt Teller - 91.2

Jack Conklin - 73.1

Kendall Lamm - 62.7

Rashard Higgins - 66.2

DEFENSE

Myles Garrett - 65.0

Larry Ogunjobi - 94.1

Sheldon Richardson - 76.8

Olivier Vernon - 48.3

Adrian Clayborn - 66.4

Jordan Elliott - 76.4

Jacob Phillips - 47.5

BJ Goodson - 38.4

Sione Takitaki - 66.3

Malcolm Smith - 87.2

Denzel Ward - 58.0

Terrance Mitchell - 60.9

Tavierre Thomas - 45.8

Karl Joseph - 51.8

Andrew Sendejo - 30.9 

Ronnie Harrison - 60.3

I would have given Conklin a better score, but fair overall.

Edited by candyman93

The 20 million a year WR with the lowest grade by a LOT.  Oof.

OV with a terrible grade considering what he’s supposed to be.

Goodson and Sendejo?  Oof.  These dudes need to be on a short leash.  

Agreed with most of the stuff here but I'll add a few:

UPs:
- While I disagree with some of the calls the new coaching staff at least doesn't look like a complete dumpster fire like last year.  We were getting to the line early, had some penalties but not an egregious amount like week 1 last year and even in a game where we got blown out still committed to the run.
- That was the toughest game on our schedule and it is behind us.

DOWNs:
- Baker's accuracy is really concerning especially when he feels pressure.  I know a lot of it was driven by last year's scheme being a complete mess but he needs to get back to his 2018 form ASAP.  He missed to many throws, see this article for a good breakdown

Wills did not look good... he looked like a rookie and will improve but far from ready to be a starter.

Up:

Chubb and Hunt had 132 yards.

Conklin looked good in the run game.

Down:

Beckham

everyone on defense outside of Ogunjobi, takitaki and Garrett

Baker

I think things will definitely get better. Hardest game of the year out of the way. If the browns lose to Cincinnati, I’m getting rid of direct tv.

Edited by pnies20