2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We have to keep a few things in mind right now.

If we fire Gase with all the injuries right now we're going to show prospective head coaches the type of organization they're coming into. Factor in it is only year 2 and that will hurt us a ton. We not only didn't give him time(20 games so far, 21 this Sunday) but also even with pieces going down all over the place we still canned him mostly because of fan pressure. Reading up on the Houston situation and how allegedly Jack Easterby sabotaged BOB has created some uncertainty about them finding the right guy due to the lack of internal support. Their fans want Bieniemy, for good reason, but why would he tie himself to an organization that has someone working behind the scenes against the coach/GM. The Browns and 49ers in recent years went through this. 49ers had the whole Kelly and Tomsula experiments and Shanahan was hesitant to even accept the job. York had to shell out ?6? year deals to him and Lynch along with them making sure there we zero leaks during the process. The Browns couldn't find a guy and also tied everything to Baker, thats how they ended up with Kitchens, and it essentially costed them a year doing so. Stefanski was a candidate for them last year and luckily they got him to come back and take the job.

As bad as guys want Gase gone we need to play this out for now. If he digs his own grave then so be it, the team can at least say 0-16/1-15 is a fireable offense. We also cannot tie Darnold to the next Head Coach. Both of these things will limit our options in the search. A veteran coach will for sure walk away from that and a rookie will be hesitant to make this his first Head Coaching job should we show a lack of support in dealing with injuries and adversity.

I see that point. But that’s not giving us the rest of the season to evaluate offensive talent. I don’t trust him to let us see Darnold in a good way or any of our WRs for that matter as well as OL. So for me the sooner he’s out the better. Get JBC to show us what these guys on offense have and hire someone in the offseason. Gase is restricting us more than doing anything positive for this team (and mainly offense).

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We have to keep a few things in mind right now.

If we fire Gase with all the injuries right now we're going to show prospective head coaches the type of organization they're coming into. Factor in it is only year 2 and that will hurt us a ton. We not only didn't give him time(20 games so far, 21 this Sunday) but also even with pieces going down all over the place we still canned him mostly because of fan pressure. Reading up on the Houston situation and how allegedly Jack Easterby sabotaged BOB has created some uncertainty about them finding the right guy due to the lack of internal support. Their fans want Bieniemy, for good reason, but why would he tie himself to an organization that has someone working behind the scenes against the coach/GM. The Browns and 49ers in recent years went through this. 49ers had the whole Kelly and Tomsula experiments and Shanahan was hesitant to even accept the job. York had to shell out ?6? year deals to him and Lynch along with them making sure there we zero leaks during the process. The Browns couldn't find a guy and also tied everything to Baker, thats how they ended up with Kitchens, and it essentially costed them a year doing so. Stefanski was a candidate for them last year and luckily they got him to come back and take the job.

As bad as guys want Gase gone we need to play this out for now. If he digs his own grave then so be it, the team can at least say 0-16/1-15 is a fireable offense. We also cannot tie Darnold to the next Head Coach. Both of these things will limit our options in the search. A veteran coach will for sure walk away from that and a rookie will be hesitant to make this his first Head Coaching job should we show a lack of support in dealing with injuries and adversity.

I certainly see your point regarding firing a HC less than two years into his tenure.  However, I do not think anyone in the league is looking at gase as a competent coach.  So I do not see this as a detriment to getting another HC so soon, especially if the well respected JD is doing the hiring.  Everyone sees that he has taken a promising QB and made him worse.  Yes, the lack of talent is the biggest factor in Sam's regression, but a "brilliant offensive mind" or a "QB whisperer" or a "Peyton endorsed coach" allowing Sam to look as terrible as he is looking is not a good sign that the monikers fit the reality.  In fact, I believe Peyton is taking a quiet hit on his endorsement.

You also can't compare BoB to gase at all.  BoB is done because of his horrendous GM'ing.  Had Houston hired a good GM with BoB reporting to him, this may very well be a non-issue.  Also, Easterby is the one pulling the strings in Houston behind the scenes.  We do not have that issue because we do not have an Easterby.  We just have a clueless owner(s).

I truly believe the Jets will not be hampered by anything as long as JD does the hiring and Chrissy or Woody stay out the way.  The promise of cap space plus draft picks (including the possibility of a great QB prospect in Lawrence) plus a well respected GM in JD, makes the Jets situation for a new HC a pretty desirable place.

As an addendum, the BoB mess is one reason I do not want Jim Harbaugh.  Let JD be the GM with the HC reporting to him.  If JD hires the coach, you can be sure it will be someone he can work with stabilizing any dysfuction.  Bring in Jim, would create dysfunction.

Let's make it blunt. Is there a single person with football smarts that if we fired Gase today that would say.... "Ah man, they let a good one go and they let him go too soon?"

No chance. Around the league and football minds. They laugh at us and our HC.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Let's make it blunt. Is there a single person with football smarts that if we fired Gase today that would say.... "Ah man, they let a good one go and they let him go too soon?"

100% agree

The fast you fire Gase the better. I think Gase and Williams should both be fired along with Loggins. I would move Jim Bob Cooter to HC Shawn Jefferson to OC and Andre Cater to DC. You have nothing else to lose. Let some of these coaches try new things and see what happens. I'm tired of the excuse you don't make changes during the season because it will get bad. How will it get bad when it already is. 

People really overrate bad situations being a factor.  At the end of the day their is only 32 nfl head coaching jobs in the world, 32 people out of 7 billion or so on the planet.  And majority of Candidates if they spent their life in the game are alphas, most high level athletes are, so they are not going have this well i dont know if i can succeed there mentality, they’re gonna believe that are going to be the guy to right the ship.

Joe Douglas was one of the hottest if not hottest gm candidates out there and we offered him a job, post draft and fa and wasnt allowed to pick his own hc and he still took this job, because once again only 32 of them in the world.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They laughed when we hired him. We need to let him go after Sunday 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No one is going to turn down this job because a winless, non competitive team fired Adam Gase. 

23 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

lol The Texans are 0-4 with no picks in the top 2 rounds and have no cap space next off season. That's really bad. 

If we allowed gase to stay gm he'd do the same.

Obrien is better than gase as a hc though. At least hes coached good offenses. Gase turns offenses into turds 

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I see that point. But that’s not giving us the rest of the season to evaluate offensive talent. I don’t trust him to let us see Darnold in a good way or any of our WRs for that matter as well as OL. So for me the sooner he’s out the better. Get JBC to show us what these guys on offense have and hire someone in the offseason. Gase is restricting us more than doing anything positive for this team (and mainly offense).

This is emotional thinking. Jim Bob Cooter isn't saving this season. We have to be more rational then ever right now. 

Anyway, the team is letting this play out correctly. The season is all but lost anyway barring a miracle. Let these guys get healthy and then the decision will be made for us. Florio made a good point about when the Browns fired Hue Jackson, Kitchens came in and they got that initial spark and the Browns thought they had a guy and then you see what happened last year to them. 

19 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Anyway, the team is letting this play out correctly. The season is all but lost anyway barring a miracle. Let these guys get healthy and then the decision will be made for us. Florio made a good point about when the Browns fired Hue Jackson, Kitchens came in and they got that initial spark and the Browns thought they had a guy and then you see what happened last year to them. 

This isn’t about making the team better at this point. That moment has passed. It is about making the team less stinky.

Think of it like removing a turd from a clogged toilet. The turd may be gone but the pipes still have poop in them. It all starts with removing the turd. 

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

This isn’t about making the team better at this point. That moment has passed. It is about making the team less stinky.

Think of it like removing a turd from a clogged toilet. The turd may be gone but the pipes still have poop in them. It all starts with removing the turd. 

Okay.