2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

The INTs were on Darnold not on separation. On the first pick 6 if the DB is on inside on the WRs break, dont throw the #$%&ing ball! And not for nothing...Berrios was getting open, and Cager was getting open so we have to stop with this BS that nobody is open and Darnold is free of all criticism. Rewatch the game if you can and pay attention to the receivers...they are open a lot more than we are giving them credit for. Darnold just played atrocious on Sunday. Lets call a spade a spade. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

The INTs were on Darnold not on separation. On the first pick 6 if the DB is on inside on the WRs break, dont throw the #$%&ing ball! And not for nothing...Berrios was getting open, and Cager was getting open so we have to stop with this BS that nobody is open and Darnold is free of all criticism. Rewatch the game if you can and pay attention to the receivers...they are open a lot more than we are giving them credit for. Darnold just played atrocious on Sunday. Lets call a spade a spade. 

Not saying that Darnold isn’t make poor decisions. I’m saying that he’s getting no help though. When you have 4 guys running routes and have 0 separation snap after snap... what should he do? The options are.....

1. Hold onto the ball too long and take sack after sack and risk your health.

2. Throw the ball away and risk IG most the time.

3. Force bad throws.

I truly feel bad for the kid.

Let's not forget Gase's terrible play calling.  On the first play of the game they ran PA and Sam rolled out left.  Three WRs ran routes, all of them were seam routes.  Why in the world would that be the route tree for a QB running away from his throwing side.  What good is a seam route on the right side of the field.  Even if he was open that throw is impossible.  It's a wasted route.  Just pure incompetence from a design standpoint.

There were times when Gase would design a decent play to get someone open and maybe just maybe you thought him and Sam just needed more talent to make it work.  The more and more you watch some of his play design it's quite awful as the example above.

Sam has been bad no doubt.  He's missing throws even when he has time and the receiver is open.  Not good all around.  A clean slate is needed.  Lawrence or Fields is a change that must happen unless something unforeseen happens with Sam these last 13 games and he magically finds his accuracy.

• Like 4

Ideal scenario for the Jets: fire Gase and promote Jim Bob Cooter to OC or passing game coordinator and see what he can do. If he's successful, leave the door open to bring him back. JBC is only 36 years old, has a good reputation, and other high profile candidates that have worked with him are Nick Sirianni and Brian Daboll. If they were hired who knows maybe they would keep him on the staff and it would at least provide some level of continuity for Sam... Sirianni has never called plays, so it would be an ideal match. 

Hell I'm at the point where I wouldn't even mind if the Jets stalled canning Gase until after the season if he would just give up damn play-calling duties. JBC was hired by Detroit in 2015 to be their QB Coach, which is important to note. It's not like they brought in an entirely different guy- he already was working with Stafford and the scheme was the same, but he changed the offensive philosophy, game plan, and play-calling when Joe Lombardi was fired and he was promoted to OC. 

Stafford's first 7 games (1-6)

• 171/263 (65% completion) 
  • 1866 yards (7.1 YPA)
  • 12 TD / 9 INT
  • 86.8 QB rating 

Stafford's final 9 games (6-3)

• 227/329 (69% completion) 
  • 2396 yards (7.28 YPA) 
  • 20 TD / 4 INT 
  • 105.1 QB rating 

Take it a step further?

• In the 84 games prior to JBC as OC, Stafford had an 83.9 QB rating, his TD-to-INT ratio was about 1.5-to-1, and his W/L record was 36-48 (.428).
  • In the 57 games spent with JBC as OC, Stafford had a 96.0 QB rating, his TD-to-INT ratio was about 2.7-to-1, and his W/L record was 30-27 (.526). 

The answer is clear, Jim Bob Cooter can potentially save Sam Darnold's career. Let him! 

• Like 3

On 9/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, SDotNova said:

I’ll take it. If Darnold is not the guy, we at least need him to play well enough to get a day 2 pick.

Right now if we get the 1st pick and the organization wants to go QB, at best we are getting a day 3 pick for Sam.

We are not sure Darnold is not our guy, Just think if you had a plumber come to you house, to install a faucet and sink or a carpenter come to install a new deck and both forgot their tools, they would be in the same situation Darnold, is in since he has been with the Jets, he has no tools. to work with either. 

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

We are not sure Darnold is not our guy, Just think if you had a plumber come to you house, to install a faucet and sink or a carpenter come to install a new deck and both forgot their tools, they would be in the same situation Darnold, is in since he has been with the Jets, he has no tools. to work with either. 

Not going to lie, as someone whose been very critical and very upset with Darnold’s play, this is a fantastic analogy. 

5 hours ago, Formula 14 said:

Ideal scenario for the Jets: fire Gase and promote Jim Bob Cooter to OC or passing game coordinator and see what he can do. If he's successful, leave the door open to bring him back. JBC is only 36 years old, has a good reputation, and other high profile candidates that have worked with him are Nick Sirianni and Brian Daboll. If they were hired who knows maybe they would keep him on the staff and it would at least provide some level of continuity for Sam... Sirianni has never called plays, so it would be an ideal match. 

Hell I'm at the point where I wouldn't even mind if the Jets stalled canning Gase until after the season if he would just give up damn play-calling duties. JBC was hired by Detroit in 2015 to be their QB Coach, which is important to note. It's not like they brought in an entirely different guy- he already was working with Stafford and the scheme was the same, but he changed the offensive philosophy, game plan, and play-calling when Joe Lombardi was fired and he was promoted to OC. 

Stafford's first 7 games (1-6)

• 171/263 (65% completion) 
  • 1866 yards (7.1 YPA)
  • 12 TD / 9 INT
  • 86.8 QB rating 

Stafford's final 9 games (6-3)

• 227/329 (69% completion) 
  • 2396 yards (7.28 YPA) 
  • 20 TD / 4 INT 
  • 105.1 QB rating 

Take it a step further?

• In the 84 games prior to JBC as OC, Stafford had an 83.9 QB rating, his TD-to-INT ratio was about 1.5-to-1, and his W/L record was 36-48 (.428).
  • In the 57 games spent with JBC as OC, Stafford had a 96.0 QB rating, his TD-to-INT ratio was about 2.7-to-1, and his W/L record was 30-27 (.526). 

The answer is clear, Jim Bob Cooter can potentially save Sam Darnold's career. Let him! 

Interesting breakdown. Definitely worth giving him a shot if Gase is fired soon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I do indeed love the analogy.  However, I think Darnold has the tools what he does not have is the faucet sink or lumber.  That is on the organization.

16 hours ago, doumeyer said:

It’s like the classic saying that if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it’s dumb it’s whole life.

How can we judge Darnold as a QB with Gase as our HC/OC and guys off the street as his weapons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s like the classic saying that if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it’s dumb it’s whole life.

How can we judge Darnold as a QB with Gase as our HC/OC and guys off the street as his weapons.

And on top of that, Gase turned out being a bad fit for Darnold. Darnold is best in chaos on the run. 

Gase's flaw is pretty clear at this point: he's unwilling to adjust his system to accommadate his talent. There's not nearly enough play-action roll out, mainly because Gase doesn't believe in having the QB's back to the defense. It's also why he calls for so much shotgun. 

I know people want Bieniemy or Roman but hear me out. Chiefs and Ravens offenses are both West Coast/Air Raid offenses like Gase's, but they implement a lot more RPO and are better play-callers. They led the league in play-action last year (1st/2nd) teams, but they also were top in shotgun run rate (1st/4th) - not as much passing on the run, more RPO. 

Look at the Rams, 49ers, Titans, Packers. West Coast offenses, they used heavy play-action (3rd/4th/5th/13th), but were low in shotgun run rate (32nd/27th/25th/18th).

I think the Shanahan/McVay scheme is best for Darnold by far. It would get him on the move and allow him to throw on the run a lot more, and help simply his reads. 

13 minutes ago, Formula 14 said:

And on top of that, Gase turned out being a bad fit for Darnold. Darnold is best in chaos on the run. 

Gase's flaw is pretty clear at this point: he's unwilling to adjust his system to accommadate his talent. There's not nearly enough play-action roll out, mainly because Gase doesn't believe in having the QB's back to the defense. It's also why he calls for so much shotgun. 

I know people want Bieniemy or Roman but hear me out. Chiefs and Ravens offenses are both West Coast/Air Raid offenses like Gase's, but they implement a lot more RPO and are better play-callers. They led the league in play-action last year (1st/2nd) teams, but they also were top in shotgun run rate (1st/4th) - not as much passing on the run, more RPO. 

Look at the Rams, 49ers, Titans, Packers. West Coast offenses, they used heavy play-action (3rd/4th/5th/13th), but were low in shotgun run rate (32nd/27th/25th/18th).

I think the Shanahan/McVay scheme is best for Darnold by far. It would get him on the move and allow him to throw on the run a lot more, and help simply his reads. 

Personally I want Daboll. Not sure what his play action, shotgun rate and all is though. I just like how he seems to get the best out of his talent. Doesn't make a player do stuff they're not good at.