2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

6 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way we fire Gase now. He is taking all the heat and keeping it off the Owners and JD. I think JD had this all planned out to tank and get T Law. I would go as far to say that JD probably even had a conversation with him in the past few months to make sure he is going in the draft. I think JD has his coach in his mind too. 

I think you’re giving JD way too much credit to be thinking like that. For starters we don’t even know if we will have the 1st pick. 2nd we don’t even know if TLaw will declare. And lastly there’s no way a coach is taking this job without knowing who’s the QB. We won’t even be able to sell this franchise to a HC without a QB plan. And until Week 17 is over (and TLaw decides his future)... we don’t know who our QB will be.

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Definitely no.   Tony Elliott just holds the sole OC title for first time ever this year and never has luxury of experience at NFL level.   Too risky to count that kind of coach as NFL HC.  Hiring him as OC is another story, though.

Not sure where you got your information but Elliott has been doing the play calling since 2015. He dealt with the run game and overall play calls while he had assistance with Jeff Scott assisting him on pass plays but overall Elliott is their leading OC and play caller. Maybe your right maybe you want someone with NFL level experience but then again look what that has done. Organizations are going out of the norm and hiring Coaches at the College level to get the young offense going as the league is adapting. If you guys want another retread Bill Obrien and Dan quinn just became available but to me retreads barely ever work. I think Matt Rhule has done a decent job with what he has in Carolina and I thought that was going to be your guy a couple of years ago before Mac turned him down having rights to the roster and he was a College coach. I honestly do hope you guys find a decent HC as the fans do deserve. If a young up and coming coach that has NFL experience you guys should look at Judge OC for Carolina. If you want a Coordinator that has been around for a bit then Beniemy should be your guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way we fire Gase now. He is taking all the heat and keeping it off the Owners and JD. I think JD had this all planned out to tank and get T Law. I would go as far to say that JD probably even had a conversation with him in the past few months to make sure he is going in the draft. I think JD has his coach in his mind too. 

I think just the opposite.  Everyone and their brother knows gase is crap.  The longer we hang onto him the worse Chrissy looks. 

As for the JD "plan", it is conceivable that he knew this would happen.  He knew gase would suck and this team would implode.  He knew it would take a couple of years to tear this decrepit pile of **** down and rebuild it.  I am sure JD also has a coach in mind, just like we all do, but until JD is given the authority to oversee the coaching staff like a real GM, it is all just mind games.

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

I don't know, I've seen an uninspired team make a coaching change and win a few games because the interim coach lit a fire in the team. They don't say any given sunday for no reason. 

I have seen that as well, but ask yourself what the probability is of the Jets winning a game with an interim HC.  I like to view decisions through the laws of probability.  Of course without any absolute data or information the probabilities as still subjective.  What is the probability of the Jets winning a game under gase?  0%, 5%, 10%?  Lets assume gase will not be fired until the bye week.  What is the probability of the Jets winning a game from weeks 12-16?  10%, 20%?  You have to keep in mind the barren roster we have along with the potential for JD to trade a contributing player.  My point is that the Jets winning under an interim HC are still pretty low BUT the "culture" change could be immense going into 2021.

Firing Gase won't mess up the tank, it's just going to bring a new energy to the roster & more effort from the players. Also end the Gase bashing for us. We're not beating anyone with Frank Gore & Perriman. We couldn't even score against Miami. But we will get a better evaluation of the players with a different voice going into next season. Watching Drake for the cardinals break out for the run was a reminder of how much better everyone else look. Everyone has acknowledged that, so I hate we can't get a good look at the young players because of this. 

Same on defense. The Colts CBs we brought in had a higher success rate in man coverage, but GW got them playing more zone. I seriously don't know if Desir & Wilson are the real problems there. Adams mentioned how much freedom he has in Seattle in their defense recently. Myles Garrett said GW wouldn't even let him do spin moves and stuff. I gave my concerns a pass because the defense looked good last year. Now it's clear that it was only because of Adams and now the things I was concerned about are happening. 

If we fire Gase, I'm fine with almost anything that can happen after that. We continue to suck & Lawrence says no, trade the pick for a house. We suck, Lawrence says yes. Darnold looks good and we win good games, we know coaching was a problem and we can just add talent around him. The rest of the schedule is too tough for us magically win games because of effort, but we can challenge teams and look prepared. 

I hope we lose but Darnold looks great without Gase so we can trade the picks and build around him. It's unlikely if we have a shot at Lawrence, but we would get better sooner than later IF Darnold is not the problem. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

Firing Gase won't mess up the tank, it's just going to bring a new energy to the roster & more effort from the players. Also end the Gase bashing for us. We're not beating anyone with Frank Gore & Perriman. We couldn't even score against Miami. But we will get a better evaluation of the players with a different voice going into next season. Watching Drake for the cardinals break out for the run was a reminder of how much better everyone else look. Everyone has acknowledged that, so I hate we can't get a good look at the young players because of this. 

Same on defense. The Colts CBs we brought in had a higher success rate in man coverage, but GW got them playing more zone. I seriously don't know if Desir & Wilson are the real problems there. Adams mentioned how much freedom he has in Seattle in their defense recently. Myles Garrett said GW wouldn't even let him do spin moves and stuff. I gave my concerns a pass because the defense looked good last year. Now it's clear that it was only because of Adams and now the things I was concerned about are happening. 

If we fire Gase, I'm fine with almost anything that can happen after that. We continue to suck & Lawrence says no, trade the pick for a house. We suck, Lawrence says yes. Darnold looks good and we win good games, we know coaching was a problem and we can just add talent around him. The rest of the schedule is too tough for us magically win games because of effort, but we can challenge teams and look prepared. 

I hope we lose but Darnold looks great without Gase so we can trade the picks and build around him. It's unlikely if we have a shot at Lawrence, but we would get better sooner than later IF Darnold is not the problem. 

There's 2 ways to look at it and I see both sides.

1. Keep gase bc he's so awful that it "should" guarantee us the 1st pick.

2. Fire Gase to not harness the development of the little bit of young talent we have. This is something he has already done in 6 games this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There's 2 ways to look at it and I see both sides.

1. Keep gase bc he's so awful that it "should" guarantee us the 1st pick.

2. Fire Gase to not harness the development of the little bit of young talent we have. This is something he has already done in 6 games this year.

My real point is that we're guaranteed the #1 pick with Gase or not. But IF we were to win some good games because of Darnold after Gase, it makes this draft easier and we can just use picks to build around. We would be the team with a 23 year old franchise QB, a boat load of 1st round picks, and $90M in cap space for JD & the new coach to work with. 

Edited by rickyt31

The thing that is hard to evaluate is players always end up injured with Gase and he handles injuries extremely poor. Like allowing Darnold to play with a sprained throwing shoulder or allowing Becton to play when he clearly was injured. 

There is something about Gase and injuries. because those players that were always injured in Miami with Gase ended up going elsewhere injury free and succeeding. 

Its hard to judge RBs under Gase because he doesn't know how to call run plays or run a offense. 

For me the sooner we fire the 3 of them (Gase, Loggains, Williams)  the better. Just to get the stink out. I’d promote Jefferson to HC, Cooter OL and Bush DL. I’d also hire a real QB coach (McCown, Pennington, someone, anyone).

if Sam and the rest of the team respond well, we win 2 or 3 games, and stay in games at least until the 4th quarter, I’d be okay with not getting TL.. The key is Sam playing well. If he doesn’t, regardless of the coach, I think we’ll have a hard time winning more than 1or 2 games. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not sure where you got your information but Elliott has been doing the play calling since 2015. He dealt with the run game and overall play calls while he had assistance with Jeff Scott assisting him on pass plays but overall Elliott is their leading OC and play caller. Maybe your right maybe you want someone with NFL level experience but then again look what that has done. Organizations are going out of the norm and hiring Coaches at the College level to get the young offense going as the league is adapting. If you guys want another retread Bill Obrien and Dan quinn just became available but to me retreads barely ever work. I think Matt Rhule has done a decent job with what he has in Carolina and I thought that was going to be your guy a couple of years ago before Mac turned him down having rights to the roster and he was a College coach. I honestly do hope you guys find a decent HC as the fans do deserve. If a young up and coming coach that has NFL experience you guys should look at Judge OC for Carolina. If you want a Coordinator that has been around for a bit then Beniemy should be your guy

Oh... Since Tigers have been pass heavy spread offense it is easy to think that Jed Scott was a chief in sharing gig.  Apologies.

However, the endgame option remains the same. lol.

Last year, Jets wanted offensive minded coach for HC but Matt Rhule, non offensive minded coach, won the HC job. Old demand led to Maccagnan to ask Rhule to accept Todd Monken as OC.  Rhule said goodbye and left.  I still don't understand why the hell Jets picked Rhule in first place.  If you want an offensive minded coach to be your HC then you don't hire anyone outside of that very requirement. If you fell in love with what Rhule would do for the team then you hired him for that plan, forgot about sobbing about offensive help.  Jets ended up an offensive flop. Stupid.

For 2021, I have no idea what requirement JD would suggest for HC gig.   Offense first minded coach or cerebral coach or both or whatever. 

As for me, I definitely am eyeing on Eric Bieniemy for HC.  Arthur Smith is next.

One guy I’ve seen brought up by Jets fans is David Shaw from Stanford. He and Douglas were on the Ravens at the same time and likely know each other.

While he grew up coaching on the offensive side, he’s very much a CEO type of coach. He seems like a Matt Rhule type of hire. 

43 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

One guy I’ve seen brought up by Jets fans is David Shaw from Stanford. He and Douglas were on the Ravens at the same time and likely know each other.

While he grew up coaching on the offensive side, he’s very much a CEO type of coach. He seems like a Matt Rhule type of hire. 

Zero chance Shaw will take NFL HC.  He mentioned in one of old media reports that he would consider NFL job if there was no Stanford job for him. And he is HC of this very university.   Besides, his annual salary is 4.x million if you still care about that. lol.

Edit: found the article.

https://herosports.com/david-shaw-nfl-interview-ahah/

Edited by JetsandI

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Zero chance Shaw will take NFL HC.  He mentioned in one of old media reports that he would consider NFL job if there was no Stanford job for him. And he is HC of this very university.   Besides, his annual salary is 4.x million if you still care about that. lol.

Edit: found the article.

https://herosports.com/david-shaw-nfl-interview-ahah/

I read those statements when I was trying to see what type of coach he would be. 
He’s been at Stanford for a while. I know NFL teams have tried to get him in the past with no luck. I’m making that call though and, if he’s the guy, give him an offer he can’t refuse. 

Edited by SDotNova

5 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I read those statements when I was trying to see what type of coach he would be. 
He’s been at Stanford for a while. I know NFL teams have tried to get him in the past with no luck. I’m making that call though and, if he’s the guy, give him an offer he can’t refuse. 

Need to develop some controversies on the campus.  Who knows Shaw may run toward to NFL.